Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Not the drone it was advertised to be

Skyline87

Reaction score
After a few good flights and having faith in gopro i was like yep ive got a cool drone.

After my first crash landing i was like yep no worries. Replace the blades and carry on but then i noticed that even after crashing this drone it just doesnt stop. It has no idea its crashed and just continues to try and fly which is not only dangerous but also ridiculous having to get in there and pull its battery out while its still trying to fly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2nd crash happened while using return to me and it lost its compass and just smashed into a fence.

Dont want to go down the dgi path as the karma has amazing stability and footage capabilities.

Hi Skyline,

Sorry to hear of the rough start. Let me see if I can help any from what you are describing:

Drone do not stop - This almost sounds as if you lost connection from the controller to the Drone. My recommendation would be to search out how to "Un Pair" the controller and Karma. See if there is a software update and then re pair the two.

Lost compass and flew into a fence - This sounds more like loosing GPS vs the Compass. The compass is only really for seeing what direction the Karma is flying relative to your position.

Were they any audible or visual warnings from the controller?

DJI products crash and fly away too.

My advice is to fly manually and avoid using return to home.

My experience has been that the closer you fly to civilization, the more electronic interference you can expect to have. Flying over the ocean? No problem. Fly to close to the condos or hotel on the beach, expect signal issues. Loss of GPS or poor GPS can lead to significant flight instability.

I’ve never crashed my drone. Had some close calls but I treat it like I treat my car. Never crashed one of those either.

Reactions: james shih
Karma drone won't be launched without enough GPS signal, and the connection between controller and drone is either interfered or lost, karma will be back to you ( the controller ) or to the launch location, it will not fly away or crash anyhow, what important is not push to the limit (altitude, distance and battery power) of the drone ability.
Auto return can face an unknown danger ( if the drone is not high enough), just cancel the "return to home" function ( tap the "x" on the screen) and manually fly back, I have also not crashed my drone once.

Crashed my Karma once. Motors were automaticaly shut off at once as the drone tilted over a specific angle.

Crashed my Karma once. Motors were automaticaly shut off at once as the drone tilted over a specific angle.

I’ve seen that happen with the Mavic too. One of the weird ones I saw last week, pilot hit full down throttle while the drone was hanging over the edge of a cliff. The updraft counteracted the downward command of the drone. The drone interpreted this as “landed” since the drone wasn’t getting any lower, and the engines shut off. Drone crashed to the bottom of the cliff, not recoverable.

After a few good flights and having faith in gopro i was like yep ive got a cool drone.

After my first crash landing i was like yep no worries. Replace the blades and carry on but then i noticed that even after crashing this drone it just doesnt stop. It has no idea its crashed and just continues to try and fly which is not only dangerous but also ridiculous having to get in there and pull its battery out while its still trying to fly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2nd crash happened while using return to me and it lost its compass and just smashed into a fence.

Dont want to go down the dgi path as the karma has amazing stability and footage capabilities.

Other than cost you have possibilities where other drones outclass the Karma. The only thing the Karma brings that the others don't is native hyperlapse in camera, but even that comes at a cost (FOV restrictions). I like the Karma, but am frustrated by both the camera and the drone and their shortcomings. The inability to do linear FOV in 4k (including with the newest camera) is unbelievably stupid. The range (and disconnect issues) on the Karma speak to poor testing prior to release. As a discontinued product it is unlikely ever to improve, but at least falling out of the sky has become less common.

I got the Karma solely because it was basically free with the purchase of a GoPro and handheld gimbal. I do fly it quite a bit and love the (limited) abilities it has and also think it is the best controller of any of the drones I have. If you lined up all of the drones available you could pick things that you like from each of them, but none of them are best at everything.

Reactions: Shon
i am new.. flown over 10-15 packs.. and no issues.. but 1 issue i encountered.. yesterday when flying.. the controller said battery was low.. so i flew it back.. and was trying to land it.. it landed.. but it didnt land exactly level.. the drone leaned over.. and the props on the right side were hitting the ground.. is there a shut down on the controller i havent seen yet?

i am new.. flown over 10-15 packs.. and no issues.. but 1 issue i encountered.. yesterday when flying.. the controller said battery was low.. so i flew it back.. and was trying to land it.. it landed.. but it didnt land exactly level.. the drone leaned over.. and the props on the right side were hitting the ground.. is there a shut down on the controller i havent seen yet?

Not that I am aware of.

This has happened to me more than once. Just the slightest grade and the drone tips. A couple of times props actually flew off the drone.

Never broke a prop, but I did have signs of wear, and eventually replaced the props out of an abundance of caution.

Reactions: dgrobe2112

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS