Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

GPS FAILED

Jeff

Reaction score
HI,
I recently bought a drone and lost gps signal my first three flights. All three times were within the 50' of the controller. I was in my open backyard in the country with just a few trees and house to the south of me. Everything was going great for a while and then instant fly away. Crashed in the yard twice and almost lost it over the neighborhood the last time. I had total control the entire time leading up to this and then nothing.
I resorted to this forum because I'm gettting little help from GoPro with this. Even with GoPro care... any advise would help. I always been a huge GoPro fan and want to fly their drone without worrying everytime. All the other return home functions work awesome when GPS is working. Could it simply be my backyard might not be a good place to get GPS signal.?
Thank you,

Jeff

Did you get a message that said you lost GPS?

Once your drone's GPS was initialized it shouldn't totally loose GPS unless you flew into an area where the sky was pretty obstructed. So if you were maybe 15' from your house or under the canopy of a tree or something similar it could loose it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get a message that said you lost GPS?

Once your drone's GPS was initialized it shouldn't totally loose GPS unless you flew into an area where the sky was pretty obstructed. So if you were maybe 15' from your house or under the canopy of a tree or something similar it could loose it completely.

Yes. There was an audio message "lost GPS" and also yellow letters on the screen all three times. The third time it "found GPS" and I was able to bring it back to the launch location without a crash.
Thank you for the input. I think I'll try another location and see if that helps. Is the GPS in the drone and the controller or just one of them. I assume it's both but not sure. Is there a GPS strength status bar I can view while flying?

Thank you for your time.

Jeff

You are correct, there is a GPS in both the drone and controller. I can't picture if there is a satellite count or HDOP number displayed on the controller of the Karma. I would assume there is but I don't recall.

Jeff the drone I purchased 2 weeks ago done the same thing. Controller said "GPS Lost" and the drone flew away. After me chasing it down it finally regained connection and it landed safely. I've been having connection problems ever since so I downloaded new updates and im hoping that will fix it. I will keep you posted.

You are correct, there is a GPS in both the drone and controller. I can't picture if there is a satellite count or HDOP number displayed on the controller of the Karma. I would assume there is but I don't recall.

T
Jeff the drone I purchased 2 weeks ago done the same thing. Controller said "GPS Lost" and the drone flew away. After me chasing it down it finally regained connection and it landed safely. I've been having connection problems ever since so I downloaded new updates and im hoping that will fix it. I will keep you posted.

Thank you,

Jeff

You're not alone with the GPS problem. I flew my Karma in my neighborhood just yesterday, it was my third flight with the Karma. I was at about 200' checking the altitude capabilities and lost GPS, then lost connection between the controller and Karma, then it flew away all by itself at a very high rate of speed. Gone. It could be miles away judging by the speed it was traveling and the altitude it was at.

You're not alone with the GPS problem. I flew my Karma in my neighborhood just yesterday, it was my third flight with the Karma. I was at about 200' checking the altitude capabilities and lost GPS, then lost connection between the controller and Karma, then it flew away all by itself at a very high rate of speed. Gone. It could be miles away judging by the speed it was traveling and the altitude it was at.
I'm sorry to hear this! What a shame... thank you for sharing your story though.
For this same reason I am scared to put mine back in the air. Did Gopro ask you to send them your flight logs? I sent mine but have not got an answer back on anything yet.

Thank you,

Jeff

Claim initiated, flight logs sent, I've yet to hear back from GoPro, but it's only been a couple of days. I started a thread here: Karma drone disappears and will update as things progress. I call them every day and the rep I spoke to today says it'll be a week before I hear from them.

Someone has any news about the GPS problem of the Karma (¿?) Im writting frome Uruguay. My Karma is having the same problemas.
It not recognize the GPS, as soon as I touch the button of lunch. Im sorry for my primitive english.

Have you tried updating everything then re calibrating everything ? Maybe even wipe the card then download the map for the area you plan on flying over. That’s what i have done to resolve some of my gps issues..

Cheers

HI,
I recently bought a drone and lost gps signal my first three flights. All three times were within the 50' of the controller. I was in my open backyard in the country with just a few trees and house to the south of me. Everything was going great for a while and then instant fly away. Crashed in the yard twice and almost lost it over the neighborhood the last time. I had total control the entire time leading up to this and then nothing.
I resorted to this forum because I'm gettting little help from GoPro with this. Even with GoPro care... any advise would help. I always been a huge GoPro fan and want to fly their drone without worrying everytime. All the other return home functions work awesome when GPS is working. Could it simply be my backyard might not be a good place to get GPS signal.?
Thank you,

Jeff
I just had the same problem yesterday.... I was in my front yard and it was about 20" high and it announced that the "GPS FAILURE" and my drone flew directly into my house damaging --when it crashed it was still running...all blades except 3 were lost... One minute I had FULL CONTROL and SUDDENLY it just TOOK OFF on its own... Can someone let me know where & who to call to report this?

I just had the same problem yesterday.... I was in my front yard and it was about 20" high and it announced that the "GPS FAILURE" and my drone flew directly into my house damaging --when it crashed it was still running...all blades except 3 were lost... One minute I had FULL CONTROL and SUDDENLY it just TOOK OFF on its own... Can someone let me know where & who to call to report this?

Call Gopro customer support (Number in your region might be different): (855) 635-3578 (Toll Free)

They can review your case and help determine if it was an equipment malfunction or user error. If your drone is covered under warranty, and the drone crashed due to defective equipment, they may replace your drone, or broken components at no charge. If they decide it was your fault, they might still offer discounted replacement parts.

To be clear, GPS has nothing to do with how close your drone is to the controller. Also, GPS strength can vary by the hour, day, and location. Always check the available satellite count and kp index before you fly. A very handy app to use is UAV forecast. Once you have it downloaded, go into settings and turn off GLONASS. All other settings you can keep on default. The app will tell you whether or not it is, "Good to Fly". This is not just for Karma, but all drones. GPS is a great feature of the drone, but be prepared to fly without it. Make small adjustments with the sticks if GPS is lost and DON"T PANIC. Orient yourself quickly to which way the drone is facing. If it's looking toward you, Left is Right and Right is left. Even a small breeze can cause your drone to fly away from you. Don't make it worse by giving a bad command or the drone can quickly fly out of controller range.

Lastly, always calibrate the drone for the area you are flying in and don't forget that the controller has a GPS unit as well. You need to take the same care in keeping yourself and the controller away from interference and in in clear view of a blue sky. DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration or flight, such as cellular phones or smart watches.

Reactions: Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS