Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma refusing to pair - Reverse engineering investigation

Hahahaha, I was just checking to see if you were the now infamous Louis Nobre with his massive team of ex gopro engineers that he has working for him in France. Your doing a great job mate. Take care.
All good , I did chase up many of the GoPro Karma engineers, if you look in the right places they are easy to find with the right search term (gotta love LinkedIn). Most of them went to Slido, if you have not looked at there drones they are really worth look at. Biggest issues is they are normally sold out. Bit more expensive than DJI but thats for a reason.

Reactions: Ironspear
is there a cmos battery on the karma drone?
i think this not a cmos battery, i have measure mine voltage one of them was 1.7 v and other 2.2v but when battery from drone was inserted and drone was powered it had 3.3 v and 3.2v and if you look at the board marking it has ''C'' it more likely this is some capacitor

sounds like all the normal symptoms, were are you located and do you know what revision your board is ?
East coast US - I have a revision C board

Attachments

• karma-board-rev-c.jpg
    karma-board-rev-c.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
East coast US - I have a revision C board
All good , I did chase up many of the GoPro Karma engineers, if you look in the right places they are easy to find with the right search term (gotta love LinkedIn). Most of them went to Slido, if you have not looked at there drones they are really worth look at. Biggest issues is they are normally sold out. Bit more expensive than DJI but thats for a reason.
Likewise, I also have revision board C. What should I do? I'm ready to experiment!

Attachments

• photo_2023-10-01_12-16-44.jpg
    photo_2023-10-01_12-16-44.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: mefisto82
Hi all,
I'm an engineer and my son's Karma stopped talking to the controller a few months ago. I was not able to deal with it for some time but I thought I would take my chances to bring it back to life.
I am starting this thread to log progress and report findings... I'm also hoping that maybe a more experienced fellow engineer might drop any ideas to help out.

The fault we are seeing is that the gimbal would not power on and the drone will not talk to the controller -- pairing is impossible. There is no other fault visible and the camera & gimbal work fine if connected to a handheld stabilizer.

I'm beginning to write this on my third second session on the drone -- so I do have some ideas of what is going on but allow me to document the steps so far at first.

Karma controller
The controller runs on an AMLogic chipset. Others have shown how to get the controller firmware downloaded to a PC. Look around this forum for more information. We'll also look inside the controller firmeare

Karma architecture - Initial inspection
Inside the drone there is a smaller STM32 ARM MCU and a more powerful TI DSP (DM368) running Linux. The smaller MCU handles the sensors and flight operations while the larger DSP handles the video coding from the camera.

- There are connectors that are marked "DEBUG" for both the STM and the DM CPUs (YEAH!!)
- Most of the fine-pitch components are potted. Although this is a good thing, it means there won't be any direct probing or component (re)soldering.
View attachment 615
First debug attempt
The first attempted action was to get a cheap USB logic probe and connect to the signals, especially those marked as "Debug". The are UARTs running on 3.3V 115200, as also shown on my vintage Tek 465 oscilloscope. When the UART pins were identified, the next step was to connect a USB-to-UART module to each connector, to get a console for each CPU.
View attachment 611
View attachment 613
View attachment 612
What seems to work....
The STM was working just fine and reports that it can talk to all of the sensors - except for the gimbal... It can't detect it. An interactive shell (nsh) is available and there are applications to run to test sensor status etc.

And what doesn't...
As you can see from the screenshots, the issue is that DM368 does not boot....(left terminal window). It reaches the user bootloader (UBL) but doesn't load the application code.... Is it some bad block in NAND, a misconfigured DDR, something else??
View attachment 614
What is that hole in IC (GPS Amotech-GPR7-C70516-18)?

Finally, I assembled a bootable image of the SD card, for flash Karma firmware 😀

can you share what exactly you are doing? not really possible understand what and were are you connecting and what. thanks

can you share what exactly you are doing? not really possible understand what and were are you connecting and what. thanks
I write a boot image with the prepared firmware on SD card, connect the test points so that the karma boots from the SD card, and send commands to debugging console, for start the flash (can be automated)

I plan to post complete instructions and necessary files in the near future.

I write a boot image with the prepared firmware on SD card, connect the test points so that the karma boots from the SD card, and send commands to debugging console, for start the flash (can be automated)

I plan to post complete instructions and necessary files in the near future.
did you replaced NAND chip? original is NAND: 256 MiB but yours NAND: 512 MiB

Hi, what was the process in changing the batteries? It looks like it is soldered in with a "bracket that is spot welded to the battery.... Cheers!
there is no point to change it, as the other collogues bozmanx and Serega.04 mentioned the issue is in NAND and bootloader , as I´m my self have 2 karma, on serial port bootloader not able to start or image was not found. And don´t thing any battery replacement can fix NAND or soft issue

Reactions: AussieAussieAussie!
Repair with minimal disassembly

SD-Card image (Win32DiskImager)

insmod /opt/sentinel/modules/mtd_write_enable.ko dd-new if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=/home/backup/mtdblock0.bin conv=sync,noerror status=progress flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0 nandwrite -p /dev/mtd0 /home/orig/mtdblock0.bin

Any ferrite bead 0603/0805 or zero-ohm resistor

MicroSD Card Connector

Use of this information is entirely at your own risk.

I proposed this method as an option for enthusiasts who are willing to do everything at their own risk and take responsibility for it, but not as a commercial solution.

IMG_2023-10-20-22-56-09-768.jpgIMG_2023-10-20-20-27-11-021.jpgIMG_2023-10-21-09-57-37-194.jpgIMG_2023-10-20-20-25-48-169.jpgIMG_2023-10-20-23-00-32-833.jpgIMG_2023-10-20-21-30-21-016.jpg

Last edited:

insmod /opt/sentinel/modules/mtd_write_enable.ko dd-new if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=/home/backup/mtdblock0.bin conv=sync,noerror status=progress flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0 nandwrite -p /dev/mtd0 /home/orig/mtdblock0.bin

View attachment 695View attachment 696View attachment 697View attachment 698View attachment 699View attachment 700
what resistor have you used in TP2 ? any specific or just any resistor ?

Reactions: mefisto82

View attachment 695View attachment 696View attachment 697View attachment 698View attachment 699View attachment 700
First and foremost, I wanted to express my gratitude for your latest video instructions. I've been eagerly anticipating this and am truly excited to give it a try.
While I'm relatively new to this endeavor, I consider myself adept at following video tutorials. Thanks to dedicated professionals like yourself, I've managed to keep all my other Karma parts up-to-date.

I'm operating on a PC. Could you direct me to any video tutorials for effectively utilizing "GTKTerm"? or any terminal emulator would work?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaytt330