Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma refusing to pair - Reverse engineering investigation

Y'all! DEAD DRONE FLYS AGAIN!

I had the issue where the controller couldn't see the drone, and the gimbal was limp. I tried unpairing and of course was unable to pair again. I figured it was toast.

But I found that if I attempt to start it up continuously, it occasionally works! So I eventually got it paired again. It still acts that way, but if I keep at it, I can get it going every time.

Pull batt. Push batt. Press power. Floppy gimbal? Repeat. Could take 10-20 tries, but once you see that gimbal straighten up, it's onnn!!!
Well done mate. I have been following this issue on this forum since it started. To tell you the truth I have never read anything about attempting to restart the quad so many times. You may be onto a winner there. Keep up the great work.

Well done mate. I have been following this issue on this forum since it started. To tell you the truth I have never read anything about attempting to restart the quad so many times. You may be onto a winner there. Keep up the great work.
We have been doing something similar, once for two hours without a result like that. Would be interesting to see what's happening under the hood. Its like there is an intermittent fault in one of the components.

Reactions: Ironspear
Yeah, I wonder if it's just the battery. But I'm not really inclined to spend any money to find out, especially now that I can actually get it to work. I could probably figure how how to use a USB to serial device (in recent experience, I got XP running on an old Intel Mac, so I could use a USB-OBDII interact with my Toyotas using Techstream), but I don't have one.

You should go to the Facebook karma groups and see if there is anyone near you that will let you plug there known working battery into your drone. If it ever anoys you enough at least you know what to keep an eye out for on Ebay.

Greetings. I was bayed 2 GoPro Karma drones. First cant pair with controller...i was trying to put different firmware but I cant successfully paired with drone. Then I bayed another controller but again no success in pairing. Problem is definitely in drone. Then I buyed anotehr Karma drone who was paired with their controller. I backup their firmware (2.50.1) then upload on first controller....but no success.
What if is problem in drone....in BT/Wifi board beneth motherboard? This is only my guessing.

Greetings. I was bayed 2 GoPro Karma drones. First cant pair with controller...i was trying to put different firmware but I cant successfully paired with drone. Then I bayed another controller but again no success in pairing. Problem is definitely in drone. Then I buyed anotehr Karma drone who was paired with their controller. I backup their firmware (2.50.1) then upload on first controller....but no success.
What if is problem in drone....in BT/Wifi board beneth motherboard? This is only my guessing.
The issue is with the drones bootloader, changing the firmware on the controller will not fix this.

Reactions: mefisto82
Interesting, would like to see what's happening on the UART port. Sounds like you have a different root cause to what most people are suffering from as its normally a boot failure for the DM368 due to a broken Uboot image in the NAND. What country are you in ?
It happens to me too, every 20 -30 time it straiten the gimble, but after 1 min power button gets red blinking and then power off if power on again gimble again not working

It happens to me too, every 20 -30 time it straiten the gimble, but after 1 min power button gets red blinking and then power off if power on again gimble again not working
that sounds more like the OS is crashing or something is overheating. Same as above you need to connect a USB to UAT on J2 and see whats going on.

Im happy to loo kat these issues for people if you send your drone to me, you have to pay shipping to Australia and back to where you are.

We have made some break throughs, if you have a revision C mainboard we can fix this easily. We will release a video on the process at some point but need more revision C boards. You can determine this by removing the six hex screws that hold the cover on (two under the battery and one under each arm). There is a white label in the bottom right hand corner of the main board which shows what version it is. If you pay for shipping to get your drone to and from Australia we will fix it for you for free. We have fixed this for several revision C boards already. If you would like more information, we can be reached at [email protected].

We have made some break throughs, if you have a revision C mainboard we can fix this easily. We will release a video on the process at some point but need more revision C boards. You can determine this by removing the six hex screws that hold the cover on (two under the battery and one under each arm). There is a white label in the bottom right hand corner of the main board which shows what version it is. If you pay for shipping to get your drone to and from Australia we will fix it for you for free. We have fixed this for several revision C boards already. If you would like more information, we can be reached at [email protected].
Parlez-vous français ? Louis ? :)

Reactions: depromanney
Parlez-vous français ? Louis ? :)
No , Im an Aussie just like you, how quickly you forget, lols

The last rev c board I fixed it took about 15 minutes from start to finish, Luis appears to be charging people anywhere from $300 - $500 AUD to fix the issue. But he wouldnt be using our technique as it is very unique. Im planning on doing a video on the process when I get another version c board in for repair. That way people can have a go at it themselves or go to an electronics repair shop and say "do this".

Great to see this thread still active. Came across the Facebook French guy and agree with the comments about the demeanor. This thread has been way more insightful.

I'm interested in participating and offering for recon. I'm no stranger to soldering or fishing through circuit boards.

My Karma:
Was paired
has been sitting idle for months
with a battery inserted
Firmware 2.50
On power up the gimbal is limp
Gimble tested with handle and works, isolating the issue to the craft
Power button is unresponsive after initial boot

Where to from here?

Great to see this thread still active. Came across the Facebook French guy and agree with the comments about the demeanor. This thread has been way more insightful.

I'm interested in participating and offering for recon. I'm no stranger to soldering or fishing through circuit boards.

My Karma:
Was paired
has been sitting idle for months
with a battery inserted
Firmware 2.50
On power up the gimbal is limp
Gimble tested with handle and works, isolating the issue to the craft
Power button is unresponsive after initial boot

Where to from here?
sounds like all the normal symptoms, were are you located and do you know what revision your board is ?

The last rev c board I fixed it took about 15 minutes from start to finish, Luis appears to be charging people anywhere from $300 - $500 AUD to fix the issue. But he wouldnt be using our technique as it is very unique. Im planning on doing a video on the process when I get another version c board in for repair. That way people can have a go at it themselves or go to an electronics repair shop and say "do this".
Hahahaha, I was just checking to see if you were the now infamous Louis Nobre with his massive team of ex gopro engineers that he has working for him in France. Your doing a great job mate. Take care.

I'm ready to send photos of two of my plans on two of my karma drones, but I won't be able to send the payment to you, because I'm 13,000 kilometers from Australia :)))
I'm looking forward to this video very much, because with experiments I don't risk anything. Even if things don't work out, I'll tell myself: you tried :))))

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raith11458