Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Paranoid?

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Tried to fly today in new locations, but had to abandon.
I was prompted to callibrate compass, which I expected and I obliged with the 'Drone Dance' (like I danced without a drone (or a girlfriend) in the 80's. Maybe the 90's too. Okay maybe I still do!), but the controllerkept saying there was an error. This was 860ft AMSL. Tried the highly technical operation of'switching everything off for 2 minutes, before starting again, but same problem.
The next area I tried was at sea level with a wide open space. Did the drone dance again and it calibrated 1st time. But that was the only good news. I pressed take off and at 20ft it drifted towards the only tree there. I just saved it, but even in hover it would loose height. I manually calibrated the compass again and on take off it drifted again and again I had to fight to keep her up and worse still, I manually landed (like a pro to be fair), with a gentle kiss on the ground. However the props reved up and it took off again, with a very lucky landing.
I can't find any information on anyone else experiencing this and whilst there's a similar video on YouTube, I wasn't near buildings, wifi or power lines, it was just me, the Misses & a flock of sheep.
Being new at this, I didn't want to risk it, I packed up and headed home disappointed & confuzzled.
I tried 3 batteries
There was 12 satellites connected
Kpi was; 2
Arms were fully extended
Props clear of dirt, nicks or damage
I'm paranoid enough with this bird and as I will be using it commercially, I need to know what to do if this happens again.

Lastly, how do I know if I have a first or second generation Karma?

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old & bold pilots.
Hummingbird Media Productions

Wow mate! Scary stuff. Well managed though.

What was the geology like where you were?
Magnetite? <-- utter stab in the dark here.

Have you tried to fly in an area where you know it has worked flawlessly before since?

Hey man, Kp was 2 on Drone Smart & Magnetology apps. Software is up to date too. We have a gale force 9 that's been building all day, but when I can, I will get back to the usual destination and give it a go.

Do you know how to tell if it's a first or second generation?

Tried to fly today in new locations, but had to abandon.
I was prompted to callibrate compass, which I expected and I obliged with the 'Drone Dance' (like I danced without a drone (or a girlfriend) in the 80's. Maybe the 90's too. Okay maybe I still do!), but the controllerkept saying there was an error. This was 860ft AMSL. Tried the highly technical operation of'switching everything off for 2 minutes, before starting again, but same problem.
The next area I tried was at sea level with a wide open space. Did the drone dance again and it calibrated 1st time. But that was the only good news. I pressed take off and at 20ft it drifted towards the only tree there. I just saved it, but even in hover it would loose height. I manually calibrated the compass again and on take off it drifted again and again I had to fight to keep her up and worse still, I manually landed (like a pro to be fair), with a gentle kiss on the ground. However the props reved up and it took off again, with a very lucky landing.
I can't find any information on anyone else experiencing this and whilst there's a similar video on YouTube, I wasn't near buildings, wifi or power lines, it was just me, the Misses & a flock of sheep.
Being new at this, I didn't want to risk it, I packed up and headed home disappointed & confuzzled.
I tried 3 batteries
There was 12 satellites connected
Kpi was; 2
Arms were fully extended
Props clear of dirt, nicks or damage
I'm paranoid enough with this bird and as I will be using it commercially, I need to know what to do if this happens again.

Lastly, how do I know if I have a first or second generation Karma?

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old & bold pilots.

It wouldn't hurt to have Gopro customer service take a look at it and see if there is a hardware defect. They might be able to analyze your flight logs and see something we can't.

I have personally had issues with compass calibration when I'm trying to fly from a concrete pier with a bunch of rebar or other area with tons of iron. I have had "some drift" 3-6 feet, but only significant drift was with lost GPS.

Flew yesterday with some pretty significant winds and the drone held up surprisingly well. Wish I would have checked the lens prior to flight though...got smudged later in the day and ruined some shots that would have been fantastic.

Reactions: Hummingbird
Compass calibration has little to do with actual stabilization.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It wouldn't hurt to have Gopro customer service take a look at it and see if there is a hardware defect. They might be able to analyze your flight logs and see something we can't.

I have personally had issues with compass calibration when I'm trying to fly from a concrete pier with a bunch of rebar or other area with tons of iron. I have had "some drift" 3-6 feet, but only significant drift was with lost GPS.

Flew yesterday with some pretty significant winds and the drone held up surprisingly well. Wish I would have checked the lens prior to flight though...got smudged later in the day and ruined some shots that would have been fantastic.

Thanks, I contacted customer service and like Ironspear commented, they want me to try again in areas I had flown before. That might take a few days with the rain and wind we currently have, but will reply back what happens then.

Compass calibration has little to do with actual stabilization.

I thought compass & satellites triangulated positioning?

Reactions: Ironspear
Compass is heading. Actual position is GPS.

Reactions: Hummingbird

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS