Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Trying Drone deploy with Karma

gsd

Reaction score
Hi
When I use just the gopro camera (not connected to the drone) the resulting photo has geotagging information.
When I take photos with the gopro karma it seems to drop the geotagging information.
I receive the following message in dronedeploy
"0 images with valid geographical metadata found" I have also checked the properties in windows and no lat long info is kept while the basic gopro pic has lat long info.
Is there a way\setting for the drone pics to keep the exif information?

A is from gopro camera
B is from gopro camera connected to gopro karma drone

1533341329384.png

In general things have been going ok with the karma. Had a loss of GPS today but was able to land it safely... which was fun since I was trying sport mode...

Thanks

Last edited:
I really don’t know what you are asking for, please contact gopro official support for more help or explain a little bit more, thank you.

Just thought I would try here first. I will give gopro a shot. Thanks

Hi
When I use just the gopro camera (not connected to the drone) the resulting photo has geotagging information.
When I take photos with the gopro karma it seems to drop the geotagging information.
I receive the following message in dronedeploy
"0 images with valid geographical metadata found" I have also checked the properties in windows and no lat long info is kept while the basic gopro pic has lat long info.
Is there a way\setting for the drone pics to keep the exif information?

A is from gopro camera
B is from gopro camera connected to gopro karma drone

View attachment 238

In general things have been going ok with the karma. Had a loss of GPS today but was able to land it safely... which was fun since I was trying sport mode...

Thanks

This probably sounds stupid, but how do you access those reports?

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old & bold pilots.
Hummingbird Media Productions

Hi
In windows right click on one of your photos.
Select properties
Choose the details tab and scroll down.

using a free EXIF viewer would also provide this type of information. Wikipedia EXIF for more info.

Reactions: Hummingbird
Just noticed this myself. One think I've loved about my Hero 5 and 6 was having them auto geotag all my photos. Now I'm seeing the GPS is off when the H6 is in the drone? Hmmm thats annoying. Did anyone find a way to make it add work?

I saw someone ask the same question within the last month or so, I don’t think they ever got an answer... here at least.

How does geotagging work? Is it possible that this feature could interfere with Karma’s GPS functionality? I’m speculating, that they might purposely be disabling this feature.

Hi
The geotagging basically adds the latitude, longitude coordinates to the meta data of the photo.

This is useful if you are using programs such as Drone Deploy, Pix4d and Autodesk Recap Photo. With these programs you can do pretty cool stuff with mapping.

Without geotagging my gopro karma will be used for taking great pics and videos which was the initial intent.

I did a search and did not see the post. If you come across it and it has a solution please post. Thanks a bunch.

I have a feeling this was something they completely overlooked. The Hero 6 alone geotags everything(if GPS is enabled), in the Grip it also does, but inserted into the drone and in drone mode it does not. All the DJI drones geotag photos, it makes no sense why the karma does not. Might take a firmware update to Hero 6 I'm guessing. Something in the drone mode turns off the internal GPS, I'd guess it was completely overlooked. Wish we could get into the firmware settings. Cause I doubt this will even get checked out by GoPro considering the Karma has been axed.

Found this thread... I'm not optimistic they even understand the problem...
Pics with karma loses geotagging. How can I enable... - GOPRO SUPPORT HUB

Last edited:
Reactions: gsd and Shon
Well. They might understand the issue? The confidence of the tech wasn't encouraging... In any case, seems its not possible.

GoPro Chat last night:
( 2m 41s ) Visitor: Is there a way to enable the Hero 6 GPS while installed in the Karma Drone? I have all devices up to date with todays firmware updates.
( 5m 48s ) GoPro: Please allow me time to check on this.
( 5m 51s ) Visitor: ok
( 6m 35s ) GoPro: Thanks!
( 8m 20s ) GoPro: Thank you for waiting and sorry for the long wait.
( 8m 27s ) Visitor: No worries
( 10m 5s ) JGoPro: Upon checking here on my end, GPS data can only be accessed in photos (not videos) when viewing media.
( 10m 49s ) Visitor: OK. How do I get it enabled in photos on the drone? All the photos I've shot with the drone do not have GPS info in them
( 11m 20s ) Visitor: The GPS info is present if the hero6 was not on the drone when the photo was taken.
( 11m 41s ) Visitor: but anytime its connected to drone no GPS info is stored in photos
( 17m 26s ) GoPro: Alright. Upon checking here on my end, there is no way to enable the GPS in photos of the Drone as it is only work with videos.

Reactions: meeshootkin and gsd
So not to 1 up. But i believe i was the first person to find this considering the date of the post. I have spent hours on phone with support. To the point of telling them they need to return my money. I have sent messages to the CEO via social media. GoPro has given no acknowledgement of there known issue. Slowly becoming anti gopro, which sucks because i have loved the brand for so long.

I will be selling my Karma Bundle as soon as i can unless an update is announced. Has to be a simple update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS