Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Flying in restricted ZONE.

G Hop

Reaction score
My church for some reason is in a restricted zone. Well I have permission to fly and I wanted to take a video and air shots of the sun setting behind the cross on top of the church. Well after I got in air I realize I was not able to take a photo or video. How do I bypass this feature because I missed a incredible view today.

If you properly acknowledge that you have permission to fly, which is required because you are within a restricted zone probably near an airport, then camera works fine. Just because location you are at says ok to fly does not mean you are not in a restricted area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as I know I’m no where near an airport of any kind. Must have a been a malfunction of some sort but I will try again today. I will fly at one of my usual locations to test camera then go back to the church.
For the shot I’m only flying about 75 feet in the air and cable cam about 20 feet apart.

What is the correct way to acknowledge permission to fly if indeed the video is blocked during restricted flights?

As far as I know I’m no where near an airport of any kind. Must have a been a malfunction of some sort but I will try again today. I will fly at one of my usual locations to test camera then go back to the church.
For the shot I’m only flying about 75 feet in the air and cable cam about 20 feet apart.

What is the correct way to acknowledge permission to fly if indeed the video is blocked during restricted flights?

The remote just asks you to confirm you have permission. Within a certain distance of an airport or heliport, (I think it is 1.5 miles) you will be locked out and unable to fly. You cannot override the warning if you are too close.That SHOULDN'T effect the camera. If you were able to get the drone in the air...the camera should have functioned...weird...

I've flown in restricted areas without issue. I followed local protocols and contacted the airport tower to get permission. A few weeks ago I was in Mexico and got an alert that I was in a "restricted" area and was completely locked out. Upon checking my map I saw that there was an airport roughly a mile away. I spent all day in that area Jet-skiing and didn't see a plane in the sky... but honestly...I'm glad the drone stopped me, because I forgot to do a pre-flight check to confirm it was a safe area to fly... and I would rather be safe than sorry. If I spoke Spanish, I might have tried to contact the airport tower, but quite frankly, I was on vacation...and just didn't want to bother myself with it...

The remote just asks you to confirm you have permission. Within a certain distance of an airport or heliport, (I think it is 1.5 miles) you will be locked out and unable to fly. You cannot override the warning if you are too close.That SHOULDN'T effect the camera. If you were able to get the drone in the air...the camera should have functioned...weird...

I've flown in restricted areas without issue. I followed local protocols and contacted the airport tower to get permission. A few weeks ago I was in Mexico and got an alert that I was in a "restricted" area and was completely locked out. Upon checking my map I saw that there was an airport roughly a mile away. I spent all day in that area Jet-skiing and didn't see a plane in the sky... but honestly...I'm glad the drone stopped me, because I forgot to do a pre-flight check to confirm it was a safe area to fly... and I would rather be safe than sorry. If I spoke Spanish, I might have tried to contact the airport tower, but quite frankly, I was on vacation...and just didn't want to bother myself with it...

That’s what I was thinking, I shouldn’t have been able to fly if the camera was going to be restricted. I total agree with having the feature because it gives you an heads to contact the airport or whoever to avoid a ticket or worse cause an accident of some sort. I will test it on my grip then on the drone.
Thanks for your reply!

Reactions: Shon
And what does this have to do with flying in a restricted zone, except it probably is one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playboy