Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

A Suggestion for cleaning contacts

GeekDaddy

Reaction score
Some Karma users report problems with connections between the camera, stabilizer, battery, and Karma-body that result in flight problems or crashes. The GoPro Karma is unique in that it has a removable stabilizer and camera vs many other drones.
So there are more electrical connections that can become worn or dirty.
Drones kick-up a lot of dirt, dust, and debris when launching and landing -- especially if not designed for hand launching (like our Karma's).
So keeping these connections clean and functional is important.

On my automotive, computer, audio, and other electronic connections I use a product called DeoxIT D5. It removes oxidation and cleans/protects electronic connectors. It's also safe for plastic.

Since my Karma seems to be working well, but was purchased used and occasionally requires removal and reinsertion of the stabilizer before a flight, I assumed that there may some minute crud or oxidation in some of the connectors. I cleaned them all with DeoxIT D5.

THIS WORKED WELL FOR ME BUT DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you want to follow my approach, here's what I did.
  • REMOVE BATTERIES FROM THE HERO CAMERA AND THE KARMA DRONE BODY.
  • Spray the USB-C connector inside the drone and on the stabilizer. Insert and remove them 6-8 times. Wipe with a lint free towel and let them fully dry out for an hour.
  • Spray the USB-C and video connectors on the Hero camera and the camera cage on the stabilizer. Insert and remove 6-8 times. Wipe with a lint free towel and let them dry for an hour.
  • Spray the battery connections ON THE DRONE BODY. DO NOT SPRAY THE BATTERY. Insert and remove the battery 6-8 times. Spray the battery connections on the drone again and reinsert the battery 6-8 times. Wipe the battery and drone interior and let everything dry for an hour.
One more time: DO NOT SPRAY THE CONTACTS ON THE BATTERY WITH DeoxIT D5. You could potentially cause a temporary electrical short.

I cleaned all the connections using the methods above, reconnected everything and all seems well. Perhaps wasn't necessary, but expect it will make my electrical connections more reliable for future flights.

Reactions: XerxesZ
Some Karma users report problems with connections between the camera, stabilizer, battery, and Karma-body that result in flight problems or crashes. The GoPro Karma is unique in that it has a removable stabilizer and camera vs many other drones.
So there are more electrical connections that can become worn or dirty.
Drones kick-up a lot of dirt, dust, and debris when launching and landing -- especially if not designed for hand launching (like our Karma's).
So keeping these connections clean and functional is important.

On my automotive, computer, audio, and other electronic connections I use a product called DeoxIT D5. It removes oxidation and cleans/protects electronic connectors. It's also safe for plastic.

Since my Karma seems to be working well, but was purchased used and occasionally requires removal and reinsertion of the stabilizer before a flight, I assumed that there may some minute crud or oxidation in some of the connectors. I cleaned them all with DeoxIT D5.

THIS WORKED WELL FOR ME BUT DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you want to follow my approach, here's what I did.
  • REMOVE BATTERIES FROM THE HERO CAMERA AND THE KARMA DRONE BODY.
  • Spray the USB-C connector inside the drone and on the stabilizer. Insert and remove them 6-8 times. Wipe with a lint free towel and let them fully dry out for an hour.
  • Spray the USB-C and video connectors on the Hero camera and the camera cage on the stabilizer. Insert and remove 6-8 times. Wipe with a lint free towel and let them dry for an hour.
  • Spray the battery connections ON THE DRONE BODY. DO NOT SPRAY THE BATTERY. Insert and remove the battery 6-8 times. Spray the battery connections on the drone again and reinsert the battery 6-8 times. Wipe the battery and drone interior and let everything dry for an hour.
One more time: DO NOT SPRAY THE CONTACTS ON THE BATTERY WITH DeoxIT D5. You could potentially cause a temporary electrical short.

I cleaned all the connections using the methods above, reconnected everything and all seems well. Perhaps wasn't necessary, but expect it will make my electrical connections more reliable for future flights.
Thanks for bringing this up GeekDaddy. Did the same thing with two friends cell phones that would no longer charge. Now they do. Many companies make electronic contact cleaners. I have one on my shelf here labeled CRC "QD Electronic Cleaner" spray can says "Safe for sensitive electronics" and "Quick Drying.Plastic Safe. Helps Prevent Contact Failure".
Haves used different brands through the years purchased from electronic shops, auto part stores and online. All have worked well. Your battery advice sounds safe and smart though. I have sprayed other batteries before with no short or problems before. ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheezy