Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Question about the built-in simulation

phrogpilot73

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a used Karma off eBay, that didn't come with a camera. Since I'm still in the process of bidding on some Hero 5 blacks (the GoPros I currently have are Hero 2s!), I was curious and can't seem to find it anywhere - can I do the in-controller simulation and learn how to fly while waiting on a camera? Or do I have to have a camera installed in the drone to even do that?

I've recently purchased a used Karma off eBay, that didn't come with a camera. Since I'm still in the process of bidding on some Hero 5 blacks (the GoPros I currently have are Hero 2s!), I was curious and can't seem to find it anywhere - can I do the in-controller simulation and learn how to fly while waiting on a camera? Or do I have to have a camera installed in the drone to even do that?

Controller only needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to the forum phrogpilot73.

Just as JCLs said, yes you only need to have the controller and do not need to have the Karma drone powered on. When I got my Karma, I ended up taking the controller with me to work. During my lunch break I would spend about 15 to 20 minutes using the in-controller simulator. By the time I got to fly my drone, it was actually very easy. I was not a pro but when I can't get outside to fly because of the weather, I will use the simulator.

Take care, best of luck.

Reactions: Matisse
Cool, thanks for the replies! My wife tells me that the drone was delivered today, and since I still don't have a Hero 5, 6, or 7 yet - guess I'll get really good with the simulator! :D

Reactions: Shon and Matisse
Wow! Ya know im grateful for your question! Why did it never occur to me to practice that way?!?! Too funny how one can miss the forest through the trees sometimes! Im having a good laugh at myself right now! Thanks comrade! ?? Im gonna start practicing more. So much more!! Golly all these months waiting for good flying days, when i coulda been simulating, getting better... thats the exact reason for joing a forum... for these kind of tips and shares... cheers.

Oh an welcome phrog! Glad to make your acquaintance :)

Last edited:

@phrogpilot73 - forgot to ask from your last post; which harness came with the eBay purchase? I'm guessing you are looking for a HERO5 becasue it has a "5" harness?

@phrogpilot73 - forgot to ask from your last post; which harness came with the eBay purchase? I'm guessing you are looking for a HERO5 becasue it has a "5" harness?
Yup. I asked the seller which harness it had before he shipped it. If it had the Hero 4, I was going to go with that. It came with the 5/6/7 harness. I was going to get a Hero 6 or 7, but got a price I couldn't resist from another seller on eBay for a Hero 5 Black.

Im thinking of looking for a back up 5/6. Used/refurb’d......GP had some rf’d, for $149, but was out of stock ladt time I looked

Im thinking of looking for a back up 5/6. Used/refurb’d......GP had some rf’d, for $149, but was out of stock ladt time I looked
Going rate on eBay for used is around $130-140. Refurb is around $160-170, and new is going for $190-200.

I got a refurb that hasn't been used (he got a 7) for the $149 he originally paid for it. The protection stickers are still on the screens and lenses. It should be delivered on Thursday.

The simulator is extremely basic, but that’s okay. It doesn’t really train you for real world conditions like wind, drift, loss of GPS, or changing camera or shooting situations on the fly, but it certainly isn’t a bad way to familiarize yourself with drone operation. Just don’t expect to fly like a pro when you actually get your drone up in the air. :)

The simulator is extremely basic, but that’s okay. It doesn’t really train you for real world conditions like wind, drift, loss of GPS, or changing camera or shooting situations on the fly, but it certainly isn’t a bad way to familiarize yourself with drone operation. Just don’t expect to fly like a pro when you actually get your drone up in the air. :)
Yeah, I picked up on that quick. I've reached the limits of the sim, so I've been flying my tiny little drone that is squirrely as all get out a bunch to prepare for when the Hero 5 Black arrives.

Reactions: Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS