Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

This Is Why I Gave Up On Mounting My Karma Grip To My Bike

Yea that bike has over 100,000 miles on it and it's the 12th such bike that I've owned.

Lon, did you expect the tiny motors in the gimbal to hold their own against 100mph headwind?

Lon, did you expect the tiny motors in the gimbal to hold their own against 100mph headwind?

Well, since there are drones that fly around that fast... and gimbals that claim to work at those speeds. I thought it was worth a try. I've considered rigging a "dome" or wind block but decided that it's not that important. I thought this was a funny video so I posted it. This isn't really a knock on the Karma but I were to criticize, one thing I don't like it's the lack of specs in this regard. It's like trying to determine which GPS systems the drone uses. I searched high and low. I even called tech support and couldn't get a straight answer. In fact, they lied to me and said it used GPS and Glonass. I don't think I've seen a solid number from Go Pro on how fast you can go with the grip.

Last edited:
I agree about detailed specs. I haven't seen any comsumer level gimbal that can handle 100mph. Sure you could fork out 15k on a pro one. Have you tried a static mount is image stabilisation in camera turned on?

I agree about detailed specs. I haven't seen any comsumer level gimbal that can handle 100mph. Sure you could fork out 15k on a pro one. Have you tried a static mount is image stabilisation in camera turned on?

Maybe I'm extremely stupid but I don't think that will eliminate horizon tilt. Hahaha! In any case, I've been using a Go Pro on a motorcycle since they came out. I was going to change things up a bit, that's all. It didn't work, oh well. Again if it was that important to me, I'd rig a wind block of some kind, it's not, so I let it go.

To be honest, I can post video at 40 mph where it messes up as well. Crazy horizon tilt, looks up or down, etc. I just thought this clip was kinda funny so I posted it. I'm well aware that there are SEVERAL limitations when using the Karma system.

Lon, you are right in camera it probably won't give you the results you after. Though I like the moving horizon when getting on bike footage. Have you tried mounting behind the screen?

Here's some I got a couple of years ago with no gimbal and no stabilsation.

Okay now you're just messing with me! Hahaha! I bought the very first Go Pro that took AAA batteries. In fact, I have all of my old GPs. I wanted to get video without horizon tilt. It won't work with the Karma Grip at much over 30 mph. Mounting behind the screen on a sport bike is tough and I have a tinted screen anyway.

Okay now you're just messing with me! Hahaha! I bought the very first Go Pro that took AAA batteries. In fact, I have all of my old GPs. I wanted to get video without horizon tilt. It won't work with the Karma Grip at much over 30 mph. Mounting behind the screen on a sport bike is tough and I have a tinted screen anyway.
Same here I have over 30 gopro's from the first one right up to the hero 6.

Same here I have over 30 gopro's from the first one right up to the hero 6.

So you are probably aware how they operate and what their limitations are without someone pointing out the obvious to you...

Yep, as you clearly are also, but you also know I'm sure that other folks don't. Gopro's I am old hat with Karma and drones I'm still a beginner.

Yep, as you clearly are also, but you also know I'm sure that other folks don't. Gopro's I am old hat with Karma and drones I'm still a beginner.

Eh this wasn't meant to be an information thread. Again, I posted it mostly as a joke.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS