Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

The Karma is still being manufactured

Does not sound minor to me and I would assume most that most people reading would assume the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well... to each their own.

I found the signal issues to be a minor annoyance, especially since they mostly occurred per-flight and were eventually resolved.

A larger annoyance is the weight of the unit, when hiking. Car trips aren’t that big of a deal, but it’s definitely noticeable walking 5 to 10 Miles a day.

I’m planning some multi-day backpacking trips next year, and would definitely consider a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro II in order to significantly reduce weight.

If it isn’t in my budget (AKA, I can’t convince my wife, lol) I will probably make due with the Karma, but I certainly wouldn’t be looking forward to it

Last edited:
Hi newbie just bought my karma few day ago .. my first fly crash . My flight just less then 5 meter far and high less that 3 meter when I press landed button to fly to me .. once I press it the drone flying up and crash with palm tree .. before I try to fly I was practice at GoPro controller I just fly same like that I do in controller . In controller when you press the landed fly to you the drone didn’t go up and fly to you just forward to you only .. the difference from the controller practice and real total difference..

I saw your Palm Tree Crash video on YouTube:

I appreciate people like you sharing your video so that others can learn from them.

Thank you so much .. I have share a lot video too .. regarding karma too please have a look ..

Just bought GoPro head strap + quickclip
Will flight karma again with video want to show everyone how poor the karma signal ..

Karma faulty

First of all, I am a novice drone pilot, just like yourself. I am on my second Karma, having ditched my first one into a river, on my third outing.

So, I know how you must feel. From what I have seen, and this is in no way a lack of understanding. It is not Karma being faulty, it is very likely lack of experience. When you tell Karma to return home, it always goes high first and then flies straight to the point from where it took off. What this drone cannot do, it has no collision detector, so it just uses GPS data to determine where it must go. Why it hasn’t cleared the palm tree, I cannot tell you. But the Karma has no way to tell there is a palm tree - or any obstacle in its path. I have made a similar mistake, so I know. And even though my drone only hit a small branch, it fell into water and was a total loss.

What I did, was go home, analyze the clip (as in your case, the camera survived), and having determined it was my own fault, called GoPro support and was completely open with them. I sent them everything, flight logs, clips that I had made so far. They looked at them and saw I was an absolute noob, and decided to send me a new Karma.

Another thing I noticed, when looking at your crash: you were in a residential area. From everything I read, that is not an ideal spot for your first attempts: too many obstacles, too much electro smog and interference. Again, been there, done that, but I was lucky enough that I wasn’t able to calibrate before the first flight. Which is why I keep to open, wide spaces. I have begun getting to know my drone, and I am taking it slowly. I have plenty of ideas in my immediate neighborhood - but since that is a small town, they’ll have to wait, until I feel at ease flying the beast.

Hope you’ll have as much luck getting your gear replaced as I did. Don’t give up on the Karma, but try and get to know her, and also your own level of knowledge. Good luck!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Shon

Karma faulty

I always recalibrate the compass before every flight at a new location. I’ve also noticed quite a bit of compass interference when I am on concrete or volcanic rock. It may be iron rebar, or the iron content of the rock that causes interference.

If you take off from your (backpack) you might avoid the interference issues. Sometimes it’s just a matter of recalibration.

Reactions: Dropi57
The crash one is my first flight .. GoPro claim new set .. this set is new one claim from GoPro .. the drone can’t flight high and far .. lost signal and lost signal ... calibrate compass also lost signal ..

I always recalibrate the compass before every flight at a new location. I’ve also noticed quite a bit of compass interference when I am on concrete or volcanic rock. It may be iron rebar, or the iron content of the rock that causes interference.

If you take off from your (backpack) you might avoid the interference issues. Sometimes it’s just a matter of recalibration.

I always recalibrate after I read this in this forum .
I done everything same thing happen ..
I think should change other place location and try

First of all, I am a novice drone pilot, just like yourself. I am on my second Karma, having ditched my first one into a river, on my third outing.

So, I know how you must feel. From what I have seen, and this is in no way a lack of understanding. It is not Karma being faulty, it is very likely lack of experience. When you tell Karma to return home, it always goes high first and then flies straight to the point from where it took off. What this drone cannot do, it has no collision detector, so it just uses GPS data to determine where it must go. Why it hasn’t cleared the palm tree, I cannot tell you. But the Karma has no way to tell there is a palm tree - or any obstacle in its path. I have made a similar mistake, so I know. And even though my drone only hit a small branch, it fell into water and was a total loss.

What I did, was go home, analyze the clip (as in your case, the camera survived), and having determined it was my own fault, called GoPro support and was completely open with them. I sent them everything, flight logs, clips that I had made so far. They looked at them and saw I was an absolute noob, and decided to send me a new Karma.

Another thing I noticed, when looking at your crash: you were in a residential area. From everything I read, that is not an ideal spot for your first attempts: too many obstacles, too much electro smog and interference. Again, been there, done that, but I was lucky enough that I wasn’t able to calibrate before the first flight. Which is why I keep to open, wide spaces. I have begun getting to know my drone, and I am taking it slowly. I have plenty of ideas in my immediate neighborhood - but since that is a small town, they’ll have to wait, until I feel at ease flying the beast.

Hope you’ll have as much luck getting your gear replaced as I did. Don’t give up on the Karma, but try and get to know her, and also your own level of knowledge. Good luck!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The first time I flew the drone I was on a beach in Key West. I just flew for a short time, and the drone handled great.

The second time I flew the drone I was in Fort Lauderdale, standing between two tall buildings that were very close together. I had no GPS. The drone was VERY difficult to control, but I just had to get a picture of my wife standing on the balcony.

I almost hit a tree on the way up, and almost crashed on the way down. I had a fairly “hard” landing. I was sweating bullets, but managed to get the shot I was looking for.

My third time flying, I was standing next to another tall building, flying near a beach. Again, no GPS, very difficult to control. I landed hard, and one of the propellers flew off. I thought it was gone, but found it hundreds of feet away, boomeranged around the other side of the building. It landed close to a crowd of people lounging near a pool, and I was very concerned that I could have injured someone. I couldn’t understand why the drone was so much harder to control and fly.

After days of much more research, and learning the importance of GPS, I took the drone back out. Let’s jsut say, the difference in flight was night and day!

I read all the manuals, I still made rookie mistakes. I now watch as many Yoitube crash videos as I can, as I would rather learn from the mistakes of others.

I’ve also been lurking on these boards for almost a year. I learn plenty about what NOT to do with my drone, LOL.

Reactions: Dropi57
8bc73e6b901fe057028acb9e916c09bb.jpg

New stock of Karmas at Best Buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8bc73e6b901fe057028acb9e916c09bb.jpg

New stock of Karmas at Best Buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lucky you guys, I think I' have bought one of last Karmas in Croatia, since I asked all the stores whether they'll going to order Karma with Hero 6 they all replied that they don't have that info and that their purveyor / supplier didn't announced anything about that in close future :(

Reactions: Brakejockey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playboy