Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

DJI Osmo Pocket: Karma and Hero 7 Killer?

Shon

Reaction score

Some of my thoughts:

Pros:
- Incredibly small and portable.
- Smart Camera modes including face tracking, active track, motion timelapse Panorama stitching, etc.
- Remote Gimbal Control with adapter
- FPV lock for gimbal
- Price...$350 for Camera and gimbal combination.
- 4k 60fps, no "fisheye"

Cons:
-- Washed out video. I've watched so many user created video, and skies are completely washed out. Once the hype dies down, I'm interested to see what people really think of the video quality.
-- Poor audio. I some cases, it sounded quite "tinny" There is no external audio option...UNLESS...you buy an adapter.
-- limited mechanical control of gimbal....UNLESS...you BUY an adapter.
-- No native tripod mount...UNLESS...you BUY AN ADAPTER!
-- You have to plug it into your smart phone to use many advanced filming features including "Pro" mode. REALLY DJI?
-- No Wifi/Bluetooth...UNLESS...you guessed it..YOU BUY AN ADAPTER!!!!!!!!!
-- Internal battery. You can't change it out for a fresh one during a long day of shooting.
-- Waterproof? Nope. you have to buy...wait for it...no...not an adapter...an underwater housing!

From a portability standpoint...I love the idea of a DJI Mavic Air and Osmo Pocket Combo... from a price and durability standpoint, I'm honestly not sure how it stacks up against the Gopro Karma Grip and Hero Cameras. Baring a few of the more advanced features, I've already benefited quite a bit from the Hero/Karma combination. Do I take a chance on this new product? The verdict is still out for me.

Some of my thoughts:

Pros:
- Incredibly small and portable.
- Smart Camera modes including face tracking, active track, motion timelapse Panorama stitching, etc.
- Remote Gimbal Control with adapter
- FPV lock for gimbal
- Price...$350 for Camera and gimbal combination.
- 4k 60fps, no "fisheye"

Cons:
-- Washed out video. I've watched so many user created video, and skies are completely washed out. Once the hype dies down, I'm interested to see what people really think of the video quality.
-- Poor audio. I some cases, it sounded quite "tinny" There is no external audio option...UNLESS...you buy an adapter.
-- limited mechanical control of gimbal....UNLESS...you BUY an adapter.
-- No native tripod mount...UNLESS...you BUY AN ADAPTER!
-- You have to plug it into your smart phone to use many advanced filming features including "Pro" mode. REALLY DJI?
-- No Wifi/Bluetooth...UNLESS...you guessed it..YOU BUY AN ADAPTER!!!!!!!!!
-- Internal battery. You can't change it out for a fresh one during a long day of shooting.
-- Waterproof? Nope. you have to buy...wait for it...no...not an adapter...an underwater housing!

From a portability standpoint...I love the idea of a DJI Mavic Air and Osmo Pocket Combo... from a price and durability standpoint, I'm honestly not sure how it stacks up against the Gopro Karma Grip and Hero Cameras. Baring a few of the more advanced features, I've already benefited quite a bit from the Hero/Karma combination. Do I take a chance on this new product? The verdict is still out for me.

Firstly let it be know I’m a GoPro lover so please take my opinion as just that. I honestly think GoPro will be fine as it isn’t a action camera. It looks like the first crash on your bike or fall from a height would kill it or at least damage the gimbal. Granted the gopro gimbal drop or crash proof but the camera sure is. And if you have the hero 7 you don’t need the gimbal for most Applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ironspear and Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS