Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Which should be powered on firstly, drone or controller?

james shih

Reaction score
I heard somebody warns that we should always power on the controller first and then the drone, because there might be a rascal signal collected by drone but the controller is not in power to find it, but interested I normally power the drone firstly and then the controller, it seems not a big deal ?

Karma user manual manual page 6 says "Power on the controller, then power on the drone". The manual doesn't mention any time interval between the 2 steps, in my experience it takes awhile for the controller to boot up, so in the end I don't know if it matters.

Reactions: Shon
When flying RC planes and helicopters, one always must turn on the radio/controller first and then the aircraft. That helps ensure proper binding between the two. Some systems will not bind or connect unless done that way. In order for binding to happen the transmitter must be on when the receiver in the aircraft comes on and I have no idea when that happens with the way the Karma controller boots up. You can see the controller is looking for an aircraft though as soon as activated. The aircraft comes up pretty quick so is no big deal to turn it on after controller is fully booted up. Seems like solid practice that follows protocol for other systems.

I have not done religiously with the Karma and no problems, but just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely power up the controller first, then power up the drone when the controller ask for it. Then when shutting down do the whole thing in reverse and don,t stray from this practice.

Reactions: james shih and Shon
I always power on the controller, then walk to place the drone on the landing pad. Then I turn on the drone. Then I walk back to the controller and they are usually synced by that point. Power down is exact opposite (walk to pad, turn off drone, walk back to controller, turn off controller.)

I've found that if i power on the drone first it may shut off before the controller is ready so i've always gotten into the habit of turning on the controller first, then turning the drone on once the controller is fully up and running.

Reactions: Ironspear
Definitely power up the controller first, then power up the drone when the controller ask for it. Then when shutting down do the whole thing in reverse and don,t stray from this practice.

And why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: james shih
I've found that if i power on the drone first it may shut off before the controller is ready so i've always gotten into the habit of turning on the controller first, then turning the drone on once the controller is fully up and running.

Excellent point Matt!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS