Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Please explain how some drones can exceed 400' rule for altitude and is this possible for karma ?

Many drones can exceed 400' in the USA but that is the hobby ceiling height as per the FAA. Just because it can go higher than 400' doesn't mean you should do so but in some cases it is OK, like flying up a mountain where you will likely be much higher than 400'. Liken it to automobiles that can go much faster than the speed limits.

Karma has the ability to set height and distance limits. The height default is 400` but this can be changed when the location permits it.

Reactions: mefisto82
The flight limits of karma are maxed out at 400’ but you can disable the flight limits under settings.
The FAA rules state that u can not fly higher than 400’ above ground level without explicit Permision from the FAA.
However, the FAA also says that you can Fly up to 400’ above the top most supported area of a supported structure as long as you are within 400’ of it.
This means u can fly up to a 2,000’ radio tower and as long as you are within 400’ distance of it, u can then fly up to the 2,000’ height of the tower and then an additional height of 400’ for a total height of 2,400’ off the ground.
I just used a 2,000’ tall tower as example since I have one near me.
To measure how high a structure is, simple fly up to within 400’ and then fly to the top and level out with it, then take note of your current altitude and simply add 400’ to it and then u have your new legal max altitude dictated by the FAA as long as you are with in 400’ distance of the structure.

Reactions: Grey Wolf
Many drones can exceed 400' in the USA but that is the hobby ceiling height as per the FAA. Just because it can go higher than 400' doesn't mean you should do so but in some cases it is OK, like flying up a mountain where you will likely be much higher than 400'. Liken it to automobiles that can go much faster than the speed limits.

You should know that 400’ above the ground is the legal ceiling of all drones in the us, commercial or hobby, flying above 400’ is only allowed when u either obtain a waiver or permission from the FAA, or if you are with int 400’ of a supported structure like I explained above, or in an emergency situation where flying above 400’ was necessary to avoid a Colishion of another aircraft or some other damage or failur, and in that situation, you only have to file a report about breaking this ceiling to the FAA If it is requested by the FAA because they have found that instance to be of an issue that needs an explanation.
That being said, you should never use that as excuse to fly over 400’ when it was not nessisary or an emergency.

You should know that 400’ above the ground is the legal ceiling of all drones in the us, commercial or hobby, flying above 400’ is only allowed when u either obtain a waiver or permission from the FAA, or if you are with int 400’ of a supported structure like I explained above, or in an emergency situation where flying above 400’ was necessary to avoid a Colishion of another aircraft or some other damage or failur, and in that situation, you only have to file a report about breaking this ceiling to the FAA If it is requested by the FAA because they have found that instance to be of an issue that needs an explanation.
That being said, you should never use that as excuse to fly over 400’ when it was not nessisary or an emergency.
If you are in the USA this information is not exactly correct. 400' is the recommended safe ceiling (manned, fixed-wing aircraft lower limit is 500', helicopters are less restricted). That being said, AMA members, for example, can fly over 400', or at night as hobby fliers without breaking any rules. The rules are definitely hard to navigate and evolving. Here is the list of rules for hobby fliers (non-commercial) from the FAA. If you notice, there is no height restriction listed (Part 107 commercial fliers ARE limited to 400').

If you fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
  1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  4. Give way to manned aircraft
  5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
*SOURCE: Getting Started

Edited for corrections

Last edited:
Reactions: chrismatthewssr
Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport

Are there any more specifics about how best to do this? And is this notification required on a per-flight basis?

Are there any more specifics about how best to do this? And is this notification required on a per-flight basis?
I like to use the "Hover" app.( Hover - an app for Drone Enthusiasts ) to check the area pre-flight. If your flight will be in a 5 mile airport ring you click on it and it will give you the name and number (if there is one) to call (if there is no number you can fly with caution). To be clear, you call to notify the tower, not to ask permission. You inform them of the location, the time frame and the height you will be flying. This way they know you are there and can plan for it. There will be occasional times they may tell you it is not safe to do at that time but this is rare.

Click to see an example of the Hover app.
Hover utilizes AirMap Web App another resource I use.

IMG_0239.PNG

Reactions: paulenki
If you are in the USA this information is not exactly correct. 400' is the recommended safe ceiling (manned, fixed-wing aircraft lower limit is 500', helicopters are less restricted). That being said, AMA members, for example, can fly over 400', or at night as hobby fliers without breaking any rules. The rules are definitely hard to navigate and evolving. Here is the list of rules for hobby fliers (non-commercial) from the FAA. If you notice, there is no height restriction listed (Part 107 commercial fliers ARE limited to 400').

If you fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
  1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  4. Give way to manned aircraft
  5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
*SOURCE: Getting Started
So this is right under the faa regulation for recreational sUAS in the USA

The recreational use of sUAS, drone, or unmanned aircraft is the operation of an unmanned aircraft for personal interests and enjoyment.

For example, using a sUAS to take photographs for your own personal use would be considered recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a commercial operation.

Aircraft Requirements:
Less than 55 lbs.
Must be registered
Operating Rules:
Class G airspace*
Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)*
Must fly under 400 feet*
Must fly during the day*
Must fly at or below 100 mph*
Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
Must NOT fly over people*
Must NOT fly from a moving vehicle*
* All of these rules are subject to waiver
Register Drone

So this directly indicates that you can NOT fly over 400’ or at Night unless you obtain a proper waiver from the FAA.
Also it states that u must use Class G airspace, which almost always has a ceiling of no more than 800’ but again this says there is a height restriction, but also says you must fly Below 400’

I’m not sure where u are getting your information from but I recently went over all the FAA so I could take and pass the part 107.

I should also add to that list that if you look deeper into the FAA rules,
You should always fly under 500’ of clouds and 2,000’ of horizontal clouds and must have 3 SM( statue Miles ) of vissablitiy.

This means even if you have 3 SM of visablitly that day, but clouds are at an altitude of 800’ above the ground, then you can only fly to a legal height of 300’ that day.

Attachments

• 4250AEF8-18E7-426C-8A4F-B8553189C11A.png
    4250AEF8-18E7-426C-8A4F-B8553189C11A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
After more digging on the FAA site, I see the waiver process which puts you in 107 territory. AMA has a slightly different set of rules, I should have been clearer and I believe I did mix up some specifics. Thank you for pointing it out. Waivers are needed for flights over 400' which puts you outside of the hobby guidelines. Like I said, clear as mud. :D

After more digging on the FAA site, I see the waiver process which puts you in 107 territory. AMA has a slightly different set of rules, I should have been clearer and I believe I did mix up some specifics. Thank you for pointing it out. Waivers are needed for flights over 400' which puts you outside of the hobby guidelines. Like I said, clear as mud. :D
Lol it is pretty complicated

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
It's not complicated at all and it's amazing how much this gets screwed up in forums and on the net in general.

If you are a hobbyist, there is NO 400' hard ceiling in the US. It is a RECOMMENDATION, but it is NOT a law or "rule." If you fly commercially under 107, as I understand it, this hard ceiling DOES apply to you barring some very stringent exceptions.

That's the rules. Period. You can argue about it until the cows come home, but if you're telling anyone anything to the contrary of the above, it's just flat-out misinformation and wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS