Ready for the GoPro Karma?

Join us to discuss the new Karma drone today!

GPS FAILED

Discussion in 'Karma Help' started by Jeff, Apr 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Member

HI,
    I recently bought a drone and lost gps signal my first three flights. All three times were within the 50' of the controller. I was in my open backyard in the country with just a few trees and house to the south of me. Everything was going great for a while and then instant fly away. Crashed in the yard twice and almost lost it over the neighborhood the last time. I had total control the entire time leading up to this and then nothing.
    I resorted to this forum because I'm gettting little help from GoPro with this. Even with GoPro care... any advise would help. I always been a huge GoPro fan and want to fly their drone without worrying everytime. All the other return home functions work awesome when GPS is working. Could it simply be my backyard might not be a good place to get GPS signal.?
    Thank you,

Jeff

2. kabonski

kabonski Active Member

Did you get a message that said you lost GPS?

Once your drone's GPS was initialized it shouldn't totally loose GPS unless you flew into an area where the sky was pretty obstructed. So if you were maybe 15' from your house or under the canopy of a tree or something similar it could loose it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Yes. There was an audio message "lost GPS" and also yellow letters on the screen all three times. The third time it "found GPS" and I was able to bring it back to the launch location without a crash.
    Thank you for the input. I think I'll try another location and see if that helps. Is the GPS in the drone and the controller or just one of them. I assume it's both but not sure. Is there a GPS strength status bar I can view while flying?

Thank you for your time.

Jeff

4. kabonski

kabonski Active Member

You are correct, there is a GPS in both the drone and controller. I can't picture if there is a satellite count or HDOP number displayed on the controller of the Karma. I would assume there is but I don't recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Inspector1000

Inspector1000 New Member

Jeff the drone I purchased 2 weeks ago done the same thing. Controller said "GPS Lost" and the drone flew away. After me chasing it down it finally regained connection and it landed safely. I've been having connection problems ever since so I downloaded new updates and im hoping that will fix it. I will keep you posted.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

T

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Thank you. Good luck...

Jeff

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Thank you,

Jeff

9. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

You're not alone with the GPS problem. I flew my Karma in my neighborhood just yesterday, it was my third flight with the Karma. I was at about 200' checking the altitude capabilities and lost GPS, then lost connection between the controller and Karma, then it flew away all by itself at a very high rate of speed. Gone. It could be miles away judging by the speed it was traveling and the altitude it was at.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

I'm sorry to hear this! What a shame... thank you for sharing your story though.
    For this same reason I am scared to put mine back in the air. Did Gopro ask you to send them your flight logs? I sent mine but have not got an answer back on anything yet.

Thank you,

Jeff

11. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Claim initiated, flight logs sent, I've yet to hear back from GoPro, but it's only been a couple of days. I started a thread here: Karma drone disappears and will update as things progress. I call them every day and the rep I spoke to today says it'll be a week before I hear from them.

12. bleierbega

bleierbega New Member

Someone has any news about the GPS problem of the Karma (¿?) Im writting frome Uruguay. My Karma is having the same problemas.
    It not recognize the GPS, as soon as I touch the button of lunch. Im sorry for my primitive english.

13. Willowhero

Willowhero New Member

Have you tried updating everything then re calibrating everything ? Maybe even wipe the card then download the map for the area you plan on flying over. That’s what i have done to resolve some of my gps issues..

Cheers