Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma drone flashing red light wont turn on

x_burt

Reaction score
Hi,

My Karma drones power button was flashing red and not responding. Now suddenly it has stopped doing anything. If I press the power button the camera turns on, no lights on the drone, then the camera turns off again.

Any help would be appreciated, of course this happened the day before we were supposed to shoot with it!

Have you fully charged everything, connected to wifi, made sure everything updated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes when i got it this week I updated everything, battery is full. I have had a few flights with it no problem until today

Make sure camera is properly seated, landing skids out all the way and all arms out all the way. Something not right and way acting may be bad harness. Does camera work properly with grip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes if I put the gimbal into the grip it works no problem. Arms and landing gear are out properly. How do I upload a film clip here?
Right now if I press the power button on the drone the camera turns on then a couple seconds later turns off again. No lights on the drone come on.

There is a self check the drone itself goes through and sounds like it is not going through it and shutting down. I have never seen that. Probably need to return. Where are you in Norway? I lived in Ganddal, south of Stavanger years ago.

Ok thanks, I have contacted GoPro so see what they say. Guess there is no shooting this weekend!
Thats not too far from me, i'm about 2.5 hours east. evje

Top your batteries and that includes your camera battery before each flight. Make sure that you have a good GPS signal. If not you may have to move your launch site and make sure it is level. A launch pad is worth while to keep debris away from the motors.

Top your batteries and that includes your camera battery before each flight. Make sure that you have a good GPS signal. If not you may have to move your launch site and make sure it is level. A launch pad is worth while to keep debris away from the motors.

Look what he said. The device never gets to where it is even looking for GPS.

This is now with Gopro, they sent me a new drone battery but that didn't help so we will see what is next. I'll keep this thread updated as it progresses!

Reactions: Billybob
Here's the update.

GoPro sent me a new Karma core (body).
Took it out for maiden flight yesterday morning and everything was working great.

Took it out in the afternoon and suddenly got the message "GPS lost land immediately!" as I watched it take off at full speed across the valley.
I found it 2 hours later in pieces using the find my drone feature on the controller. Found everything apart from the camera.

Sent a mail to GoPro so see what they say.

Only the Karma the other time it lost GPS. But the issue now was it lost GPS and there was no connection to the controller. It took off in a straight line at full speed across the valley.

Only the Karma the other time it lost GPS. But the issue now was it lost GPS and there was no connection to the controller. It took off in a straight line at full speed across the valley.

I guess a little confused as above you say you had flown before with no problems and now say lost GPS once. Loosing GPS does not mean you lost controller, getting message from Karma saying GPS lost shows link still working in that direction and that further supported by use of controller to find the crashed drone. Controller will notify you when control signal lost and usual response is auto land since no GPS.

It can be quite difficult to regain control and fly Karma with no GPS especially if you haven’t done a lot of free flying. Will be interesting to see response from GoPro when they see logs.

short story. Ive flown karma before. it failed. go pro sent me a new one which was this one. morning flight no problem. second flight gps lost and it took off in a straight line. joysticks didnt do anything.

I'll update when I hear back!

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR
So here's the latest update. GoPro have taken full responsibility, no arguments or hassle. They reviewed the flight logs and could see the drone lost GPS and took off on its own. So not at all happy with the product but the customer service has been great. Here's what they said:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with all the information we need to have a better understanding of what happened during the flight.

I just got an update from our Team that the flight logs have been successfully reviewed. Based on the record of the crashed, we were able to determine that the drone experienced an issue during the flight, that resulted from the drone to fly away and crash. We really do apologize for any issue’s that this event may have caused you and we also want to let you know that this is not the kind of experience we want you to have.

Reactions: mefisto82
This whole sequence is pretty much what happened to me-- unfortunately, now it seems GoPro is not able to replace these faulty Drones. Probably why they got out of the business. I think these Karmas are dangerous and certainly not worth investing in if these flyaways are so common. Too bad! Very bad for the GoPro brand!

Sorry hear you think that way Patrol. Maybe I was taught to be cautious and follow the directions published by Jordan Hetrick. I know GoPro are now working on a GoPro 8 camera. But I still maintain that the Karma Drone was well thought out as long as you follow the instructions and don't push the envelope!

Reactions: james shih

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS