Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Wifi extender/repeater for Karma.

Since I have 2 sets of Karma drone with 2 controllers, so I have ordered a Itelite range pro extender through their website and would like to install on one of the controller, the main purpose is to see if it can be against the interference when I fly in the urban or riverside area for the Sunset photos, where it is inevitably have some power line towers or cell phone towers existed, I will do the installation myself and would be appreciate for some hint or suggestions.

Right behind you. I just installed the ITELITE kit on my controller. The Youtube video is pretty good.

As others have already described the opening line of drilling a 1/2" hole is incorrect and that some common sense tells you that the SMA connector that you are drilling the hole for diameter is 1/4". What I didn't expect was the incorrect details about the Torx fastener sizing. These babies are small. The first fastener described in the video being removed, on the main chassis on my unit was a T7 Torx. The remaining fasteners that are on the undercarriage of the chassis were all T5s on my unit. In the video the unit that is being worked on has obviously been taken apart many times and one word of caution would be that when tearing down the unit for the first time bear in mind that all of those metal fasteners in the plastic need some patience and precision torque to slowly remove them. The video states using a T6 Torx bit. Too small for my main chassis fastener and too big for the undercarriage ones. It just didn't feel right trying to use the T6. On such small fasteners if it doesn't feel right, stop. Re-asses. The fasteners are easily stripped. In the video the author made a good point about the routing of the SMA wiring. The execution that was displayed didn't make sense. Using the plastic tool to try to route the wires while re-assembling the top and bottom parts seemed counter intuitive. I found temporarily installing the "Front Door," prior to attempting to put the top control face back into the chassis easier to see route for the wires. This brings up a good point. The most important tip I got from the video was that the "Front Door," really does just push up. Practicing taking the FD on and off a few times getting used to how it installs and uninstalls helps.

At first I didn't realize, understand, or even was sure if my control unit was exactly like the one shown in the video. Once again, patience and practicing uninstalling and reinstalling the FD revealed the curved wrap around lip on the top of the front door was not a part of the top chassis and made me more comfortable with the process. I really didn't want to break the plastic.

Examining the provided metal brackets that come with the kit is a good idea. I had to gently do some alignment to fit the form factor of the control unit. No complaints. For something mass produced like this a little tug here and a little tug there, easy no problem.

Had a busy week that ended with losing power at the shop on Friday shuffling my schedule into today. A bit windy and didn't get done with work till dark. Hopefully tomorrow is a bright Florida sunny day for some testing. Good luck. Take your time with the ITELITE kit install.

Reactions: mefisto82
Thank you Efialchemy , about the Torx fastener, I have changed the propeller arm once, Gopro provides a fastener tool for the job, that should be suitable for the disassembling? since I haven't got the parts yet, I will try to open the controller before hand as a rehearsal, once you conclude the disassembling and put all back then it will be easier to do for the second time, what I concern for the moment is if the new SMA pigtail can fix the original socket well.
Wish you have a fine weather to fly again soon.

The Torx fasteners I am referring to are removed with a Torx Screwdriver or Torx Bit that can be installed into some sort of driving tool. Something like this...

Amazon.com: TECKMAN 11 in 1 Torx Screwdriver Set with T3 T4 T5 T6 T7 T8 T9 T10 Security Torx Screwdriver & Tweezer,Magnetic Screwdrivers Precision Repair Kit for Xbox,PS4,Macbook,Computer,Ring Doorbell & Knife: Gateway

The smaller the number the smaller the size of fastener you can remove or install.

The SMA pigtail lines that come in the ITELITE kit have the correct ends to mate on the controller board. They are tiny. Just be really gentle with them. I think that's probably why they include 3 when you only need 2. Look really closely at the video.

I suppose I have a bit of an advantage with this electronics stuff from my experience in the USN.

The first Amazon link I posted about the Torx tool kit did not have the #5 & #7 that you will need. I am assuming that GoPro used the same hardware on the units? Strange error for ITELITE to state #6 is needed? Just check to be sure and use whatever size feels best to you as with any screwdriver tool you would use. Always use the intended size tool for the fastener. The link above should have everything you would/ should need.

Reactions: james shih
Just FYI everyone. You can synch up your controller with any Karma drone. You don’t have to use it with a a specific drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For the last 2 days I installed and tested the ITELITE Range Pro antenna on karma, I have the conclusion as : it has no obvious result on the preventing interference to improve the connection between controller and karma, in the area of much radio interference it acts not better than the original antenna, actually both of them behave the same, I tried also in the area without much radio interference, both of them act also similar although I didn't try to fly more distance (such as 1,000 Meter or more), so I give up and put back the original antenna, the other thought is after installation the controller size become bulk up not convenient when travelling, hope the above can be a reference.

Did you do any signal testing?
There was a guy on here that tested the actual signal and test proved that it was a stronger signal- just saying/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS