Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

To Grip or Not Grip your Karma?

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Slightly different question regarding the Karma Grip.
Last Christmas I bought my son a gimbal for his iPhone and he honest he goes everywhere with it and he gets some amazing footage. It was about $120.
I have not seen a bad word said about the Karma Grip, but I must not be using it correctly. With my Son's you see the full screen, it locks onto your face and follows you and there's a joystick to gently pan on/with your subject or a different area. With the Grip, the gimbal covers the camera (5 Black) screen, and if im panning to follow someone about to run pass me, unless I turn my whole body, it only turns when it's travelled it's full range and bangs to the end of its travel (I hope that makes sense). I also find it has a little electrical hum. Obviously we are all GoPro Karma branded fan boys/ladies (myself included) on here, but I'm struggling to find many positives with the Karma Grip worth $350, knowing how a $120 item made by a small boy on $00.08p/h doing a 16hr shift in China* can be like.

*Can you imagine how much things would cost without the Chinese? I'm very grateful to these people.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old & bold pilots.
Hummingbird Media Productions

Hiya mate.
I agree it is a pain in the bum that you cant see the screen very well on the gopro when it is in the Karma grip gimbal.
I bought a gopro elgrande pole, large pole mount, a mobile phone mount and a tripod adapter to hold my phone on the grip or elgrande. Then I pair gopro app on phone to the gopro. I can then see what the gopro sees when its in the Karma mount. $100 later I have fixed the problem lmao! The elgrande is a good bit of kit though :)

Hiya mate.
I agree it is a pain in the bum that you cant see the screen very well on the gopro when it is in the Karma grip gimbal.
I bought a gopro elgrande pole, large pole mount, a mobile phone mount and a tripod adapter to hold my phone on the grip or elgrande. Then I pair gopro app on phone to the gopro. I can then see what the gopro sees when its in the Karma mount. $100 later I have fixed the problem lmao! The elgrande is a good bit of kit though :)

Ingenious idea! I will give that a go.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old & bold pilots.

The Karma Grip makes sense in shooting situations where you would rather use an action camera than a phone camera. Drop my camera in a canyon while zip lining, or in the ocean while filming my kids...sad day for me. Drop my phone while doing the same...really sad day for me...lol

Reactions: Hummingbird
The Karma Grip makes sense in shooting situations where you would rather use an action camera than a phone camera. Drop my camera in a canyon while zip lining, or in the ocean while filming my kids...sad day for me. Drop my phone while doing the same...really sad day for me...lol

[emoji23] Yip, I definitely get the jist noe. [emoji23]

No problem with the Grip when mounted on my car. I check camera before mounting then all I have to do is press the On/Off button. When using it as a hand held I know
it is hard to view the screen, though I site my subject by looking over the top of the camera. If it needs an adjustment, then I make corrections in my Wondershare
Filmora editor. As they old saying goes: "There is more than one way to skin a cat!" I don't mean your poor furry Moggy!

Thanks, the more I use it, the better it is. Getting some nice shots that compliment the Karma.

Yes! Treat your Karma with due care and attention and you will get wonderful results. For the new pilot, it pays to by the Karma book by Jordan Hetrick from Amazon.

Reactions: b00tl3g
I was recommended the book and am about halfway through. The range extender has just arrived, so that with give some extra piece of mind once fitted.

Glad to hear it Hummingbird. Not only to read through but as a reminder reference

Hey Hummingbird! Have you fitted the range extender yet?
How difficult/easy was it?

Cell Phone photos are good I admit, But they still have a long way to go to beat the GoPro 3, 4, 5, and 6 Black for HD and auto light changes.

Hey Hummingbird! Have you fitted the range extender yet?
How difficult/easy was it?

Hello Mate, I haven't flown well for a few days, so it's still on the table. It doesn't sound too complex and should take 20-30 minutes to fit. I will let you know when I'm done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS