Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Ouch! This has got to hurt

John Doe

Reaction score
Check out this thread. DJI's new Mavic looks like a game changer. Just a few days after Karma, this Mavic Pro is announced. It looks incredible.

DJI MAVICK PRO

Is anyone cancelling their pre-order of their Karma?

ive been a bit surprised at the amount of Karma bashing since yesterday, and ive looked at both systems videos and photos and I just have a gut feeling towards the Karma, so I will be one of the minority not joining in Mavimania World celebrations and may lean towards karma waters !

Reactions: Topher
I'm not bashing the Karma since I have never flown one. I just saw this Mavic drone and was blown away by the specs. I would never buy DJI since their customer service sucks.

its OK I didnt mean you in particular lol, just the furore that has surrounded the release of the mavic has been amazing and have to say the most impressive thing about it was how unbelievably stable it was indoors !...quite something

I know, I saw that too. I was thinking of buying a drone to record my daughter's indoor wedding and was amazed at the Mavic's stability as well. The other thing that impressed me was the fact that the props on the Mavic never show up in your video. To me I thought it was really dumb that any manufacturer wouldn't consider this of paramount importance. The Mavic is first and only drone (sans the DJI Inspire) which doesn't have props in the video due to it's camera placement. I was wondering if the same is true for the Karma since they both have similar camera placement.

Why buy an aerial drone when props get in the video? It defeats the entire reason for buying one. That's just my opinion. If anyone knows whether or not props get in the video using a Karma, please chime in. I'd love to know.

Thanks

Yes there has been a lot of Karma Bashing going on and some bashing of GoPro in general,most of it without any logical basis and before the release of the new GoPro range.Unfortunately a lot of this has been on the Phantom pilots forum,it's turned me right off.One eyed brand loyalty is one thing but some posts I've read recently have been something else.

The Karma has the camera well forward so it would be hard to get the props in shot when flying smoothly going after a more cinematic style of shot.

I will still more likely buy the Karma because it is less costly and includes the stabilizer grip which is something I have wanted for a while,and to get the most out of the more costly Mavic I would have to shell out for a new mobile phone.

i think if the GP5 is worth its salt then the Karma will be a nice machine for what its intended main use will be, Mavic or no Mavic

So all of a sudden today there are videos comparing viseos of the Karma vs. Mavic. The Mavic is showing a soft focus compared to the GoPro. Not good for Mavic, and I have a Phantom. Now I can see a lot more research has to show up on these forums before I buy anything. The one thing I am not sure about the Mavic, it's so small. The Phantom feels big and substantial. Looking at people pick up the Mavic. it looks so small. Good or bad? I don't know for sure.

I did cancel my karma preorder and ordered the Mavic. If Gopro offers the Karma drone minus the Grip and knocks $200-300 dollars off I may still be interested. If early reviews say it gets anything under 20 min flight time thats an automatic disqualification for me.

Im leaving on a trip to Mexico the day after my Mavic is supposed to show up so I cant wait for that

So all of a sudden today there are videos comparing viseos of the Karma vs. Mavic. The Mavic is showing a soft focus compared to the GoPro. Not good for Mavic, and I have a Phantom. Now I can see a lot more research has to show up on these forums before I buy anything. The one thing I am not sure about the Mavic, it's so small. The Phantom feels big and substantial. Looking at people pick up the Mavic. it looks so small. Good or bad? I don't know for sure.

A HUGE plus on the size for me. It should easily fit in my backpack with my DSLR and other gear. Will save me $50 a flight not checking in an extra bag.

Apparently the Mavic uses touch to focus on the smart phone screen. People who have figured that out are showing a huge improvement in video quality.

The Karma at its price is much cheaper than the Mavic as I already have the GOPRO . It will sit nicely alongside my other well known Drone at that price. Also the availability of all the parts for the Karma is a real plus. The camera function of the Karma of course is well tried and tested as opposed to the unknown functioning of the Mavic camera. Not that I expect it to be bad from DJI. The compactness of them both are a real plus and I expect it is the way to go in the future.

The other thing that kills the Karma for me is the range. 3000 feet right? My current DJI Phantom 3 Standard got to 7500 feet last week. 3000 feet is just unacceptable to me.

The other thing that kills the Karma for me is the range. 3000 feet right? My current DJI Phantom 3 Standard got to 7500 feet last week. 3000 feet is just unacceptable to me.

Can you still visually see your Phantom 7500 feet away?

I am used to flying 1000 to 1500 for most if the videos I do so the Karma will actually be fine. I do like the small size of the Mavic for travel....

Glad to have so many good choices at reasonable prices!

Cheers.

Reactions: HFI
With hundreds of flights on my Solo I have yet to see the props in any of them.
Did you see any of the rest of the craft? It came back?

Just kidding. Couldn't pass it up.

By the way, the people saying that there are DJI fan boys. The average age around here is like 35 or above and I think the days of "fan boys" of a company are over.

DJI simply makes the best RTF stuff IMO and also IMO it's not even close so until someone shows me different, I'll change my mind.

I am hoping the Karma is better but that the camera isn't really integrated is sort of a deal breaker for me while others might love it.

GoPro might get there but I don't think they did with the Karma. I think it was a last ditch ever to save a company that was one of the fastest to grow and one of the fastest to fall and not innovate.

I am disappointed in what GoPro has done over the last 10ish years. They came on the scene and redefined it but have done nothing since unless the Karma is amazing.

In case any of you guys are also interested in the Mavic, check out the reports on the new MavicPilots.com site as users begin to receive their shipments later this month - Mavic Drone Forum.

I am hoping the Karma is better but that the camera isn't really integrated is sort of a deal breaker for me

This is the best part for me, being able to take the same camera, and take it from being mounted on an object, to being handheld in a stabilized gimbal, to flying in a drone is pretty compelling. The Karma also completely integrates the camera, it turns it on and off and can tell it to start and stop recording, etc.

Reactions: Topher and clackey
This is the best part for me, being able to take the same camera, and take it from being mounted on an object, to being handheld in a stabilized gimbal, to flying in a drone is pretty compelling. The Karma also completely integrates the camera, it turns it on and off and can tell it to start and stop recording, etc.
Telling it to turn on and off and telling it when to start and stop is before the Vision + technology. Can it pan or tilt or look straight down? Can you control ISO, shutter speed, color temp, bring up and down contrast, saturation, etc all from the app?

I don't know but I'm just going off what you're saying. What you said is not integration, that's basic. If it does all the things I just said, that's integration.

Yeah, the camera is connected via usb-c to the drone, so that's how it controls it. Looks like everything you'd want is able to be set from the controller (see 1:38):

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS