Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Wifi extender/repeater for Karma.

I had a fly away due to lost connection.
Has anybody tried a wifi extender/repeater for the karma drone and the controller?

Yes, I have it and it works great- No issues here

Yes, I have it too. I believe it probably doubles your range--also I believe it emits a stronger signal.
I'm not looking for range . But better connection with karma. Is this for Wi-Fi or GPS or both.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm not looking for range . But better connection with karma. Is this for Wi-Fi or GPS or both.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is a pair of WiFi antennas that have about 3x the gain of the antennas in the controller. One essentially transmits control signals one receives video. Nothing to do with GPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just fitted and flown with the ITElite range extender. Now I have never experienced a problem with range on the stock controller setup, but then I'm fairly new to the Karma and only now starting to fly that much further out. I like a 'belt and braces approach', so seemed like a good idea. I purchased a spare controller for a knockdown price and ordered the ITElite kit through ebay. Took a couple of weeks to come from the USA - I live in UK. Nicely packaged and they included a spare SMA female connector, without request or charge - thank you ITElite. These connectors have a slightly delicate connection as mentioned earlier on this thread. I had no problem with this, but guess they included it just in case as I live so far away. A nice touch. I followed the installation video stage by stage and working very carefully and logically it took me one hour 15 mins to fit. No problems at all, just extra care needed routing the wires internally. Looks good on the controller. Initially I found the change in balance a bit odd at first when holding the controller, but soon used to that and I use the hand strap anyway - just in case I should drop it! So off to my favourite flying site - a lovely deserted cove - I'm enjoying exploring the rocky bits you can't access any other way! What can I say, controller worked a dream, no gltches and perfect video feed. I flew straight out to sea, I would say nearly 3/4 mile, could have kept going. I could still see the Karma and legal, but I personally won't ever fly further out than that. I only flew up to 275 feet, but that was me, I hadn't reached max altitude, could have gone higher. Sorry I can't provide any scientific or measured range details, but well pleased, it works well. Maybe I could have flown that distance on the stock controller anyway, but gives me peace of mind and that's worth a lot.
Thank you ITElite. I have no connection with this company by the way, just wanted to share my experience.

Just fitted and flown with the ITElite range extender. Now I have never experienced a problem with range on the stock controller setup, but then I'm fairly new to the Karma and only now starting to fly that much further out. I like a 'belt and braces approach', so seemed like a good idea. I purchased a spare controller for a knockdown price and ordered the ITElite kit through ebay. Took a couple of weeks to come from the USA - I live in UK. Nicely packaged and they included a spare SMA female connector, without request or charge - thank you ITElite. These connectors have a slightly delicate connection as mentioned earlier on this thread. I had no problem with this, but guess they included it just in case as I live so far away. A nice touch. I followed the installation video stage by stage and working very carefully and logically it took me one hour 15 mins to fit. No problems at all, just extra care needed routing the wires internally. Looks good on the controller. Initially I found the change in balance a bit odd at first when holding the controller, but soon used to that and I use the hand strap anyway - just in case I should drop it! So off to my favourite flying site - a lovely deserted cove - I'm enjoying exploring the rocky bits you can't access any other way! What can I say, controller worked a dream, no gltches and perfect video feed. I flew straight out to sea, I would say nearly 3/4 mile, could have kept going. I could still see the Karma and legal, but I personally won't ever fly further out than that. I only flew up to 275 feet, but that was me, I hadn't reached max altitude, could have gone higher. Sorry I can't provide any scientific or measured range details, but well pleased, it works well. Maybe I could have flown that distance on the stock controller anyway, but gives me peace of mind and that's worth a lot.
Thank you ITElite. I have no connection with this company by the way, just wanted to share my experience.

I am tempted to do the same after my one flew back twice yesterday after signal loss (1300' first time and less than 200' the next time).
Only realised today that the compass display also shows signal level (green/yellow/red) and only rarely even at takeoff have I seen green (it also gives you access to the map which again I did not realise).

(Also in the UK)

Hi IM,

Interestingly only once have I ever seen yellow... it's always showing green! Thankfully never seen red....yet! GoPro instructions for the Karma are a bit vague... I'm also still finding things out as I go along......

Reactions: Phil
Hi IM,

Interestingly only once have I ever seen yellow... it's always showing green! Thankfully never seen red....yet! GoPro instructions for the Karma are a bit vague... I'm also still finding things out as I go along......

You lucky. I like others even with new antennas rarely see green. I do not believe signal strength indicator on Karma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also tempted to try the DIY approach as the kit will cost $109 plus international postage and import duty.

Question, the internal anntenna are mounted on a ground plane. The antenna makers recommendations are for a 70x70mm ground plane.

Anyone tried improving the existing one or holding the controller with your hand more clear of them?

Also looking at this picture can't the whole bracket be removed freeing up room for connectors and reducing weight?

This picture from Twitter shows the ground plane bracket a little better.

Also not 100% sure what the connectors are to attached to the PCB in the controller?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-26-19-55-22-351.jpeg
    Screenshot_2018-05-26-19-55-22-351.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: mefisto82
This Gentlemen's YouTube video shows the drone GPS antenna chip on top and the two antennas talking to the controller on the belly.

Not very easy to access :)

Reactions: Billybob
I managed to completely remove the existing antennas (lots of screws have to be removed and a little bit of leverage)IMG_20180531_210359352.jpg IMG_20180531_214258911.jpg IMG_20180531_211411696.jpg which frees up more room for SMA connectors.

I ordered the wrong cables so stuck till they arrive on Saturday.

Well, removing the intergrated antennas does not really gain much space for mounting the connectors so I now have some angled ones on order.

As also suggested in this thread, mounting a box on the back and fitting the aerials on that may be a better idea but then it may not fit in the carry case...

I finally got all the bits and the will power to try and drill the holes in the rear plate where it would still go back together.
That actually worked with the cables just long enough and the square ends stop the connectors rotating inside.

You will see I have a choice of two antenna designs from a kit for a DJI Drone.

Controller paired with Karma and gives a green signal level (in the same room) and hopefully this Wednesday the weather will be good enough to give it a try.IMG_20180606_122447760.jpg IMG_20180606_122452589.jpg IMG_20180606_122936805.jpg IMG_20180606_123025577_HDR.jpg IMG_20180612_181512464_LL.jpg IMG_20180612_181631955.jpg IMG_20180612_183726071_LL.jpg IMG_20180612_185235419.jpg IMG_20180612_185524458.jpg

Reactions: mefisto82
Well, I could not wait so did a sunset test.

Results, even worse than intergrated antennas :(

The square ones worked best but range under 400' in my same test flight area.

Tried all orientations and also noted signal indicator would either be green or red, no yellow.

Such is life...

What do you mean by "fly away". The Karma will not fly away due to a lost connection; it will either return to launch, return to you, or even land in place if you also drain the battery. You should have no issues with lost connection as long as you are within FAA restrictions, meaning line of sight being able to see the drone and not flying behind objects. Another reason is flying in congested areas such as buildings or other populated areas where interference can occur from radio towers, cell towers, power systems, etc. This Karma range is about 2 miles and you should be nowhere near to that. I have never had a lost connection in flight, well, other than when I purposely shut the controller off to confirm how the Karma would react so if I had this in a real world situation, I would be confident in what was happening...
Not true, flies away exist
it happened to me and the drone didn't come back to its initial position.
I sent flight logs and the engineer team from gopro told me that everything was good prior to flight according to the logs. So they've decided to send me a new drone as i lost mine and no way to find it back.

Yas, GoPro was good enough to send you a new drone (most likely because they are just clearing inventory), but your understanding of controller connection and satellite connection is way off. Losing connection to the controller WILL NOT lead to a "fly away". Losing connection to the controller AND GPS will often result in a lost drone, but loss of GPS is required. When GPS is lost, it is not uncommon for the drone to appear to be flying erratically and if the pilot is inexperienced and/or panics, you will often get a crashed or lost drone. However, this is not the same thing as losing connection to the controller, and neither is inherently a fault of the drone.

There is only two conditions in which the drone will fly erratically and be nearly impossible to fly and that is when either there is a bad compass calibration/interference or there is sever wi-fi interference. Other than that, it's the pilots error.

I have an extra controller now (due to my dearly departed first Karma) and want to know what the consensus is here on an extender. I cannot/don't know how to/am unwilling to do any serious rewiring, etc. Something modular with a relatively easy set up would be great. Actual extra range is just gravy...what I really want is to not lose my connection all the time.

I have an extra controller now (due to my dearly departed first Karma) and want to know what the consensus is here on an extender. I cannot/don't know how to/am unwilling to do any serious rewiring, etc. Something modular with a relatively easy set up would be great. Actual extra range is just gravy...what I really want is to not lose my connection all the time.

I don't know if you will find a "consensus", but from what I have seen...it's been a mixed back. Reports have ranged from no improvement, to slightly better range, to much better range...but from what I have seen...re-wiring is definitely involved. With my lack of handyman skills, it appears to be "serious rewiring" to me...but others might debate that. I've seen at least one person with multiple controllers indicate that they prefer their regular controller for certain types of flight situations, and their extended controller for others. If you have the extra controller and like to tinker with that kind of stuff, it might be worth the risk.

As someone that doesn't have an extra controller and does not like to tinker with that kind of thing...I just try to accept the limitations of the Karma. I've generally been able to fly farther than I am comfortable flying while keeping my drone in line of site. I've had better connectivity and range at some places vs. others. How rural the location is, along with topography can make a big difference in reliability of the signal. I've had weak or lost connectivity, but it doesn't happen "all the time", and when it has happened on the rare occasion, in retrospect, it usually had to do with where I was flying.

Reactions: b00tl3g
Hi bOOtl3g,
I posted earlier on this subject and continue to have very positive results with the Itelite range extender. I purchased an additional controller for the knock down price of £60 as did not want to risk damaging my stock controller which frankly works well for me anyway. I fly in a fairly remote coastal area in the UK - not much risk of interference anyway and I never experienced range problems. However I like a belt and braces approach and as I gain experience with the Karma fly further out. So decided to buy the Itelite extender. OK I'm a bit of a modeller, but truly the video instructions are spot on and very easy to follow. Working really carefully, I think it took me about 1hour 15 mins - sat out at a table in the back garden, having a coffee on a sunny day! Most fiddly bit is making sure you tuck the wires in and don't catch them on the casing - just a matter of taking your time. Worked fine staright away and continues to. The weight of it upsets the natural balance of the controller slightly, but you soon get used to that and I never think about it now. Good luck if you go for it. Let's face it you've got a spare controller and if you're happy with the cost of the extender it's a way forward - works for me. Love my Karma!

I appreciate the direct feedback folks; and will keep an eye out for a bargain on the gear In would need to pursue this as I get more experience. Much obliged!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raith11458