Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Traveling with Karma Drone (Airplane)

gee whiz

Reaction score
Can anybody give me some tips on flying with the Karma drone. How to get through security, did you have to check bag or keep it with you on plane as carry-on, did you have to seperate battery or any of the components? I am going to Colorado next month and was thinking about buying the Karma for the trip, but I want to make sure the airlines does not give me a hard time due to the drone or batteries. All tips are good tips ;)

Can anybody give me some tips on flying with the Karma drone. How to get through security, did you have to check bag or keep it with you on plane as carry-on, did you have to seperate battery or any of the components? I am going to Colorado next month and was thinking about buying the Karma for the trip, but I want to make sure the airlines does not give me a hard time due to the drone or batteries. All tips are good tips ;)

Hello. I'm planning to take my karma on the plane soon as well. According to my research people mostly bringing it as carry-on luggage, sometimes TSA may open a shell case and ask what it is. No major issues have been reported. My personal advice: if you’re planning to fly with low coaster such as Spirit or Frontier make sure to check carryon dimensions online, because standard karma backpack may be too large and they can charge you extra.

Hello. I'm planning to take my karma on the plane soon as well. According to my research people mostly bringing it as carry-on luggage, sometimes TSA may open a shell case and ask what it is. No major issues have been reported. My personal advice: if you’re planning to fly with low coaster such as Spirit or Frontier make sure to check carryon dimensions online, because standard karma backpack may be too large and they can charge you extra.

Thanks. I looked up the flight requirements for Frontier. I read that some airlines, or TSA agents, might make you separate the battery and keep it in a carry-on separate from the drone since each airline has different restrictions/procedures for batteries and electronic devices. Here are the dimensions for Frontier. Thanks for your response.
checked bag frontier.JPG frontier carry on.JPGgoprocasespecs.JPG

Have flown with mine several times. Have brought it as a carry one each time. Only once was it opened and searched. Had 2 batteries with it in the hard shell case.

Have flown with mine several times. Have brought it as a carry one each time. Only once was it opened and searched. Had 2 batteries with it in the hard shell case.
Thank you for this information.

I’ve flown California to Florida, Taiwan and Hong Kong. I had one battery in the drone and two extra in the case. Karma was my carry-on. I had no issues with the airlines or security.

Reactions: gee whiz
Same here. I am planning to take Karma to Guatemala and Honduras. Any advise? Do I require any permissions (non-commercial flights only)?

Hello all,

I flew with my family to: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, Hawaii, then back to Colorado this past September with my Karma in a backpack as "carry on" without issue. Had two batteries in backpack.

No problems with TSA or airport security in countries mentioned.

Only "hiccup" was when I tried to carry my Karma into the Great Wall in my backpack. Authorities interdicted me, holding onto my Karma until we left the Great Wall.

Hello all,

I flew with my family to: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, Hawaii, then back to Colorado this past September with my Karma in a backpack as "carry on" without issue. Had two batteries in backpack.

No problems with TSA or airport security in countries mentioned.

Only "hiccup" was when I tried to carry my Karma into the Great Wall in my backpack. Authorities interdicted me, holding onto my Karma until we left the Great Wall.

Good to know. I'm assuming no drone flight off the Great Wall?

All batteries MUST be in your carry-on. You can check your drone if you want, but batteries can't be checked.

Reactions: Shon
I would “discourage” checking in your Karma. Baggage Handlers “toss” just about every bag into and off of the luggage carts and aircraft.

Why chance damage.......

I would “discourage” checking in your Karma. Baggage Handlers “toss” just about every bag into and off of the luggage carts and aircraft.

Why chance damage.......

I agree 100%, but legally you CAN check the drone if you want. You can't check the batteries. That was what I was trying to say.

Reactions: Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS