Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma accessories to buy

meeshootkin

Reaction score
Hi fellow pilots!

I'm wondering what are your thoughts on accessories and spare parts to be bought for Karma.

I did purchase a drone with 2 batteries and 2 sets of propellers.

I plan to buy the following:

1. Batteries
100$ / 140$
(in the EU GoPro charges quite a hefty premium :confused:)

At least 1 more battery, maybe 2 or 3, if i could find a bargain on ebay etc. at around 80$ per item.
The flight time of 15 min is quite short and I wish I have a room for longer video sessions (the main field of use is extreme skiing).
Also I'd account for batteries degrading over time (though it might be the drone would crash before then :confused:)

2. Spare propellers
20$ / 35$
for the set of 4 blades.

I already broke 3 of them so I know they are the weakest link (as in any other drone).
Can't blame GoPro cause that happened due to my own stupidity (testing indoors with insufficient experience).
I don't expect to break them easily from now on, I educated myself on the surfaces to take off and land and other possible reasons for blades to be broken.
That said, I think I still need 2 sets, could order them from the US cause they are quite cheap and easy to transport.

3. Karma Grip Mounting ring
40$ / 45$
That's a useful piece of equipment but I find it a bit overpriced.
I will try to find a 3rd party replacement for this if possible or stick with GoPro.

UPD. After I spoke to the initial seller, he managed to find the ring as well as the second propeller key and will send them to me, so that's resolved.

4. Karma Grip Extension cable
100$ / 140$

This one is even less attractive for the price/value.
I might consider buying this on aliexpress for about 50-60 bucks.

5. Any other spares
I thought about buying more spares for future usage, but yet haven't come to any decision on this.
Spare arms are too expensive to buy separately and they are not versatile to replace each other, Karma grip battery can't be replaced and I don't expect the controller to fail.
So maybe i'd buy another Karma core with the arms and the cage in the future and hope it doesn't have the GPS problems.
But i will wait for the upcoming winter season to thoroughly test the drone for durability and dependability before making further decisions on that.

Any comments?
Am I right that Karma grip is not discontinued?
Could someone with GoPro Plus confirm they got discount on batteries, propellers and extension cable, presumably priced at 80$, 16$ and 80$ respectively?

Last edited:
I have three batteries, although I rarely use all three. I will say that I use the Grip extensively, and the third battery has been helpful in keeping the Grip charged while hiking or traveling. Most of my other accessories, are not Karma specific, and include different mounts and an extension pole.

Given my frequent use of the Grip, I've given serious consideration to the Karma Extension Cable....but as you said above, the price/value doesn't make it all that attractive. I've also read some very poor reviews on Amazon. Even $60 seems relatively expensive to me... but at a lower price point...I might be willing to bite.

As far as I know, the Karma Grip has not been discontinued, only the drone.

These days I'm testing the drone shooting some landscape footage as well as some sports like wakeboarding and skating.
And already I wish I had a third battery.

When the winter comes and I'll be shooting my main and beloved activity - skiing - there will be even more demand for the longer session plus there will be an additional challenge for the batteries due to cold weather.
My GoPro 4 batteries (I'm left with 3rd party ones atm, original was stolen) degraded over time, partly due to exposure to low temperatures I guess. Nowadays I put them into a sock and then in my inner pocket to keep them warm when going out. Also, I don't put them in the camera till the very last moment cause they tend to discharge there when idle.

So I'm pretty cautious with Karma batteries as they are no longer produced (supposedly) and I will keep them out of the drone when idle and will try to avoid harsh environments.
Also, as one of the forum members pointed out it's worth storing them in half-charged condition if leaving for longer periods of time.

Just like you, I possess many GoPro mounts and sticks (the latter become obsolete to an extent after acquiring the grip), mostly 3rd party ones, cause GoPro accessories prices are usually over the top, I agree.

[QUOTE="

Just like you, I possess many GoPro mounts and sticks (the latter become obsolete to an extent after acquiring the grip), mostly 3rd party ones, cause GoPro accessories prices are usually over the top, I agree.[/QUOTE]

Most of the "selfy sticks" especially the cheap ones bought through third party providers are definitely obsolete due to their poor construction and risk of failure due to the weight of the Grip and Camera . The Go Pro "El Grande" extension pole however, works fantastically with the Grip. It allows for some fantastic shots that would be much harder to achieve with the Grip alone. A bike mount connected to an even longer extension pole can mimic drone shots when drone flights might not otherwise be allowed due to flight restrictions, etc. For example, an extension pole through the moon-roof in the car can offer an unobstructed view as you are riding in a car through a U.S. National Park, and give the appearance of a drone flight, even though flying there is prohibited. They can be used in many creative ways to offer unique perspective. They can achieves shots that would be impossible to achieve with a drone, like flying through branches and leaves or through the bushes like a rabbit, or flying along the side of a cable car as you ride through San Francisco.

I've used the grip in combination with a chest mount, when doing a ropes course, zip lining, or engaging in other activities that require two hands.

I've also used the grip in combination with vehicle mounts and tripods to get various kinds of external vehicle shots. The great think about using it on a tripod, is that it automatically levels your shot, so you don't have to worry about the horizon being crooked when shooting from a tripod or performing a time-lapse shot.

I haven't used the Grip with a helmet cam (For skiing) or with a bike mount on a bicycle. It's possible, it just seems unwieldy. I have thought about the $99 extension cable as I think it would make this set up a bit easier, and would also reduce the weight on the end of my extension pole. That said, the cable is expensive enough that "unwieldy" might be a good alternative to spending the money. :)

Reactions: Hummingbird
I have 2 comments here:
I know temperature affects a lithium battery and dji have a battery warmer. Since you will be filming in sub zero temperatures, is there such a thing as a GoPro battery warmer? Would a chemical hand warmer between 2 batteries be useful or am I being stupid with that one?
Secondly; With the $€£ of the Karma grip and the transporting and setting up, isn't it easier with a £80 gimbal from China and an iPhone? I use the iPhone X and can't distinguish between GoPro & the iPhone. Could just be preference I guess?

I have 2 comments here:
I know temperature affects a lithium battery and dji have a battery warmer. Since you will be filming in sub zero temperatures, is there such a thing as a GoPro battery warmer? Would a chemical hand warmer between 2 batteries be useful or am I being stupid with that one?
Secondly; With the $€£ of the Karma grip and the transporting and setting up, isn't it easier with a £80 gimbal from China and an iPhone? I use the iPhone X and can't distinguish between GoPro & the iPhone. Could just be preference I guess?
In many situations, I imagine a phone gimbal would be just fine. There have still been quite a few situations where I was glad I was putting my action camera at risk, and not my phone. :)

Reactions: Hummingbird
OMG! What to buy what to buy what to buy LMAO -
2 extra batteries, 2 extra sets aftermarket blades, monitor sun hood (still waiting for this), El Grande pole, phone holder and a myriad of MOUNTS!! Jesus H Christos!! I am like "a kid in a lolly shop" with mounts from ebay! heheheahahah
Please though, can any one tell me what I use the "J" mount for??? LOL bought one cause it looked so cool haha (my wife just walked past read this and TUTTED loudly). Have fun. I am having great fun using this drone. Been able to get out and fly it (3 batteries worth) on the last 3 weekends. Getting some really good practice in. Practicing those panning techniques.

After 2 + months of flying and traveling.. A few "Spares and accessories" lessons learned.

I initially purchased 2 extra batteries from Best Buy USA ($100 each) with the Karma Drone pack, grip, hero 6 black and stabilizer.
After my first GPS loss controlled crash landing I destroyed or kicked up all 4 props at one. Only having the 2 spares GoPro supplied, I was out of business for the rest of the trip.

Second "Crash" I was using a car window shade as a landing mat, no wind, just for dust. The second I took off the side of the shade flipped up and caught 2 props... ugh.. Out of business again!

Here is my recommended list:
At least 2 spare Drone batteries ( I have 3)
1 spare GoPro battery
6 spare props
Canned Air
Small dusting brush
A real launch pad - staked down!
Leans cleaning wipes
Microfiber dusting cloth for the Drone and controller
Polarizer filter for GoPro (do not use the 52MM and larger ring adapters). Get the real GoPro filter.
Spare SD card
Screen protector for the back screen
Extra protective lens cover - It will get scratched on a crash
Nice thin protective gloves for that occasional hand recovery of the drone

First "Published" drone video
Enjoy!

OMG! What to buy what to buy what to buy LMAO -
2 extra batteries, 2 extra sets aftermarket blades, monitor sun hood (still waiting for this), El Grande pole, phone holder and a myriad of MOUNTS!! Jesus H Christos!! I am like "a kid in a lolly shop" with mounts from ebay! heheheahahah
Please though, can any one tell me what I use the "J" mount for??? LOL bought one cause it looked so cool haha (my wife just walked past read this and TUTTED loudly). Have fun. I am having great fun using this drone. Been able to get out and fly it (3 batteries worth) on the last 3 weekends. Getting some really good practice in. Practicing those panning techniques.
How has the hood been working for you? I think I need one...

The hood works exceptionally well. Great value at 12 bucks.

Reactions: b00tl3g
Hey! Your in the US so it should be about $8US.
Have a good one.

I am planning to buy the hood as well. it's cheap and seems useful. however to keep the drone in the line of sight and to spot the obstacles I need to keep looking at it and it's quite complicated when facing the sun (the controller screen is not that useful when one tries to avoid smth like wakeboarding cable for example). so the hood won't help in that.

What I have already bought is... another Karma Grip (without a stab). I spotted an ad on a local forum and was hesitating on whether I need a spare one or not. the seller was posting it at 75$ first, then 50$ and I was sure I could bring the price further down, so the question was do I need another battery/grip. I decided to go for it and made a deal for 30$. BTW, the previous owner broke the stab when using it in rain - the microchip didn't stand the water and was destroyed beyond repair.

also after digging the forum, I consider buying 3rd party blades instead (or complimenting) the GoPro ones. they are said to extend battery life by up to 5 min, plus noise reduction and speed gain.

I was waiting for the GoPro7 release and once announced I plan to upgrade around Black Friday. will leave my GoPro4 as a spare one I guess.

don't think I need any landing mat. you have several options to land if the ground is grassy or whatever:
firstly - on the GoPro backpack itself
secondly - you could catch the drone by hand. once you know the needed grip it's quite safe to use this technique.

Reactions: shuether
can any one tell me what I use the "J" mount for??? LOL bought one cause it looked so cool haha (my wife just walked past read this and TUTTED loudly).
It's allowing to tilt a camera more than with the standard mount. I'm using it most of the time, mostly on my ski helmet.
but I'd recommend you to have few of them (or standard mounts) cause the quick release clasps are prone to breaking (both GoPro original and 3rd party ones).
that being said it still holds with one clasp and even with none of them to some extent. so you'll have time to order another one :)
IMG_6315.JPG

they break so easily that they sell them 8 a pack in China. good news is they cost just a few bucks.
Снимок экрана 2018-09-26 в 1.22.42.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironspear
"It's allowing to tilt a camera more than with the standard mount. I'm using it most of the time, mostly on my ski helmet.
but I'd recommend you to have few of them (or standard mounts) cause the quick release clasps are prone to breaking (both GoPro original and 3rd party ones).
"

Thanks mate. Looks like I will HAVE to go to ebay AGAIN! :)
Gotta have those backups.

Hey, Karma drone batteries are on sale on bestbuy.com. $50 a piece, just ordered 2!! ?

Reactions: Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS