Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

I was looking at ebay broken karma listings and found this:

CRXPanda

Reaction score
f833db901919f58eccb387c7b60102d2.jpg
2a5ac507d11a5262681c6ace385101de.jpg
ffd359e02bf795e5982ddb334a69774b.jpg

This is the spec sheet for the Taoglas antennas on the controller.
WLP.2450.25.4.A.02 2450MHz Ceramic Patch 100310.pdf

The drone for sale is a developer model used for testing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting...Do you have a link to the eBay listing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to technical for me, what does it mean???

It's technical specs of the antenna. I posted it for the other tech gurus on here to analyze and come up with a game plan. For instance, by knowing the specs of the antenna, we know where and how the waves aim, how strong the waves are, and how sensitive it is to certain ranges of interference.

Like by analyzing another team's games, we can plan our defense.

Interesting...Do you have a link to the eBay listing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I periodically search "karma drone", then filter under condition for "parts-not working". I then click on the item, scroll down to the seller and click "seller's other items" *not* "items for sale". Once the screen shows the "seller's other items" I search for "gopro" beside the seller's name.

This is the only way I have found additional items. I believe they purposely list the item in a way the company won't easily find things from their development department. LOL
This one has two Hero5 with two buttons on the side! Obviously a mutant, never seen the light of day. Haha.

3c8afd9e475099e21e072cf745ac7fed.jpg
a65cf143da7dd486f0fc7d85a954cd60.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kabonski
I'm not sure what's being said here.

One one hand, the antennae pictured are in the controller and appear to relate to the controller-drone communications. The next set of links relate to GPS antennae for positioning.

Are they related? They seem to be discussing different parts (and therefore different problems).

I'm not sure what's being said here.

One one hand, the antennae pictured are in the controller and appear to relate to the controller-drone communications. The next set of links relate to GPS antennae for positioning.

Are they related? They seem to be discussing different parts (and therefore different problems).

Basically, finally seeing what antennas they give us in the controller (and the spec sheet), we can now formulate an understanding of how our drone communicates and maybe find some workarounds.

For instance, if you have a directional antenna for a drone, you need to be facing the drone at all times -- otherwise you may lose signal.

Knowing an antenna's pitfalls will hopefully help us not have as many problems.

After having lost communication with my Karma twice I also was wondering about the controller antenna upgrade (but then I guess it won't fit in the Karma Coffin).

Also looking at a video of the landing gear replacement it looks like the receiving aerial is on the base.

I was flying quite low, about 10 feet. Could this also be a problem with the radio link if that is also directional?

Also in post #6 it looks like in one controller photo the antennas are in-line while the other one has them angled outwards.

Did they make a design change or is it just the photos?

Also the data sheet for the antennas talks about "Tuned for 70x70mm ground plane"

Have they also skipped this or is it behind the antennas or is the cover more than a piece of plastic?

EDIT1: Just checked my antennas and they are angled out and the cover is just plastic.

EDIT2: Also if you note the controller with the antennas at an angle has the more modern colorful GoPro Logo as the other one has the older logo also saying Be A Hero so it would seem they made a design change.

Last edited:
Looking at this gentlemen's photo from Twitter it looks like the ground plane for the antennas extend diagonally around the sides so perhaps how you hold the controller (like a certain phone) could improve the signal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-26-19-55-22-351.jpeg
    Screenshot_2018-05-26-19-55-22-351.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 25
#IM35461
So how do you think we should hold the controller then?

Cheers IM35461, may not make a difference but it MIGHT lol

I will be mindful of the way I hold the controller (adds to pre-filght checklist).

I periodically search "karma drone", then filter under condition for "parts-not working". I then click on the item, scroll down to the seller and click "seller's other items" *not* "items for sale". Once the screen shows the "seller's other items" I search for "gopro" beside the seller's name.

This is the only way I have found additional items. I believe they purposely list the item in a way the company won't easily find things from their development department. LOL
This one has two Hero5 with two buttons on the side! Obviously a mutant, never seen the light of day. Haha.

3c8afd9e475099e21e072cf745ac7fed.jpg
a65cf143da7dd486f0fc7d85a954cd60.jpg

G'day mate!
Great ebay find.
What are your thoughts, or any ones for that matter on what that second button is for?
Was there anything about it (the extra button) in the sales blurb?

"curiouser and curiouser"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS