Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma bad connection

Ninabeertje

Reaction score
Today it was a sunny not to windy day to get out with karma again.
I went to the field across the street where i did fly more often.
I did wanted to test the cable cam mode to find out how this works. Because i live on the outscirt of our village there are not much houses and the field across the street is big so nice to practice and fly. So i pointed karma the points to fly and started recording. Everything went wel and i let karma hoover above me and started to ascent to 50 meters. This is the maximum altitude i put into the controller. I noticed the video connection was garbled but ok that is video not to worry. At 50 meters i let karma spin arroun a bit and sudenly it said bad connection returning to starting point. Because of the stories here i was very afraid to loose control of karma and try to decent it but had the feeling it did not listen and decended in its own way. I hoped that the connection would come back if karma was lower but that was not the case. Lucky it landed on the starting point and shut down. That was the moment the bad connection disappeared. I let it fly again with no problem. Not as high before but tested to grab karma out of the sky instead of a normal landing.

Has anyone experienced also this bad connection and knows where this is comming from or how to prevent it. Further how to handle if this happens.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T820 met Tapatalk

Bad connection could be caused by many things. The good news is, it sounds like the Karma performed as programmed.

Other than selecting an appropriate place to fly (assuming you did that) I would recommend ALWAYS calibrating your compass before the first flight of the day. I also recommend aiming the back of your controller at the drone. Some people find that it is helpful to completely open the screen, so that the back of the controller is raised towards the air. If the back of the controller has direct line of sight and is not obscured by the screen on the controller, your body (Facing away from the drone), trees, etc. you will have a stronger connection.

When you are testing the limits of your drone's capabilities, like flying as high as you can fly, or as far as you can fly, expect that you may experience some control issues.

As long as it is calibrated, it wont fly away. That's what I know. I lost my drone back in December while on vacation due to fly away reason because I skipped the calibration even it asked me to and was just a week ago to realize that the controller has a map and it tells me its last known location. It was 8K miles from me now so there is 0 chance that I am getting it back.

*I am getting a new drone today and I will share everything I know for the better of every karma owners

Reactions: Shon
Bad connection could be caused by many things. The good news is, it sounds like the Karma performed as programmed.

Other than selecting an appropriate place to fly (assuming you did that) I would recommend ALWAYS calibrating your compass before the first flight of the day. I also recommend aiming the back of your controller at the drone. Some people find that it is helpful to completely open the screen, so that the back of the controller is raised towards the air. If the back of the controller has direct line of sight and is not obscured by the screen on the controller, your body (Facing away from the drone), trees, etc. you will have a stronger connection.

When you are testing the limits of your drone's capabilities, like flying as high as you can fly, or as far as you can fly, expect that you may experience some control issues.
Thanks for your reply. Because i am a newby mostly i fly on the field across the street to get a feeling with karma. I am not trying all limmits of karma. Max altitude is set to 50 meters and max distance is set to 100 meters. This is within the rules Here in Holland always in sight. It did not feel good and i was affraid to loose karma partly because of the stories here on this forum. I made untill now about 15 flights so i realy am a virgin in flying. I hope i can trust karma and concentrate on flying and make nice movies or pictures.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

As long as it is calibrated, it wont fly away. That's what I know. I lost my drone back in December while on vacation due to fly away reason because I skipped the calibration even it asked me to and was just a week ago to realize that the controller has a map and it tells me its last known location. It was 8K miles from me now so there is 0 chance that I am getting it back.

*I am getting a new drone today and I will share everything I know for the better of every karma owners

Calibration can help, but here are other scenarios where a flyaway is possible:
1 controller loses GPS.
AND
2. Pilot pushes return to home button when GPS is lost
Or
3. Drone loses connected to controller and attempts to auto land while GPS is lost
Or
4. Karma battery runs low and initiates auto landing while GPS is lost.

With GPS loss and lack of an experienced pilot at the controls, even a slight breeze can quickly push the Karma out of controller range, resulting in a flyaway.

One of the guys that I fly with owns this antenna and he raves about the increase in range and overall solid connection. If you are having a connection issue then this antenna may be worth a try.RangePro Antenna.JPG

One of the guys that I fly with owns this antenna and he raves about the increase in range and overall solid connection. If you are having a connection issue then this antenna may be worth a try.View attachment 188

If it was a simple attachment, I would strongly consider it. Having watched the install video, I just simply don’t have the tools or the technical skills required to modify the internal components of my controller.

I noticed they offer professional installation at the ITElite website. Its a bit pricey but i feel its a good service to offer for pilots that do not want to get their hands dirty.

Reactions: Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS