Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Wifi extender/repeater for Karma.

Found this online. Just published. Did you do it? Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guys I started a new thread on hacking the Karma. I will post on there too.

Got mine installed as noted previously. After install I wanted to replace the SMA connector cable assembly that mounts to the plate because one lead attachment looked like partially broke so opened up and it was broke and no I had not pinched cable or anything else. Sent note yesterday to the guys at ITELIT in States and they shipped me two new assemblies immediately! Should have Monday. I am going to “reinforce” the cable connection to the SMA connector.

The first bracket installed per video does not have rubber bumper, no holes for them and not provided but really believe needed. The way the plastic plate mounts it is VERY difficult to get in back in place with the bracket and SMA connectors installed.

Second item is that the video indicates 1/2” holes. NO!!!! SMA connectors only need 1/4” holes.

I found some 10cm SMA male to SMA male jumpers that are real flexible that I am going to use in place of ones they provided though provided ones ok.

I did a little modification work to the foam piece for the GoPro camera in the stabilizer and with antenna off the controller fits! That antenna with connector and cables can lay off to one side of drone with no problem
081f22db817f84fdd8444870d0a8337b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Guys.....I think I am going to go a different route and will post as the mod is done....I order two "whip" style antenna's about 11" long (made for a router 2.4ghz)....These are quality units made for the Linksys line of routers (and others) and come with a TNC connecter....which I feel is more robust for this application....Then I took the controller apart (as per video...Thankyou!) to see what the other connection is....They are a micro IPX fitting found in many small RF applications....I ordered two TNC bulkhead fittings with short coax attached with the IPX on the other end (hopefully simply plug in to existing antenna connections)....The antenna's specs are a 7dbi gain and swivel so they can be oriented any way needed for best reception....When not in use....simply unscrew the antenna's from the fittings on the controller and throw them into the backpack....Issues ? The only thing I can see is the TNC bulk head fittings will be physically larger than the SML type and there may not be room behind the plastic cover to install these as is being done with the ITelite units...I may have to make a block of some sort that carries the TNC fittings and attach to the plastic cover on the controller...I have some 3M body moulding tape (two sided for auto application) that will work fine and keep things in place...For me....more compact....antenna's should be more "out of the way" while your flying.....
Last thoughts....I do believe that the gain with the ITelite antenna will be superior just looking at the surface area.....but improving the signal is the key....total costs will be around $35....Any thoughts ?

Reactions: Billybob
Hey Guys.....I think I am going to go a different route and will post as the mod is done....I order two "whip" style antenna's about 11" long (made for a router 2.4ghz)....These are quality units made for the Linksys line of routers (and others) and come with a TNC connecter....which I feel is more robust for this application....Then I took the controller apart (as per video...Thankyou!) to see what the other connection is....They are a micro IPX fitting found in many small RF applications....I ordered two TNC bulkhead fittings with short coax attached with the IPX on the other end (hopefully simply plug in to existing antenna connections)....The antenna's specs are a 7dbi gain and swivel so they can be oriented any way needed for best reception....When not in use....simply unscrew the antenna's from the fittings on the controller and throw them into the backpack....Issues ? The only thing I can see is the TNC bulk head fittings will be physically larger than the SML type and there may not be room behind the plastic cover to install these as is being done with the ITelite units...I may have to make a block of some sort that carries the TNC fittings and attach to the plastic cover on the controller...I have some 3M body moulding tape (two sided for auto application) that will work fine and keep things in place...For me....more compact....antenna's should be more "out of the way" while your flying.....
Last thoughts....I do believe that the gain with the ITelite antenna will be superior just looking at the surface area.....but improving the signal is the key....total costs will be around $35....Any thoughts ?

Well they better be small diameter cables to route into there. These patch antennas have pretty good gain and locked pairing, so improvement would be hard. With the current mod, if the SMA bulkhead connectors are the male type for antenna attachment, then one could put sticks directly on the Ctrlr unit. If they are std SMA, there are antenna out there, but there are SMA male bulkhead adapters with IPX tails on them out there too.

I am looking at antennas too and there are two from linksys that are friggin' expensive (over $100). So I found and will buy a pair of these cause it comes with the connecting cables too! And $10!
https://www.amazon.com/HUACAM-5-8GHz-Dual-Band-Wireless-Network-Antenna/dp/B06WD7FZV4
All I have to do is make a fixturing plate. Hey I know... just like at airports, those red and white painted towers... I can make a mini airport wifi tower and even mount a spotlight on it for the landing pad! Attach to it from a nearby stand for the controller. Bleh... not very mobile at that point.

I am looking at antennas too and there are two from linksys that are friggin' expensive (over $100). So I found and will buy a pair of these cause it comes with the connecting cables too! And $10!
https://www.amazon.com/HUACAM-5-8GHz-Dual-Band-Wireless-Network-Antenna/dp/B06WD7FZV4
All I have to do is make a fixturing plate. Hey I know... just like at airports, those red and white painted towers... I can make a mini airport wifi tower and even mount a spotlight on it for the landing pad! Attach to it from a nearby stand for the controller. Bleh... not very mobile at that point.

You can test your mod before you commit to anything permanent....Get a pce of plastic....a thin chunk of plastic cutting board or something similar (walmart)....cut it slightly larger than the plastic pce on the controller that works with the controller lid that you removed to get at the lone screw behind....mount your chassis / bulkhead fittings to the cutting board material....route your tails with the IPX fittings loosely and connect to appropriate connections in the controller....Now without putting the rear plastic cover back on , temporarily attach your bulkhead fitting plastic over the hole....can be tape or whatever....(dont alter the controller yet)....attach the antenna's and go fly your done....check and see if you have an improvement.....it may take a couple of flights to get a solid picture of the scope of the improvement (if any).....not happy....your controller is still virgin..
The antenna's are an omni directional type with gain....gain numbers from makers are always a little loose...but i would suspect a noticeable improvement from what I saw the controller presently uses...but testing will tell

Patch antennas like those used in the ITELIT package are nice size for the frequency and don’t have too narrow a signal path. I do not use whip style antennas on anything anymore except my Spectrum radio where it doesn’t matter because that stuff is always pretty close to me. I noticed they were using Sniper design in at least one of there models and I ran a Sniper on my 5.8 GHz stuff for a long time with good results.

Here is a little reinforcement I added to the SMA female connector for the ITELT package as I mentioned earlier. Weak link fixed I believe with Shoe-Goo. Flying this weekend hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90c79d9dd873b155e683a5df58eaf494.jpg

Looks nice--is that silicone? I just have to install mine now. Let us know how it goes.

Nope gets kind of stiff but does flex some and can be removed. Sticks very well.

The two patch antennas in the ITELT package each have 9 db gain I have found out. The original antennas in the controller probably have about 2 or 3 db gain. That is significant difference but then you add 2 SMA connections to the mix. Lot of debate on loss in connectors and cables but around .4 db per connector and some small loss in extra cable. Pretty significant overall gain with directional pattern will be much better than omni directional antenna.

Just wondering, has anyone tried flying with the rear panel removed from the controller. That plastic panel alone might/must reduce the signal strength. I also purchased the whip antennas mentioned above (Huacam) but before I install them I plan to make a test flight with the panel removed to see if there is any effect, just need to wait for some better weather.

The reduction of signal strength thru the plastic cover would be so small...should make no difference to range and signal drop out..In the past I have ran into plastics (black) that have some signal attenuation....but the manufacturer had used something (pigment) to obtain the "black" colour ...that caused some problem...can't imagine that was missed at the design / build level with the Karma...remember the antennas you ordered are also covered in plastic material

The two patch antennas in the ITELT package each have 9 db gain I have found out. The original antennas in the controller probably have about 2 or 3 db gain. That is significant difference but then you add 2 SMA connections to the mix. Lot of debate on loss in connectors and cables but around .4 db per connector and some small loss in extra cable. Pretty significant overall gain with directional pattern will be much better than omni directional antenna.

Good to hear it! Thanks!

Hi guys ! if you are looking for a more range or to have a more solid connection to your Karma then this Range extender from ITElite is a great upgrade for the The Go Pro Karma Drone:

Uav And Drone Antennas | United States | ITELITE ANTENNAS Inc.View attachment 152

Hi, is this range extender help avoiding home wifi interfering? Flying in my area I lost signal between karma and the controller a couple of times, even been really close karma and the controller (150 feet). Thanks

Hi, is this range extender help avoiding home wifi interfering? Flying in my area I lost signal between karma and the controller a couple of times, even been really close karma and the controller (150 feet). Thanks

Yes, I believe it will. It’s supposed to provide a boosted signal hopefully we’ll get less interference!

Mark, the RangePro antenna connection is a directional solution and it does help block out unwanted signals to keep the karma connection solid and free of interference.

The cables that come with the whip antennas is quite long ~20cm. Is that too long or can we coil them or zig-zag them around inside the case to shorten the length?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raith11458