I haven't had a "fly away" at all, not even close to one.
Yes I use those aps. Mainly UAV forecast.
Here you go mate, have a read.
Pre-Flight Checklist and For Karma Drone
Just a word of caution, but something many people new to drones might not be aware of, you MUST check the current Geomagnetic conditions before flying. The level of interference is expressed as a kp value. If the level is 4 or higher, you run a significant risk of losing connection to GPS, the controller to drone, and having compass errors. This is not unique to Karma but for all drones.
You can check the current conditions at NOAA.gov
Planetary K-index | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center
or with phone apps like magnetology and UAV forecast.
Recommended Android and IOS Apps
Android - Magnetology - Apps on Google Play
iOS - Magnetology
Android - UAV Forecast for DJI Quadcopter & UAV Drone Pilots - Apps on Google Play
iOS - UAV Forecast
It is the pilot's responsibility to check the conditions before flying. The following conditions need to be met before taking off. If you run into an issue and are flying in a condition not outlined below, it is YOUR fault, not the drone's.
- Drone Free from damage (cracks, bends or otherwise)
- Drone, camera, stabilizer, and controller on latest update
- Camera with recommended SD card SD Cards that Work with GoPro Cameras
- Check the available space on the microSD card
- Be sure the camera stabilizer is securely locked into the drone
- Propellers free from cracks, debris, or un-manufactured bends
- Securely tighten the propellers
- Battery fully charged (drone, camera and controller)
- Fully extend the landing gear and arms
- Battery fully engaged and locked into place
- Never launch on or near your car
- Area clear of people, obstacles, and the following:
- Metal (including underground)
- Reinforced Concrete
- Sand which may contain magnetite
- Electrical equipment
- Groups of people or anyone standing within ten feet of the drone
- Radio/Wi-Fi signals
- Drone compass calibrated for the area you are flying (no further than 100 miles from where it was last calibrated)
- Acceleromter calibrated AFTER 5-10 minutes of flight with drone held LEVEL to the horizon
- Stabilizer calibrated in the drone with the drone standing on firm level surface
- Clear view of the Blue sky - Do Not fly in overcast, foggy, or areas of high humidity or precipitation
- Wind speed (including gust) below 22mph (10m/s)
- Kp disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field less than 4
- Away from object that can cause Wi-Fi interference
- Away from areas of high Wi-Fi utilization
- All Settings Checked
- Return to home altitude
- Max altitude
- Max range
- Flight mode (Sport/non-Sport)
- Camera settings
- Wait 1-2 minutes AFTER getting the prompt "Ready to Fly" to allow the drone to acquire additional satellites before taking off (not mandatory but a good idea)
- Keep the back of the controller pointed at the drone at all times
- If the controller connection goes into the red or the video becomes choppy, STOP, adjust the direction you are holding the controller and give the controller and drone a little time to establish a stronger connection.
- The controller also has a GPS unit. Don't stand under/near structures that might interfere with the connection to the satellites (or your drone). See 11,12,19,20 above.
- Whenever possible, manually land your drone. You can do it much better and softer than the auto landing.
- Never initiate Return to Home (Auto Land) if the drone has lost GPS.
This list is not unique to Karma but to all drones. If you are going to fly in valleys, in dense areas of vegetation, under bridges/tunnels/trees/structures you need to be prepared to fly manually and know that it is not uncommon for the drone to experience multipath propagation which will cause it to miscalculate it's position in space and fly erratically. Always fly within LOS.