Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

How many Karma's are still flying?

MiragePro

Reaction score
Website
www.miragepro.net
I am just curious, what with all the posts about connection issues, how many are still flying their Karma's. I have also noticed that there are very few posts made with the exception of their Karmas not working. Mine is still flying, but I have reached the point of hanging rosery beads around it and a statue of the baby Jesus, before taking off.

Reactions: MCausey and guipsot
Hiya mate. This forum has really only had people seeking advice about issues with the Karma. People dont really post here saying "hiya my Karma is still fine" etc. Just mainly for help with probs. There are a handful of people who still upload vids they have done etc

My Karma is still flying perfectly, no issues with updates or calibration (touch wood). I have just recently crashed mine and lost all the props, no other damage apart from 2 scuff marks. It fell from 2.5m, tough little bird.

Keep on flying!

Take care.

Reactions: MCausey and Mike
True, it is a little lean ‘round here!

Mine is still flying but every time I take her up there’s a nagging feeling I’ll have a fly away.

So, with that, am always cautious with how far I go or what I’m around.

One (meaning me 😬) would also think that after 5ish years, there have been massive upgrades to technology, that the Karma just doesn’t have.

My initial reason for the Karma was the camera but reading about some of the other drones out there now, the camera is a non-issue. Hell, some are supporting 8k video - combine that with 10 sensor obstacle avoidance and the Karma is a lumbering dinosaur.

Reactions: Ironspear
I am still busy with my 2 Karma, I use them mainly for the aerial photography, the photo quality of Hero 7 is amazing.

slide-236-2.jpgslide-239.jpgslide-249-2.jpg

Last edited:
i still have mine. have not started her up yet for almost a year now but i know its alright.

sure. other cameras have better sensor etc, but if one could just replace the LENS of the GP5-7 it is an outstanding camera still.

Reactions: MCausey
Hiya mate. This forum has really only had people seeking advice about issues with the Karma. People dont really post here saying "hiya my Karma is still fine" etc. Just mainly for help with probs. There are a handful of people who still upload vids they have done etc

My Karma is still flying perfectly, no issues with updates or calibration (touch wood). I have just recently crashed mine and lost all the props, no other damage apart from 2 scuff marks. It fell from 2.5m, tough little bird.

Keep on flying!

Take care.
The reason I decided to make this post is that I have seen several posts of seeking help with little or no response. I admit they have been mainly about not being able to connect their drone and controller. I also see that there is not any real answer, or often multiple answers. Glad to see you are still flying. You are right they are pretty tough.

i still have mine. have not started her up yet for almost a year now but i know its alright.

sure. other cameras have better sensor etc, but if one could just replace the LENS of the GP5-7 it is an outstanding camera still.
Those are pretty amazing shots. There are alternative lenses available for the GoPro 7 Black. Just google GoPro Lens, and you will find there are quite a few kits out there.

True, it is a little lean ‘round here!

Mine is still flying but every time I take her up there’s a nagging feeling I’ll have a fly away.

So, with that, am always cautious with how far I go or what I’m around.

One (meaning me 😬) would also think that after 5ish years, there have been massive upgrades to technology, that the Karma just doesn’t have.

My initial reason for the Karma was the camera but reading about some of the other drones out there now, the camera is a non-issue. Hell, some are supporting 8k video - combine that with 10 sensor obstacle avoidance and the Karma is a lumbering dinosaur.
It is a lumbering dino and that backpack is not one I would want to take on a plane. As far as the video goes, it's almost impossible to tell 8k from 4k on videos posted on the internet. It would be nice to record 10bit instead of 8bit, which would give you more alternatives when editing the footage. The Hero 7 black does give me better footage then my MavicPro. Will be upgrading to a MavicPro2 soon.

I am just curious, what with all the posts about connection issues, how many are still flying their Karma's. I have also noticed that there are very few posts made with the exception of their Karmas not working. Mine is still flying, but I have reached the point of hanging rosery beads around it and a statue of the baby Jesus, before taking off.
At least one. :)

Reactions: MiragePro
mine flies.... I don't fly it much but have been messing around with it lately. Was just renewing my FAA registration. My Karma was purchased in 2017. I assume it does not have remote identification capabilities. This is the one question I am having to answer while renewing my expired registration. I have not experienced any connection (pairing) issues since installing all new firmware updates. But haven't flown much either and don't fly very far away from the controller. Is the issue occurring during the flight after takeoff or is it an initial paring issue?

mine flies.... I don't fly it much but have been messing around with it lately. Was just renewing my FAA registration. My Karma was purchased in 2017. I assume it does not have remote identification capabilities. This is the one question I am having to answer while renewing my expired registration. I have not experienced any connection (pairing) issues since installing all new firmware updates. But haven't flown much either and don't fly very far away from the controller. Is the issue occurring during the flight after takeoff or is it an initial paring issue?
Apparently the pairing issue happens before taking off, and usually after updates. In fact, it's just about the only posting that I have seen on this forum, is about pairing issues. Mine flies with no problems...knock on plastic.

Reactions: Mike
I am still busy with my 2 Karma, I use them mainly for the aerial photography, the photo quality of Hero 7 is amazing.

View attachment 593View attachment 594View attachment 595
those look great.
I only have hero 5 black and the photos seem a little lackluster to me.
They're not awful but seem a little grainy to me.
I think it's a 12MP camera. Any suggestions for best settings?
Perhaps a sunny day would've been the biggest help

Well I tried attaching pics but evidently doesn't work for me

those look great.

His photos are pretty amazing. It's well worth investing in a Hero 7 Black. There are quite a few on eBay. The results were actually better then my DJI Pro, which I sold recently.

Reactions: Mikieh
those look great.

Hi,
Both Hero5 and Hero7 are equipped with the 12MP camera, but Hero7 is more advanced and improved.
The setting in the camera is important for the result of a image, I always select the raw and native color setting for the maximum opportunity in the post with Lightroom and Photoshop.
Here are the setting when I take pictures:
1. FOV: Wide
2.Supper photo: Off
3.Raw: On
4.Protune: On
5.Shutter:Auto
6.EV comp:0
7.White Balance: Auto or 5300K
ISO:100
ISO Max:100
Sharpness:Medium
Color:Flat
I always put on the filter for more color saturation, under the bright Sunshine you need at least ND32, sometimes ND64, the raw images have maximum original pixels (more details in the shadows and highlights) for you to adjust in the post processing, do not take photo in the time of the day with the bright Sun, I take photos normally in or after the Sunset or sometimes at dawn, there are more color displayed during these time of a day, the time of a cloudy or before the storm, there are also great mystery lighting and 3D clouds.
slide-214.jpgslide-220.jpgslide-229.jpg

I'm new to the forum, but yes...my Karma(2017) is still flying with software updates and a GoPro Black 5 and 6 cameras.

I found this forum because I'm trying to determine if the new FAA rules will shut Karma users down in 2023. I'm trying to determine if the new Remote ID requirements can be addressed with the Karma and GoPro or do I start shopping for drone deals in 2022? Anyone

I'm new to the forum, but yes...my Karma(2017) is still flying with software updates and a GoPro Black 5 and 6 cameras.

I found this forum because I'm trying to determine if the new FAA rules will shut Karma users down in 2023. I'm trying to determine if the new Remote ID requirements can be addressed with the Karma and GoPro or do I start shopping for drone deals in 2022? Anyone

This YouTube channel is pretty good on updating some of the new legal stuff
This video in particular states that there likely will be an option for attaching a gadget to older drones to meet those requirements expected to be in the $50 range.
I think this is the right video

This guys channel seems to have good info as well

Those are pretty amazing shots. There are alternative lenses available for the GoPro 7 Black. Just google GoPro Lens, and you will find there are quite a few kits out there.
At least one. :)
If its still flying don't update the software ! I did and mine has been grounded ever since. I have an old gopro and the karma is in perfect condition - flew it twice then nothing.

If its still flying don't update the software ! I did and mine has been grounded ever since. I have an old gopro and the karma is in perfect condition - flew it twice then nothing.
G'day mate.
Sorry to hear your Karma isnt up and flying.
Are you sure you updated the components properly?
The update can take quite some time.
Have a read through this forum you may find something helpful.
I cant really help as my Karma updated fine.
You could maybe try a factory reset??

Good luck.

G'day mate.
Sorry to hear your Karma isnt up and flying.
Are you sure you updated the components properly?
The update can take quite some time.
Have a read through this forum you may find something helpful.
I cant really help as my Karma updated fine.
You could maybe try a factory reset??

Good luck.
Thankyou ! I did find something so I’ll get it out again tomorrow ! If it works I will be amazed !

Reactions: Ironspear

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheezy