Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Release Notes for New Firmware

Six

Reaction score
Hi All

I see there is new firmware for the Karma drone and controller. Does anybody know where I can view some release notes? I think I saw that there is a new feature to locate the drone... Also something about linear FoV being default on now?

Do you have a link for the new firmware update?

No, I saw it when I connected my controller to my home wifi. It then offered the download and update for the grip and Drone. I think there were some notes about the changes on the screen but I missed them!

My Karma updated to version 1.50 the other day but I can't find any release notes anyplace online. I haven't seen any new options yet so I'm guessing it was just some bug fixes or something small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what is meant by the following description in the latest Karma Release notes?

"Adds automatic panning to Cable Cam shots"

After the update I tried a Cable Cam shot and expected the camera to automatically pan from its first camera angle at the cables beginning point to the second camera angle at the end of the cable cam but it did not do that. I don't see any changes to the Cable Cam function. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Does anyone know what is meant by the following description in the latest Karma Release notes?

"Adds automatic panning to Cable Cam shots"

After the update I tried a Cable Cam shot and expected the camera to automatically pan from its first camera angle at the cables beginning point to the second camera angle at the end of the cable cam but it did not do that. I don't see any changes to the Cable Cam function. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Good question and I will try and look tonight. I just had my drone out this weekend and used the Cable Cam. Generally I would set point A and B, but before setting B, would pan the direction I want, then set B. Since this update, there is no A & B, but beginning and end points. I saw nothing about changing the pan, but did notice on one of my shots, the pan was different than what I set it. Maybe it defaults to a certain position, or maybe there was now a 2nd slider, so now you adjust speed and pan? it is possible I did not see it per the bright sunlight. We will see...

I will say I don't like the settings for setting the video camera to default whenever connected to the Karma, as it puts it 1080/60/Linear. I wonder why not 2.7K since it will allow 60/Linear at higher quality (maybe file size)? Either way, I originally set it for camera defaults off just after the update, but after I took the Hero 5 off to attach to the gimbal, setting it to 2.7K/60/Wide, then put it back on the Karma, it set it to 1080/60/Linear. Generally it would keep the prior settings, and on this flight I did not confirm settings and sure enough after the flight it was 1080/60/Linear. Going into the settings, it was now set to automatic defaults. It's possible I accidentally set it when I went into settings earlier the same day, but I don't thinks so. I need to keep an eye on it, but with the cable cam not staying on the pan I manually set, that was now two hiccups I saw after I updated it about a week ago. Well 3 hiccups. The 3rd was when I was on the top of a granite outcropping. I had a nice flat little shelf sunken in the granite about a foot I wanted to use for launch. I lost compass for the first time ever, but pulling it out of the hole resolved it.

Anyway, recognizing GoPro sets these video default settings, it would be nice to also have a user default. There are times I want 120 frames, or even a wide FOV, but the reality is 80% of shots are 2.7K/60/Linear, so I prefer not think about it until I change up my flying. Additionally, when I pull this off the Karma, and put on the gimbal, or even alone above or below water, I usually want a wide FOV, so it would be nice to potentially have user defaults for each device be it Karma, gimbal or no accessory...

Last edited:
Reactions: kabonski
Good question and I will try and look tonight. I just had my drone out this weekend and used the Cable Cam. Generally I would set point A and B, but before setting B, would pan the direction I want, then set B. Since this update, there is no A & B, but beginning and end points. I saw nothing about changing the pan, but did notice on one of my shots, the pan was different than what I set it. Maybe it defaults to a certain position, or maybe there was now a 2nd slider, so now you adjust speed and pan? it is possible I did not see it per the bright sunlight. We will see...

I will say I don't like the settings for setting the video camera to default whenever connected to the Karma, as it puts it 1080/60/Linear. I wonder why not 2.7K since it will allow 60/Linear at higher quality (maybe file size)? Either way, I originally set it for camera defaults off just after the update, but after I took the Hero 5 off to attach to the gimbal, setting it to 2.7K/60/Wide, then put it back on the Karma, it set it to 1080/60/Linear. Generally it would keep the prior settings, and on this flight I did not confirm settings and sure enough after the flight it was 1080/60/Linear. Going into the settings, it was now set to automatic defaults. It's possible I accidentally set it when I went into settings earlier the same day, but I don't thinks so. I need to keep an eye on it, but with the cable cam not staying on the pan I manually set, that was now two hiccups I saw after I updated it about a week ago. Well 3 hiccups. The 3rd was when I was on the top of a granite outcropping. I had a nice flat little shelf sunken in the granite about a foot I wanted to use for launch. I lost compass for the first time ever, but pulling it out of the hole resolved it. I put it in the air and almost immediately the controller did not show any status other than it was recording. I only saw the camera's real time video. The green battery bar was still present, but 20% the size and had no percentage, nor any other elements such as altitude, distance, etc. Scary but I still had full control and it was stable so I just landed it. once I got off the granite cliff, all was well. But again, interesting I never had any of these issues before the update. We will see...

Anyway, recognizing GoPro sets these video default settings, it would be nice to also have a user default. There are times I want 120 frames, or even a wide FOV, but the reality is 80% of shots are 2.7K/60/Linear, so I prefer not think about it until I change up my flying. Additionally, when I pull this off the Karma, and put on the gimbal, or even alone above or below water, I usually want a wide FOV, so it would be nice to potentially have user defaults for each device be it Karma, gimbal or no accessory...

Thanks for the great response. I have yet to do much testing with the Karma (although I really like it so far) but I agree with you about the camera settings! 2.7k/60 is also my go to for videos. It seems there is a lack of good info and resources online about the Karma. I also fly a Solo and Mavic and the forums for those are great. Any other sources of info that you know of?

Thanks for the great response. I have yet to do much testing with the Karma (although I really like it so far) but I agree with you about the camera settings! 2.7k/60 is also my go to for videos. It seems there is a lack of good info and resources online about the Karma. I also fly a Solo and Mavic and the forums for those are great. Any other sources of info that you know of?

Really the only sources I have found is YouTube and these forums; like you said also the DJI and others, though like anything you have to extract reality from bias. Obviously there are some very good drones out there with the Mavic leading the way, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Karma flexibility in removing the camera and gimbal is a tremendous strength over the others, with the clear weakness of autonomous flight. For me, the flexibility of the Karma brings me to the reality that it is more important to have an all in one solution, over a specialized aerial only platform. Like a BMW, I don't need this thing to park for me, I just make sure I navigate it in an area, and within my capabilities as to reduce the chances of failure. The camera is arguably the best out there unless you are talking an SLR drone, and it even affords more flexibility in offering wide shots, where the Mavic is quite narrow, which BTW helps compensate for the quality of the video.

Anyway, I did test the update a little last night though will be much more thorough this weekend. Within the Cable Cam, you now have the option for "Auto Pan". Selecting this option will make the camera pan slowly. It "appears" to pan towards either the controller or launch site, but again i need more testing to confirm how it chooses the pattern. Like you said, there is very little data online and even a chat session with GoPro could not confirm. I do like having control of the pan, but similar to the Reveal, this does add another layer of movement to the video which once you get it mastered, could be real cool. Either way, forget the auto pan, and start working on a follow me feature...

Another update I like is the "find my drone" feature, though again there are no instructions. I think I found it by pressing the compass, it does show a map and where your drone is/was at last connection including GPS coordinates. Again, I have to test it more thoroughly.

I also want to play with the auto exposure, though arguably I have not needed it yet. I imagine it would be very good for sunsets, or in direct sunlight which is always the enemy.

Reactions: kabonski
The new "Find My Drone" feature might be helpful from some of the fly-aways I read about here.

The new "Find My Drone" feature might be helpful from some of the fly-aways I read about here.
Per my testing, find my drone is quirky, but better than nothing to get you in the neighborhood. Once you get about 70' or so, the controller will not show you the correct direction, so you can only see it by changing your direction of movement while walking and looking at the distance to Karma until it starts closing. In effect, you are blind. But, if you still have battery, you can make the drone chirp, so that will help. Either way, it's better than nothing, but I would like a log or cookies you can trace.

Reactions: McToddy
Per my testing, find my drone is quirky, but better than nothing to get you in the neighborhood. Once you get about 70' or so, the controller will not show you the correct direction, so you can only see it by changing your direction of movement while walking and looking at the distance to Karma until it starts closing. In effect, you are blind. But, if you still have battery, you can make the drone chirp, so that will help. Either way, it's better than nothing, but I would like a log or cookies you can trace.
Good to know... I didn't know you could trigger the drone to chirp. +1 for your tip sir!

Hi there. The find my drone feature was no use at all to me when mine did a fly away. The gps coordinates was on someone's roof. Not even in the direction I saw it fly off in. The actual drone needs a permanent Gps finder on it, that will put out a continuous signal so you can go straight to it. No fuss. How easy would that be! Get to it go-pro!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS