Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Doubts and perplexities

Fuarce

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm thinking of buying a used Karma (practically new) here in Italy where I live for a rather cheap amount (about 250 usd). I already own a Hero 4 that I'm very happy with and I've been looking for a drone that could safely take it to the skies. The possibilities of choice are actually rather few: Phantom 2 or Karma.
In reality I still have doubts about it, but I would be more inclined to give credit to an instrument designed for my Gopro. However, reading the thousand problems that still afflict Karma, I have a bit of fear, especially for the following reasons:
- the bad range linked to the wifi connection
- poor reliability linked to the frequent loss of GPS signal
What worries me is that these problems remain while maintaining a "sight" distance of the drone (which would be my case).
The person who sells me the Drone has sworn to me that he has only had positive experiences, but I wanted to ask you what you think.
Thank you in advance for the help

G'day mate!

The Karma drone is a great platform for the gopro camera.

This drone is NOT like the DJI ones at all, there is NO obstacle avoidance.
You just need to remember to keep it within line of sight and dont fly it to close to trees, buildings, power lines etc. If you want to weave in and out between trees etc then you should probably get a stunt quad AND expect that to crash a lot.

Best place to practice with it would be to find a nice clear open field in the countryside somewhere.

The bad thing about the internet is that you tend to only hear about the BAD things that happen to drone pilots. When people have had an uneventful and fun time with the drone they wont moan about it, but if they crash (usually due to pilot error) they are very quick to get on the 'net and cry about how their drone crashed or flew away.

"Buy the Karma" is my recommendation, but treat it gently and treat it with respect. You will end up getting great footage with your gopro.

Reactions: Steveatron
Hi everybody,
I'm thinking of buying a used Karma (practically new) here in Italy where I live for a rather cheap amount (about 250 usd). I already own a Hero 4 that I'm very happy with and I've been looking for a drone that could safely take it to the skies. The possibilities of choice are actually rather few: Phantom 2 or Karma.
In reality I still have doubts about it, but I would be more inclined to give credit to an instrument designed for my Gopro. However, reading the thousand problems that still afflict Karma, I have a bit of fear, especially for the following reasons:
- the bad range linked to the wifi connection
- poor reliability linked to the frequent loss of GPS signal
What worries me is that these problems remain while maintaining a "sight" distance of the drone (which would be my case).
The person who sells me the Drone has sworn to me that he has only had positive experiences, but I wanted to ask you what you think.
Thank you in advance for the help

$250 is pretty reasonable. Just keep in mind that you need to purchase a different camera harness (about $40 U.S.) if you want to use the Hero 4. The harness that comes with the drone works for hero 5, 6, 7.

I've generally had positive experiences with this drone. In regards to range, I have flown it as far and as high as I am comfortable, while still keeping the drone in sight. I've been flying it for about a year and a half. I also really love the Karma Grip and how much it has improved my handheld videos.

In regards to reliability of GPS and wifi signal, there are many factors that may contribute to these issues. I have lost connection between the controller, I have lost GPS, I have never crashed my drone. The more I use my drone, the better I am able to predict when these issues will occur, and the better I am able to respond to them. Basic rule of thumb: the more urban the environment, the more likely these issues will occur. Geological features, or large communication structures (like cell phone towers) can also play a role. This is true regardless of what type of drone you fly, but honestly, the Karma seems more sensitive to these issues than other drones in my personal opinion.

If you are looking for a decent drone, I honestly don't think you can go wrong at the price you mentioned.

I have mount for Hero 4 if you want it. Have no idea cost to get it to you though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fuarce,

The listed price sounds like a deal provided that it includes at least one battery, the controller, and the gimbal/stabilizer.

I have been flying for nearly two years. I have flown in Hawaii, over the open ocean/surf on a number of occasions without loss of GPS signal.

I have had issues flying in my neighborhood.

I would say buy the drone.

Good luck!

Reactions: Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playboy