Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Right out Of the box

Herk

Reaction score
I must of got the lemon of the year... I just purchased the Karma Package with the Hero black 5. It looks good in the back pack but that's about it. Right out of the box the stabilizer was giving me issues, and I couldn't calibrate it on the gripp, it just sat there and vibrated. Called GoPro and I ended up sending the faulty one back to them and they sent me a new one. That was fair.... Now with the gripp and stabilizer updated, actually everything is updated. Here is the issue I am having now and I hope someone can shed some light on this. Seems the drone has not flown yet, it needs to be calibrated. I can get through the first step of calibration which is doing 360 degrees with the drone in the horizontal position. In the second step of calibration your to do the same 360 degrees, but with the drone in the vertical position, pointing up. When I point the drone up, the calibration fails immediately, and once the controller says "calibration failed" the camera goes from looking straight up in the sky to 90 degrees straight to the horizon. I believe that to be the issue, when going in the vertical position the camera should be scanning the horizon not straight up into the sky. Can someone please help, I am at a total loss. All pieces are up to date, I live in Canada, and are starting to think that the GPS system for what ever reason does not work here.

Just a thought. I’m assuming what you are calibrating is the compass. To do this properly you should be outside with no metal objects in the area. If you are doing this inside or near some metal you might want to try it out inside or in a different area. If that’s not an issue I can’t think of another reason for this to fail. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drone calibration is different from stabilizer and camera.
Don't worry about the camera's direction.
We all have to do this song and dance a few times at each flight (you should calibrate each flight). Try calibrating with the same speed and direction of the image on the screen. Try keeping your eyes on the screen (like a dancer when they spin) so you don't become dizzy. One lean from you can throw off the calibration. I have nerve damage and tend to wobble anyway. LOL
As for the grip: my stabilizer did the vibro-dance too but it cannot be touching anything when you calibrate the grip- only the grip handle lays on the table and the stabilizer and camera hang over.
Taken from GoPro:
"1. Attach the camera to the Karma Grip.
2. Ensure Karma Grip is powered OFF.
3. Place the grip with the buttons facing up on a table with the stabilizer hanging over the edge of the table.
4. Press and hold the Tilt Lock button for 8 seconds.
The grip automatically powers on and begins calibration. When the battery status lights on the grip stop flashing, calibration is complete. "

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Just a thought. I’m assuming what you are calibrating is the compass. To do this properly you should be outside with no metal objects in the area. If you are doing this inside or near some metal you might want to try it out inside or in a different area. If that’s not an issue I can’t think of another reason for this to fail. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am in the middle of a huge field, there is nothing around for miles

Drone calibration is different from stabilizer and camera.
Don't worry about the camera's direction.
We all have to do this song and dance a few times at each flight (you should calibrate each flight). Try calibrating with the same speed and direction of the image on the screen. Try keeping your eyes on the screen (like a dancer when they spin) so you don't become dizzy. One lean from you can throw off the calibration. I have nerve damage and tend to wobble anyway. LOL
As for the grip: my stabilizer did the vibro-dance too but it cannot be touching anything when you calibrate the grip- only the grip handle lays on the table and the stabilizer and camera hang over.
Taken from GoPro:
"1. Attach the camera to the Karma Grip.
2. Ensure Karma Grip is powered OFF.
3. Place the grip with the buttons facing up on a table with the stabilizer hanging over the edge of the table.
4. Press and hold the Tilt Lock button for 8 seconds.
The grip automatically powers on and begins calibration. When the battery status lights on the grip stop flashing, calibration is complete. "

I realize there two different calibrations, I haven't been able to fly since I got this thing a month ago, I went around in circles to where I was literally dizzie. There is clearly something wrong with this thing, I just want my money back,but you know that wont happen, what a real piece of crap this thing is.

Many of us have the same feeling about how badly engineered it is. Some of us enjoy a challenge to gather data and find workarounds. We understand some of you don't. That being said, yes, I agree it's junk. If you cannot get a refund, some have sold their units on ebay (barely used).

Yeah it's really challenging turning around in a circle to calibrate it, the only challenge I find is to not fall over because of being dizzy. Like seriously I tried for hours, what else can I do, there must be something???

Yeah it's really challenging turning around in a circle to calibrate it, the only challenge I find is to not fall over because of being dizzy. Like seriously I tried for hours, what else can I do, there must be something???
Well, with it being android based, maybe try hard reset?
Mine only acted really stupid once while I was testing after an update-felt like 70s Wonder Woman spinning around. LOL Even though I was inside a travel trailer camper, it calibrated on the third try--without power cycling.
Like I said, one of my many rounds of testing.

Well, with it being android based, maybe try hard reset?
Mine only acted really stupid once while I was testing after an update-felt like 70s Wonder Woman spinning around. LOL Even though I was inside a travel trailer camper, it calibrated on the third try--without power cycling.
Like I said, one of my many rounds of testing.

how do u do a hard reset

I found it once on my ipad, but I'm away on my phone. If memory serves me, it's the same as hard reset on controller and grip. Hold power for 8 seconds. If that does nothing, go back to old school android logic and remove the battery, at the same time hold power- replace battery and keep holding power for 8 sec.
IDK if it will help but let us know.

Greg KellyNew Member

Just created a case with GoPro on the loss of my Karma this morning. Two minutes into flight had power loss and 200 foot fall to asphalt. Drone is destroyed along with my Hero 4 Silver. Praying I get the service from them that I should. I studied this for a year before I made the decision and felt like they had resolved the issue with the original Karma launch. They have my flight logs,pictures and my YouTube page to view videos already published. Any advice from here would be greatly appreciated. The only thing that was heard from my controller was "Karma not communicating with camera" 2 seconds later it dropped.

This is going to sound mean but I'm so glad I bought mine from Wal-Mart because of their 90 day return policy. I actually crashed my first Karma, exchanged it for a second one, that one lost gps over water-I barely managed to land it and that one I exchanged for a Mavic Pro after having it for a couple months. I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart but between the 90 day return and the $69 3 year replacement warranty. It was the best purchase option in my opinion.

BTW for the op and anyone else that had a misbehaving Karma, you'd be surprised what a retailer will do for you with a little complaining. As long as you're reasonable, have your receipts and are willing to work with them-do an exchange or take a gift card, normally they'll help you out if you're within the warranty period. Also, many credit cards offer buyer protection services that may help you out as well.

To be honest, as a rule of thumb, I always start with the retailer, then my credit card provider, then the retailer. With the retailer and your credit card company, you are their customer and they are most motivated to take care of you. Technically, the retailer is the manufacture's customer, not you.

Last edited:
dude I can't even fly mine same problem after I updated is when it went fubar!! Haven't flown mine for a month. Before update I hardly flew kept losing signal it came back lucky but I would have to pluck it from the air. They deffiantly have major issues and its not user error

dude I can't even fly mine same problem after I updated is when it went fubar!! Haven't flown mine for a month. Before update I hardly flew kept losing signal it came back lucky but I would have to pluck it from the air. They deffiantly have major issues and its not user error

Try and return it!

Try and return it!
tried already gave me gopro phone number. Said did that already been waiting since uploaded flight logs nothing. Just waiting a bit then going back and saying gopro told me to return it to vendor there doing a major recall. So ill just lie about it since honesty lost its meaning here on planet earth have to lie like the rest of humanity its disgusting but IT WORKS!!! What happen to humans owning up to just know when you fucked up and standing behind yourself??

Make sure your controller is far enough away from the drone to not cause interference. Make sure the landing gear is completely deployed and don't touch it while calibrating.

Calibrate in an open field, no metal (including underground irrigation etc), reinforced concrete, sand (which may contain magnetite), or electronic devices (take your phone out of your pocket). If you still can't get the compass to calibrate, skip to the second calibration, accelerometer, and do that first. I'm not sure why this works but it seems to help.

Once you get your compass calibrated, place the drone on a flat level surface and then scroll down and perform a calibration on the stabilizer.

Once everything is calibrated, give the drone an extra minute or two after receiving, "Ready to fly" to allow the drone to aquire additional satellites (not mandatory but a good idea). I like to start recording and use the camera timer. At two minutes I take off. This gives you the added benefit of having the recording started to ensure you don't miss any shots.

After flying for 5-10 minutes, land the drone and do the acceleromter calibration again. This calibration works best when all of the drone components are, "hot".

Manually land instead of using the auto land to ensure you don't mess up the compass over time (it's in the landing gear). You can land softer than the auto land feature.

I purchased Karma the night it was released and again after recall. I fly 2-3 times per week and have had no issues.

Reactions: CRXPanda
hey judosurfer thank you for the input I will try it all again as you described. But I have tried calibrating in an empty field I get through the calibration its on take off . I take off slowly and lose signal from remote to drone and it hovers in place. Luckily I take off slowly just in case i lose signal not even 3ft iblose signal and full control and i have to grab it or it takes off by it self. Can you explain a solution for that?? Thank you in advance!!

If you are losing connection to the controller that close up I would do the following:
  1. Restore the Karma settings https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/Karma-s-Restore-Option
  2. Unpair your drone from the controller by going to the menu, then connect, then pairing
  3. Hard reset the controller and drone by pressing and holding the power button for at least 8 seconds on each
  4. Re-pair the drone to the controller https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/How-to-Pair-the-Karma-Controller-to-the-Drone
  5. Connect the controller to your home wi-fi and check for updates (run/install all updates if available)
  6. Recalibrate (nothing to do with the connection but in case any of the settings were lost)
  7. Follow this check list I made over at the GoPro Community Support PLEASE READ if you plan to fly - GOPRO SUPPORT HUB
If that doesn't work you need to get a new controller, drone, or both as obviously there is an issue with your connection. If you can exchange the Karma system at the place you purchased it, I'd advise you do so. If your purchase was through GoPro or you are unable to get an exchange, contact the Support Team. You will want to provide them with a list of all the steps you have taken (including flying under the conditions I outline in my checklist (#7 above). You also want to be sure to give them your serial number from the controller (located under the plug where you charge the device). Let them know you want your case forwarded to the Karma Team. Get your problem ticket number from the rep. As soon as you finish with the rep, go to connections and upload your flight logs to GoPro.

Make sure your controller is far enough away from the drone to not cause interference. Make sure the landing gear is completely deployed and don't touch it while calibrating.

Calibrate in an open field, no metal (including underground irrigation etc), reinforced concrete, sand (which may contain magnetite), or electronic devices (take your phone out of your pocket). If you still can't get the compass to calibrate, skip to the second calibration, accelerometer, and do that first. I'm not sure why this works but it seems to help.

Once you get your compass calibrated, place the drone on a flat level surface and then scroll down and perform a calibration on the stabilizer.

Once everything is calibrated, give the drone an extra minute or two after receiving, "Ready to fly" to allow the drone to aquire additional satellites (not mandatory but a good idea). I like to start recording and use the camera timer. At two minutes I take off. This gives you the added benefit of having the recording started to ensure you don't miss any shots.

After flying for 5-10 minutes, land the drone and do the acceleromter calibration again. This calibration works best when all of the drone components are, "hot".

Manually land instead of using the auto land to ensure you don't mess up the compass over time (it's in the landing gear). You can land softer than the auto land feature.

I purchased Karma the night it was released and again after recall. I fly 2-3 times per week and have had no issues.

Geez, how often do you do all this stuff?

All this stuff? Every GPS drone needs to be calibrated. Once done properly, it can be done periodically and always if flying more than 100 miles from where it was last calibrated.

It's the pilots responsibility to ensure that all of the safety checks have been done on the craft before each flight, the environment (including kp index below 4) is suitable, and all settings & calibrations are correct. If you aren't doing this with your Mavic, you should return it as well.

Reactions: CRXPanda

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS