Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Anyone in UK have Tips on the 50m rule?

Matisse

Reaction score
Does anyone here have hands on experience of the 50m rule? I'll be in UK next week, and wondering how the 50m rule has affected flying there? Can you just take off and fly at a minimum 50m AGL? (with common sense) i mean like I'll be on Kent Coast, where it's not dense, air space is clear but how does the random "dog walker, beach comber" affect my flights?
Thank you in advance

Just go for it!
And have fun.

In the UK the official website to start at is at Introduction - Dronesafe

It also has an app which shows airport and other no fly zones and if any special events are on e.g. airshows.

If you can avoid any people. After Gatwick don't be surprised if you see fists being shaken at your drone and other negative feedback. Typically from people with big dangerous dogs :)

I have even had someone ask me how I know the drone is 50m from them and have also had someone park in front of my car (at 06:30 in the morning).

EDIT:
On the coast always be on the lookout for Coastguard and Police helicopter's who can turn up at anytime.

Also no taking off from National Trust property (but you can fly over it following the Drone Code).

Last edited:
Reactions: Matisse
In the UK the official website to start at is at Introduction - Dronesafe

It also has an app which shows airport and other no fly zones and if any special events are on e.g. airshows.

If you can avoid any people. After Gatwick don't be surprised if you see fists being shaken at your drone and other negative feedback. Typically from people with big dangerous dogs :)

I have even had someone ask me how I know the drone is 50m from them and have also had someone park in front of my car (at 06:30 in the morning).

EDIT:
On the coast always be on the lookout for Coastguard and Police helicopter's who can turn up at anytime.

Also no taking off from National Trust property (but you can fly over it following the Drone Code).

Excellent M8 this was the exact type of feedback i was looking for. I truly appreciate it!

Excellent M8 this was the exact type of feedback i was looking for. I truly appreciate it!

Enjoy your visit.

It will interesting to see if Karma's flight range is different in the UK with our EU WiFi regulations compared to what you normally get.

Enjoy your visit.

It will interesting to see if Karma's flight range is different in the UK with our EU WiFi regulations compared to what you normally get.

I suspect that the Karma uses the international standard for Wi-Fi, hense the more limited range as there is more noise/interference at that bandwidth section.

I would honestly be surprised if there was any difference flying in Europe over the US.

I don't believe there is any difference. I had an opportunity to fly in EU (UK, Spain, Poland), Central America (Guatemala, Honduras), and recently Malaysia (Borneo to be precise). There is no difference in flight range at all, I couldn't spot anything.

Reactions: Shon
In an open area with not many people you're fine to fly as long as you're 50m above/away. If there's a crowd it jumps to 150m

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS