Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Polarized Filters for Hero 5 / Karma Drone

Dominic Liam

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a good quality polarized filter for my Hero 5 ? Its to use with the karma drone flights.... Can you recommend good ND filters also ? Thank you.

Check out PolarPro. They have good filters that will fit while flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dominic Liam
Hello.

What do these polarized filters do - in layman terms?

I've always wanted to get some but I love the 4K footage that the GoPro's deliver and I'm hesitant to see if they would really benefit

thanks
James

Reactions: kabonski
I use one when I fly over water. It reduces the glare and if the water is smooth you can see what’s under the water better. People use polarized lenses for fishing for the same reason. So basically it’s glare reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello.

What do these polarized filters do - in layman terms?

I've always wanted to get some but I love the 4K footage that the GoPro's deliver and I'm hesitant to see if they would really benefit

To expand a little on what kabonski said, polarizer filters are designed to remove certain types of light from your shots. This includes glare, lens flares, and most other kinds of reflected light, all referred to with the blanket term "polarized light". As a side effect of the removal of this light, you will also typically see a boost to contrast and color saturation in the image. The most popular use of this type of filter for drone flight is to cut out the glare from the surface of the water, but polarizer filters are also beneficial in environments that are snowy, have a lot of windows, or on days where the sky is brighter than usual.

ND filters, in contrast, reduce all of the light entering the camera by a certain amount depending on the strength of the filter. They are more akin to sunglasses for the camera, and have no effect on color or contrast. For drone flight, they are most popular for folks wanting to use the popular 2:1 shutter speed/framerate setup in order to give their shots a nice, cinematic motion blur.

Both types of filters are useful tools to have available when shooting due to the additional lighting control they offer, especially for anyone looking to capture the highest-quality content possible. If anyone would like any additional information about the way the filters work, please don't hesitate to message us here or send an email to [email protected]. Hope this helps!

- Oliver from PolarPro

Thank You for your advice.

And thanks Polar Pro (Oliver) that is amazing, I was hindered by lens flare this weekend whilst flying, so this is perfect - now I can explain to people like I know what I am talking about ;)

J

Thank You for your advice.

And thanks Polar Pro (Oliver) that is amazing, I was hindered by lens flare this weekend whilst flying, so this is perfect - now I can explain to people like I know what I am talking about ;)

J

You're welcome. Have fun flying!

- Oliver from PolarPro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS