Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Wedding Video - ALL Drone footage plus Things I Learned (First Time)

Raincast

Reaction score
Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!

Good Job for your first wedding video with all drone! I would add;

1. Wedding Videos need audio of the ceremony, lav mics would be great (this was a free gig though)
2. Use Adobe Premier to Edit and add Warp Stabilizer under the Video Effects Distort tab. Completely remove the jitter you have.
3. If you do not have one, get a variable ND filter for your drone to help keep the highlights under control.
4. Film in 4K 30fps if you can, then you can punch down to 1080 for some great zoom and reduce to 80% track speed for a tiny touch of slow motion. Weddings have energy, slow mo isn't always needed as drones are so smooth you can film it slowly, just pan slower.

Looks great though, I would never shoot a wedding all drone so you have some balls I'll give you that :)

***Sites for sound, epidemic sound. Get the monthly plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raincast
Thanks for the tips!

I actually bought a VideoMicro a few days before the wedding then realized I couldn't mount it onto my wife's Olympus camera easily so I returned it! I wanted to record at least the vows!
Three of the clips have warp stabilizer and it did a little bit of magic. It sucks that I couldn't do any retakes at all, but that was part of the challenge I guess.
The weather that day screwed me up. There have been forest fires waayy west of us so that day was a mix of hazy and foggy, with the sun popping out once in a while. It was hard to swap filters for the fear of failing to capture footage. And, of course, the next day it was very clear and sunny!

I don't think its balls, I just couldn't afford a DSLR with all the accessories hahah! If a new Osmo does come out, I might consider it. Either way, I'm just doing this for fun.

Thanks for watching!

Good Job for your first wedding video with all drone! I would add;

1. Wedding Videos need audio of the ceremony, lav mics would be great (this was a free gig though)
2. Use Adobe Premier to Edit and add Warp Stabilizer under the Video Effects Distort tab. Completely remove the jitter you have.
3. If you do not have one, get an ND filter for your drone to help keep the highlights under control.

Looks great though, I would never shoot a wedding all drone so you have some balls I'll give you that :)

***Sites for sound, epidemic sound. Get the monthly plan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS