Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Signal loss from Karma controller to Karma Drone

Not sure where you located. I noted above I think you have a bug in the quad based on what you said. Since I don’t know where you are is hard for me to know you are really clear of interference. At location how many WiFi signals (SSIDs) can you see on your phone or tablet? Karma is a WiFi type system so,,,,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

None. I chose a location clear of any WiFi signals or other electrical interference. Google Maps

Not sure if that will work, I copied it off apple maps.

29.721524, -83.486439 location on Google maps.

It popped up, west of Gainesville. Looks like pretty clear Gulf Coast stuff, unlike Houston area! Is probably fine and like I first commented the way the Karma was behaving indicated a Karma problem to me. Hope they concur.

My comment about moving 30 miles not insuring you are clear is still valid. Is very hard to know all interference points but the location you show would probably be fine. I say that only because I went flying on east tip of Galveston Island with the quad I built and had hell with it syncing up right on satellites. I have ham license and fly UHF for control and 1.3 GHz for video. So not a WiFi problem. It turned out we were flying near an old Lorain station. It must have been throwing off all sorts of frequency harmonics. Affected the whole group who met there. I flew around without satellite lock and saw station and even got pictures of it! Figured it out later. All that just to say you never know!

Thanks for the response. The last to communications with GoPro support they are persistent that it’s no fault with the Karma Controller or the Drone.
It’s beyond me. I know they are differ t systems with different parts, but my Dad has the Phantom 4, he flys everywhere I do with no issues.

To clarify, to get clear of airports and any restricted area, I drove 30 miles.

Well, it up to you to decide whether fighting with them is worrth the aggravation.

If I was in your shoes, I might continue speaking with customer service trying to become “more educated”. How are they able to determine this? Are they only looking at data from when you were flying in a restricted zone? Could flying in non-restricted zone and sending them the flight logs rule out the restricted zone as a factor?

Best of luck to you.

I’ve followed their suggestion, and sent flight logs at each location, all of which are outside the restricted and no fly zones. It baffles me they took a strong stance and said it was the location.

Is good outside restricted and no fly zones as you say, but that in itself has little to do with interference that should affect the Karma. Your last location you posted looks to be far away from any sources of especially WiFi. You need to preserver and get them to tell you what they see to say problem is with the location. The craft consistently doing the same thing in different locations tells me it is an internal problem with the craft. Anybody near you have a Karma to go fly with you?

I agree and I’ve told this much over and over. I’m going to call and talk to them again after I go fly it and record new flight logs at another location. Just aggravating them not listening to me.

I have had an another experience on the issue of "compass interfere move to a new location or re-calibrate", that is I would like in a flight last week to start at a spot which I could get near to take the picture of a flower arrangement on a lawn, but I just couldn't get the compass calibration done, so I moved about 200 meters away to another lawn and launched the karma flying 200 meters back to the same location I was and taking the photo, I learned that where you start is important, once airborne you can get to the spot which have interfered condition without problem.

Reactions: Ironspear
Very nice picture.

I do not recalibrate compass every new location much less every flight as has been recommended. Compass recalibration once done is more related to changes made to the aircraft than the location, unless really serious interference like high voltage transmission lines or something around. I have the the compass in Karma tell me I have to relocate snd realize I am near a parked car or a transformer. A move of only a feet fixes things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the insight on the compass calibration, I think if you forced taking-off at a spot which asks you to re calibrate the compass, karma will not hover stably and shifting, that means you can't air bone successfully.

This is what my Mavic Air manual has to say on compass calibration ( Pretty sure Gopro offers very similar advice):

Calibrating the Compass It is recommended that the compass is calibrated in any of the following situations when flying outdoors: 1. Flying at a location farther than 31 miles (50 km) away from the last flight location. 2. The aircraft has not been flown for more than 30 days. 3. A compass interference warning appears in the DJI GO 4 app and/or the Aircraft Status Indicator blinks alternating red and yellow quickly. DO NOT calibrate your compass where magnetic interference may occur, such as locations close to magnetite deposits or large metallic structures such as parking structures, steelreinforced basements, bridges, cars, or scaffolding. DO NOT carry objects (such as cell phones) that contain ferromagnetic materials near the aircraft during calibration.

Reactions: james shih
I did not say take off with compass interference warning. I said look where you are and move a few feet from any possible source of interference, like a parked car even, and try again. Often fixes problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To clarify, to get clear of airports and any restricted area, I drove 30 miles.

Would you be able to link a map with a marker indicating where you were flying? Was Gopro able to tell you what type of restricted zone they believe you were flying in? Sometimes restricted zones are not all that apparent. Have you tried using Airmap? What does it say?

I mean...if I was in your shoes, after researching above, I would want more of an explanation from Gopro. I would politely keep pressing the issue until I learned what happened and how to avoid it in the future. I might write down specific questions I would want answered: What type of restricted zone? How can I avoid such a zone in the future? How can I be flying in a restricted zone when the same thing happens 30 miles apart in different flying areas? What is the Karma programmed to do if I try and take off in this type of restricted zone? What is the Karma programmed to do if I accidentally fly into this type of restricted zone?

If they have your flight logs, the should be able to point to very specific coordinates or give you very specific information, for example, "You were flying in class B airspace which covers from the ground to 2000 feet."

One of the things I like about DJI Drones is the ability for pilots to get third party review of their flight logs, Third parties can see exactly what occurred, call people out on inaccurate information they post on forums...or give them ammunition to take back to DJI if they aren't getting a straight answer from the company. All we can do here is take an educated guess with really limited information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS