Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Range problems

Speed Triple

Reaction score
Hi, I can't get over 500 meters of range in the city. How come with the Mavic they can do even 3km? Is there any effective remedy to solve this problem?

Hi, I can't get over 500 meters of range in the city. How come with the Mavic they can do even 3km? Is there any effective remedy to solve this problem?

Yes there is something you could do. Buy a Mavic LOL.
The Karma isn't designed for long range flights, you should always keep it within line of sight.
It becomes very risky if you dont.

Take care and have fun.

Reactions: XerxesZ and SurfDog
[QUOTE = "Ironspear, post: 6464, membro: 1297"]
Sì, c'è qualcosa che potresti fare. Compra un MOL LOL.
Il Karma non è progettato per voli a lungo raggio, dovresti sempre tenerlo a portata di vista.
Diventa molto rischioso se non lo fai.

Abbi cura di te e divertiti.
[/CITAZIONE]
Pensi che sia possibile risolvere il problema in qualche modo?
Altrimenti dovrò davvero comprare un Mavic ???

Reactions: Ironspear
[QUOTE = "Ironspear, post: 6464, membro: 1297"]
Sì, c'è qualcosa che potresti fare. Compra un MOL LOL.
Il Karma non è progettato per voli a lungo raggio, dovresti sempre tenerlo a portata di vista.
Diventa molto rischioso se non lo fai.

Abbi cura di te e divertiti.
[/CITAZIONE]
Pensi che sia possibile risolvere il problema in qualche modo?
Altrimenti dovrò davvero comprare un Mavic ???

Sorry mate but I cant understand you.
Sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: dronelover
Do you think it is possible to solve the problem in some way?
Otherwise I will really have to buy a Mavic ???
You can get range extenders for the Karma.
Have a look through the forum. You will find information about them.
They seem to work well but need technical knowledge to fit/install.

Good luck.
Stay safe.

I have 2 Karma drones since 2019, Karma drone is a drone for taking video and photos at a medium low price, but not for flying fun or sky racing , as a photographer I like its video and images quality with Hero 7, I have also recently bought a Parrot Anafi drone for my photography activities, it is a very portable and easy bring with instrument for taking video and images.

(Gorpro Karma / Hero 7)
(Parrot Anafi)

The Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro , and Mavic 2 zoom use a proprietary remote control software that allows much better range. Interestingly enough...DJI used to be an RC remote control company before they got into the drone business.

The Mavic Air and Mavic MIni use a standard wifi technology. In the EU...they can only go 500m max, similar to the Karma...and many in the EU report range issues. In the U.S, the AIr can use FCC mode, which means it can go 2000m max. Many in the EU use a hack that allows them to use bandwidth that is illegal in the EU, but legal in the U.S.

The Mavic Air remote software allows a pilot to view the frequency settings and see how much interference is occurring at various frequency. FCC mode allows the drone to use higher wifi frequencies that are generally not as congested. It allows users to lock in frequencies that are less cluttered or have less interference. This is an advanced software feature not offered on the Karma.

I suspect that the Karma uses the lower more congested wifi frequencies similar to the Low end DJI drones. As such...it it subject to SIGNIFICANT interference in urban settings. When I fly the Karma...the closer I am to nature...the better it flies. If I am standing on a beach and fly it over the ocean...it will fly as far as I can fly it while maintaining visual range. If I try to fly the Karma closer to the condos that are on the beach...it will quickly run into interference issues.

The Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro , and Mavic 2 zoom use a proprietary remote control software that allows much better range. Interestingly enough...DJI used to be an RC remote control company before they got into the drone business.

The Mavic Air and Mavic MIni use a standard wifi technology. In the EU...they can only go 500m max, similar to the Karma...and many in the EU report range issues. In the U.S, the AIr can use FCC mode, which means it can go 2000m max. Many in the EU use a hack that allows them to use bandwidth that is illegal in the EU, but legal in the U.S.

The Mavic Air remote software allows a pilot to view the frequency settings and see how much interference is occurring at various frequency. FCC mode allows the drone to use higher wifi frequencies that are generally not as congested. It allows users to lock in frequencies that are less cluttered or have less interference. This is an advanced software feature not offered on the Karma.

I suspect that the Karma uses the lower more congested wifi frequencies similar to the Low end DJI drones. As such...it it subject to SIGNIFICANT interference in urban settings. When I fly the Karma...the closer I am to nature...the better it flies. If I am standing on a beach and fly it over the ocean...it will fly as far as I can fly it while maintaining visual range. If I try to fly the Karma closer to the condos that are on the beach...it will quickly run into interference issues.

How did you solve this problem? Are you left with the original controller without range extender?

How did you solve this problem? Are you left with the original controller without range extender?

If you are trying to fly the Karma in an urban area...a range extender isn't going to help very much. It isn't a weak signal that is the problem, it is signal interference.

Have you ever been on a telephone with "Crossed signals"? You can hear multiple conversations on the line at the same time? That is basically what is happening with your drone. There are too many "competing" conversations. Sure...your conversation might be stronger...but the other conversations are still in the background making communication difficult.

How do I solve this problem? I fly the drone as far away from a city or urban environment as I can. When I am flying in the mountains or at the lake...I get a great signal and great range. I'm not competing with other electronic devices using the same radio bandwidth. If I try to fly my drone near a bunch of homes, apartments, hotels, resorts, etc that have WiFi...I can and do expect to have some problems.

This is also true for DJI Drones as well...but to a lesser extent as they are better engineered in this regard. Even in the best of circumstances, you will not match the range of DJI Drones. That said...there really isn't much of a need to. I don't fly my Mavic Air any farther away than I flew my Karma. I might even keep it closer, because it is much smaller and harder to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: XerxesZ
Yes, I agree with you, Shon, I have installed a range extender called "Range pro" from a Poland company before, but it was not much help to against the wifi interference which is what I originally want, may be it can have more distance range flying in the country or beach areas where less wifi interference presented, now some drones like DJI or Parrot Anafi, the firmware in the controller let you select the wifi range channels (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) before you fly, it can help to avoid using the crowded channels, interference is interference, we must be careful when flying a drone.

If you are trying to fly the Karma in an urban area...a range extender isn't going to help very much. It isn't a weak signal that is the problem, it is signal interference.

Have you ever been on a telephone with "Crossed signals"? You can hear multiple conversations on the line at the same time? That is basically what is happening with your drone. There are too many "competing" conversations. Sure...your conversation might be stronger...but the other conversations are still in the background making communication difficult.

How do I solve this problem? I fly the drone as far away from a city or urban environment as I can. When I am flying in the mountains or at the lake...I get a great signal and great range. I'm not competing with other electronic devices using the same radio bandwidth. If I try to fly my drone near a bunch of homes, apartments, hotels, resorts, etc that have WiFi...I can and do expect to have some problems.

This is also true for DJI Drones as well...but to a lesser extent as they are better engineered in this regard. Even in the best of circumstances, you will not match the range of DJI Drones. That said...there really isn't much of a need to. I don't fly my Mavic Air any farther away than I flew my Karma. I might even keep it closer, because it is much smaller and harder to see.

Very often I operate a civil protection service, and therefore it is necessary to fly to the city for checks and surveys of the territory.
is there a way to allow Karma to change those frequencies? Even adding an aftermarket accessory.

You can’t just change frequencies. DJI, the Karma, and literally all commercially available quads and airplanes use the same group of frequencies as do wireless wifi and other devices. Why, because those are the frequencies allowed for unlicensed use in the USA. You can buy other transmitters and receivers for control and video but I know no way to integrate into any system like DJI or Karma. They all require a ham radio license to use. Many did this and got a license but most ignored. You can build your own quad and pick your control and video frequencies. I use 900mHz for control and 1.2 GHz for video on all my “home built” stuff, my call sign in KG5BBF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very often I operate a civil protection service, and therefore it is necessary to fly to the city for checks and surveys of the territory.
is there a way to allow Karma to change those frequencies? Even adding an aftermarket accessory.

The short answer is no. I would not recommend Karma for this use. The Karma is very reactive to "Rebar" so...just taking off from a sidewalk is likely to give you a "compass error". Flying in the city near building could result in GPS loss while flying, which can make the drone VERY unstable and difficult to manage if this occurs.

If you have to use this drone...the closer you are to it, the better.

As another user mentioned, you are stuck with the frequencies you are legally allowed to use in your country. DJI products can "Isolate" frequencies...the Karma Can't. Some DJI products offer usage at the higher end of legal frequencies, that are less congested. They are also better engineered to deal with interference and can fly for longer, and with better range.

Reactions: Ironspear

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS