Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Highlights from 2018

Shon

Reaction score
This video contains highlights from various trips I have taken in 2018. From Hong Kong to Mexico It has been a great year. All video was shot using GoPro Hero 5 Black Karma Drone and Grip Package. I think this video does a good job of illustrating the many different ways the Karma Package can be used in creating videos.

All drone laws were followed in the making of this video.

Locations in the Video Include: Red Rock Canyon State Park, California Trona Pinnacles, California Cateract Falls, California Hong Kong, China Phantom Falls, California Bassi Falls, California San Francisco California Calaveras Big Trees State Park, California California Caverns, California Black Chasm, California Santa Monica, California Death Valley, California Lake Tahoe, California Roserito, Mexico Ensenada, Mexico La Bufadora, Mexico Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah Zion National Park, Utah Angel Island, California Bodega Bay, California Mesa Falls, Idaho Fort Bragg, California Donner Summit, California Santa Cruz, California.

This video contains highlights from various trips I have taken in 2018. From Hong Kong to Mexico It has been a great year. All video was shot using GoPro Hero 5 Black Karma Drone and Grip Package. I think this video does a good job of illustrating the many different ways the Karma Package can be used in creating videos.

Locations in the Video Include: Red Rock Canyon State Park, California Trona Pinnacles, California Cateract Falls, California Hong Kong, China Phantom Falls, California Bassi Falls, California San Francisco California Calaveras Big Trees State Park, California California Caverns, California Black Chasm, California Santa Monica, California Death Valley, California Lake Tahoe, California Roserito, Mexico Ensenada, Mexico La Bufadora, Mexico Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah Zion National Park, Utah Angel Island, California Bodega Bay, California Mesa Falls, Idaho Fort Bragg, California Donner Summit, California Santa Cruz, California.

Unreal man, great job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shon
Really really great video!

You have been to some very scenic places, makes me want to visit the US.

Reactions: Shon and Steveatron

Looks like your living the life man! Good for you!!! Keep up the sweet videos!

Reactions: Shon
Hi Shon,
It is indeed a marvelous video, you put together the footage with karma grip and drone which offer the appreciation of the Gopro devices, well done.
I have a question about the karma drone, since I don't have any trouble till now by flying it, but still not sure that there might be something happened sometimes, the question is when we successfully taking off, does it mean we don't need to worry about to fly anywhere ( above the water, close the building or under the bridge etc.) within the secure range, because we start from a suitable location without compass interfere and 90% GPS signal, is that correct?

Hi Shon,
It is indeed a marvelous video, you put together the footage with karma grip and drone which offer the appreciation of the Gopro devices, well done.
I have a question about the karma drone, since I don't have any trouble till now by flying it, but still not sure that there might be something happened sometimes, the question is when we successfully taking off, does it mean we don't need to worry about to fly anywhere ( above the water, close the building or under the bridge etc.) within the secure range, because we start from a suitable location without compass interfere and 90% GPS signal, is that correct?

Thanks for your comments and your question. You always want to pay attention to where you are flying and where you are standing as that can also have an effect. The drone needs to continue to communicate with the remote, regardless of how good the signal is when you start out. The top of the remote really needs to be aimed at the drone for best signal strength, and line of sight with the drone should be maintained. If the remote is too close to something that would cause electronic interference (like if you are standing in the shadow of a group of buildings or a cliff), or the drone is flying near something that would cause electronic interference (cell phone tower, under a bridge, etc.) You can run into trouble. It is possible that your drone will lose signal strength or GPS while you are flying. It has happened to me.

I would never fly under a bridge or through a rock arch, Even DJI drones frequently crash when people do that. The bridge or arch, will block GPS, and all the metal in the bridge or arch May interfere with your signal. If the drone loses connection with the remote, the drone will initiate automatic return to home. It first rotates towards the launch area, then raises to a "safe" altitude (33 meters or 100 feet). Usually this means a disastrous crash that the pilot would have zero ability to avoid.

Generally speaking...I fly the drone in remote wilderness areas, away from buildings or other forms of electronic interference. I also like to fly with a spotter (if possible) that can help me keep track of the drone and help me watch for hazards. When I am flying closer to buildings (like minute 1:52 in the above video), My range and signal strength are affected.

One early warning signal is when the video feed starts to stutter or flicker on your remote, especially when the drone is fairly close to you. This could mean that the place you are flying is not ideal, or that the current conditions are causing interference. If the drone is already having trouble maintaining a signal, it probably isn't a good idea to push its limits.

For example (at 1:52 in the above video), I noticed that my signal was weaker when I was flying closer to the condos on at the top of the beach. I was also standing closer to the condos when filming that shot. Later, when I landed and moved the drone farther down the beach and away from the condos, I no longer had any issues. The body boarding videos(1:55 mark above) were taken in a similar location, but I was standing on the beach and flying away from the condos. I similarly had no issues. When filming the ATVs (3 minute mark above) I had some shots get too close to some condos (this is a bit farther up the same beach, not the same condos), and I started to get some interference, but as long as I stayed away from the buildings, I was okay.

Sometimes you can be doing all the right things, and signal or GPS can drop for no apparent reason. For example, I lost GPS at a place I was flying in the above video (at 32 second mark). It was quite breezy at the time, and I wasn't sure I could maintain control of the drone. GPS reconnected after a few seconds, and I continued to fly without incident. I've lost GPS, My drone has lost connection with the controller. It isn't that big of a deal if you know what to do when it happens.

Reactions: Ironspear
Hi Shon,
Thank you for the detailed explanation on my question.
Attached here 3 photos which I took during my flying, you can see they all are closing to the building and roads in the city, although I should watch out the compass interference from the start and the connection between karma and controller during the flying, but sill not quite understand why it will lose GPS signal (there are normally 14-16 satellite when it is suitable to fly according to the UAV Forcast app) without apparent reason.
slide-20.jpgslide-25.jpgslide-27.jpg

Hi Shon,
Thank you for the detailed explanation on my question.
Attached here 3 photos which I took during my flying, you can see they all are closing to the building and roads in the city, although I should watch out the compass interference from the start and the connection between karma and controller during the flying, but sill not quite understand why it will lose GPS signal (there are normally 14-16 satellite when it is suitable to fly according to the UAV Forcast app) without apparent reason.
View attachment 368View attachment 369View attachment 370

I’m not an expert, but generally speaking, GPS needs wide open access to the sky in order to work. Flying close to tall buildings may cause you to lose connection with satelights or cause other interference that could cause GPS loss.

This drone wasn’t really designed to fly in urban environments. If you choose to do so, expect to have limited range and sudden signal loss. Before you fly you should plan what to do in case this happens.

In most situations, if you lose GPS, you will still be able to control the drone. It will be challenging, as the drone will drift significantly, but you can compensate for drift on the controls.

If you preset the safe altitude on your remote, you can avoid crashing into things if your controller and drone loses connection. If you crash, as many people here can attest, GoPro customer service may blame the location you were flying and refuse to cover the crash under warranty.

While I think DJI drones perform better in these environments, I have seen videos of all them failing near tall buildings, including the Mavic 2 Pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS