Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Wifi extender/repeater for Karma.

Coax cables act like a "choke" (what you don't want) if they are coiled up tightly....best bet to have a "loose" route somewhere to get them a manageable length and back to where they will be attached...If possible not on top of the circuit board or too close to the battery....

The cables that come with the whip antennas is quite long ~20cm. Is that too long or can we coil them or zig-zag them around inside the case to shorten the length?

The cables extra cable needs to be routed to the empty space in each side of the controller. Please see this video :

at the 6 min mark is where you can see where the cables are routed.

Reactions: maubrey24
Finally tested the 8 dBi Huacam whip antennas, these are my results and issues I found. Flights were in 3 different directions from the same launch location (neighborhood with lots of wifi).
Altitude=300ft, flight distance is to weak signal and auto RTH.
Summary - Improvement
Direction 1. Stock ~ 1300ft , Huacam ~ 3030ft , Video good but choppy max dist.
Direction 2. Stock ~ 1700ft , Huacam ~ 3700ft , Video good but choppy max dist.
Direction 3. Stock ~ 1200ft , Huacam ~ 2700ft , Video good but choppy max dist.
Antennas were mounted to a piece of cardboard and held were they would normally be mounted. Antennas were pointed downward (pointed upward they would interfere with the back
of controller screen). Signal strength indicator was green/yellow at launch and out ~30ft, then turned red within 50ft of controller no matter what location the Karma was relative to the controller, front or above. Signal indicator remained red during each flight out to max distance. Even stock, the signal indicator never seemed accurate.
ISSUE - The straight cable design from the RP SMA connectors does not fit behind the antenna cover plate, not enough clearance and hit the stock antennas. Right angle RP SMA bulkheads are needed (like ITElite uses) or a custom bracket between the antenna cover and the RP SMA connectors.

Good to see that your results show a great improvement....Yes the bulkheads are a little large....What I am going to do is : I have found in my collection of electrical junk a plastic box that came from a dimmer switch...I believe the switch had failed and I kept the small plastic box the workings of the dimmer switch is housed in ...and it also happens to be black ) It is almost the exact size of the removable plastic panel on the back of the karma controller....I am going to mount my antenna's in the box (one on each side) and use 3m auto two sided tape to stick it on karmas removable panel....two small holes to let the cable thru into the controller////the 3m stuff is solid....and I can still slide the panel off if ever needed

I would like to see someone who purchased the ITElite antenna post their experience comparing stock and modified results. My guess is the ITElite antenna would give even better results since it is a directional antenna vs a Omni-directional whip. Hopefully someone will soon.
For the RP SMA connector clearance issue, I found a supplier out of Arizona that sells a right angle connector that reduces the internal height to 0.25" (6.3mm). This should fit within the space behind the plastic cover.

I am pretty sure you will not be able to snake wires inside case. Why do you think whip antennas will be better than even stock antennas? Big does not equate to better here. Whip antennas are linear. They have big null off the tip so you need right angle base. The gain on these are usually fairly low and as the radiation pattern is omni-directional they are not as effective as a patch antenna with - directional - same or even less gain. The original patch antennas have about 3 db gain. What do your whips have.

I am fully ready to test mine in a place I have flown before that has lots of interference. I have been blocked by personal events and weather. Earliest I can try there now is three weeks. I am. Confident though there will be a positive difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not sure what you after....the improvement has been posted. with over twice the range....for 20% of the cost of the ITElite set up....as it is omni directional it will have a dead spot directly above the tip....directional antenna's will have a dead spot behind the patch antenna........most of us are looking for an improvement maybe not to set some range record....best is in the eye of the user what he or she wants to pay for some improvement....and creating choices with some data to back it up allows the members to decide on which way to go....sounds like one of the reasons for the forum...

I am just an EE trying to fantom how a omni directional antenna can perform, distance wise as is being discussed, better than a directional patch antenna with slightly more gain. The only difference is cost. I guess if cost is biggest concern then you have best solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JCL, I look forward to your results with the ITElite antenna, especially how it performs with interference. No argument that the patch antennas should be better. My goal was to improve connection/distance where there is wifi interference and before I spent $100+ dollars I thought I would try a high gain whip antenna for $9. I'm not looking to get 3-4 mile range within congested airwaves, just more than the 1000+ft I was getting. BTW-I do get 12,000+ft with the stock controller in the desert and no wifi interference. I figured a high gain whip was worth a try since other systems use them successfully, ie. my DJI Mavic, (I know, different frequency but still omni). I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement but more flights will determine if the whip is a stable working option or not. Your results may change my direction.

Hey Guys.....I think I am going to go a different route and will post as the mod is done....I order two "whip" style antenna's about 11" long (made for a router 2.4ghz)....These are quality units made for the Linksys line of routers (and others) and come with a TNC connecter....which I feel is more robust for this application....Then I took the controller apart (as per video...Thankyou!) to see what the other connection is....They are a micro IPX fitting found in many small RF applications....I ordered two TNC bulkhead fittings with short coax attached with the IPX on the other end (hopefully simply plug in to existing antenna connections)....The antenna's specs are a 7dbi gain and swivel so they can be oriented any way needed for best reception....When not in use....simply unscrew the antenna's from the fittings on the controller and throw them into the backpack....Issues ? The only thing I can see is the TNC bulk head fittings will be physically larger than the SML type and there may not be room behind the plastic cover to install these as is being done with the ITelite units...I may have to make a block of some sort that carries the TNC fittings and attach to the plastic cover on the controller...I have some 3M body moulding tape (two sided for auto application) that will work fine and keep things in place...For me....more compact....antenna's should be more "out of the way" while your flying.....
Last thoughts....I do believe that the gain with the ITelite antenna will be superior just looking at the surface area.....but improving the signal is the key....total costs will be around $35....Any thoughts ?
"robust" "for this application"? The losses incurred on an SMA or a TNC connection are practically identical. Any gain you may achieve will be related to the actual antenna, not the attachment method.

Robust.....The connector is a little more substantial.....nothing high tech....will allow for a taller / more gain whip and less likely to stress out the fitting

Reactions: Billybob
I had a fly away due to lost connection.
Has anybody tried a wifi extender/repeater for the karma drone and the controller?

I have one installed now--will test it. I have no way to measure the signal though :(

The TNC bulkhead fitting with coax attached finally showed up....I have the Linksys 7dBI antenna's already....so I have all the parts here to do the mode.....The weather here has been so poor (winter will just not quit !)....Hoping to get things hooked up and out for testing this coming sunday.....I live on a farm so I have a route for testing planned....I previously took Karma from the house to the back fence line of the field (80 acres)....approx 2500'.....twice I have done this getting video footage of the farm and when I approach the back fence line the video gets quite choppy....always got a little worried and turned karma back towards home at that point.....so I will try this flight with the modification in place.....I will keep all posted of results...

What do you mean by "fly away". The Karma will not fly away due to a lost connection; it will either return to launch, return to you, or even land in place if you also drain the battery. You should have no issues with lost connection as long as you are within FAA restrictions, meaning line of sight being able to see the drone and not flying behind objects. Another reason is flying in congested areas such as buildings or other populated areas where interference can occur from radio towers, cell towers, power systems, etc. This Karma range is about 2 miles and you should be nowhere near to that. I have never had a lost connection in flight, well, other than when I purposely shut the controller off to confirm how the Karma would react so if I had this in a real world situation, I would be confident in what was happening...

Ok guys I’ve been flying drones for 3+ years ima reporter , I just purchased a Karma set it up ,updated everything , went through all set up steps flew it first day went fantastic but only about 200’ distance . Yesterday at a news event I’m reporting on set up the Karma ... every step was done pre flight steps . Great launch sight everything was fantastic , took it up 143’ directly above me that’s all I needed everything going great vide feed clear contact to satellites perfect .... then I hear Lost GPS reading land now manually ... ok landing dropped about 14’ it stopped jumped up about 11’ still saying land now using joy stick and I’m doing that but Nothing is working . Suddenly it tilts to the SE takes off full speed no control whatsoever ever . It should have hovered or returned but being no GPS none of it was working . The drone raced fast to the SE until we could no longer see it straight into the Ozark national forest . The drone flatbfailed to function at the very least it should have hovered . It flat took off full speed and I’m holding the controller at that point allowing the unit to do what it should . I called GoPro they downloaded my flight log .... the controller recorded my attempts but the drone itself failed to record a single thing it stated NA ...NA . So now they are Reviewing the problem they can’t review the problem being the drone did not record a thing ... 90 no fuss replacements I hope so I’m Not happy with this . I read a lot of stories of loosing connection but thedrone would hover of return only 2 reports of complete loss of the drone itself . So yes I dead it happens that drone flat failed to function yet the controller had no problems .
Again I’ve been flying drones my favorite unit is the 3DR I have 2 of them fit with GoPro cameras , range extenders , WIFY extender chips installed in the 3DR . Real shame 3DR abandoned their drone because I’ve used them and had nothing but amazing success .
So first go 4 day ownership the Karma drone itself failed terribly . The other reporters standing with us was shocked it would not respond or hover or return it flat took off on its own and flew far far away .
Please think before you reply I’ve been building drone updates for television stations for a good while I know the in and outs of upgrades installations . I still am blown away that drone just shot off the way it did .

Ok....I managed to get some flight time in today and took Karma out of my comfort zone....After getting the modification done (installing the extra housing to mount the TNC bulkheads to) I attached the 7dBI antenna's and did a short "boot-up" flight to make sure all was well.....seemed OK.....so I topped up the batteries and went out for a proper flight....My first attempt took me to the back fence line of our property (just under 2500')....to my disappointment the video was just as choppy as I remembered flying Karma without the mod....got karma back to the yard site.....did a little grumbling...LOL...went in ....had a rum...thought about things for a while.....and came up with a possible problem / solution....looking at how I had the antenna's oriented for that flight it dawned on me that their radiation may not have been optimal.....the battery was again fully charged and I headed back out for another try....this time I positioned the antenna's where they would be more effective....by now a stiff breeze was blowing at Karma (head wind) as I flew to the back fence line....total control....steady video feed....so I decided to keep going....well i ended up at the next farms road staring at my neighbours yard site....4180' away.....Thats farther than I ever need to take Karma as I like to keep things in sight....video feed was still steady....I am too chicken to go any farther so I had a quick trip home (with the wind) and now am happy with the results...hopefully with a better signal more reliable flight times will be the result.....I chose better quality antenna's and TNC fittings that are physically larger and stronger for the "on / off" scenario that will always be the case....as the antenna's are in the way when not in use....Please see the pics on how the antenna's where orientated for this flight....Thanks all !DSCN1742.JPGDSCN1743.JPGDSCN1742.JPGDSCN1743.JPG

Where did you get the antinnas ? They look way better than the block style I’ve used before , thanks for posting you helped me to hopefully get these instead of the current one I’m about to invest in . I’ve used the block type with my 3DR and improved the connection greatly . ✌

these are the ones I purchased....they are still not expensive....Ebayfullsizeoutput_474.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playboy