Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

On The Fence..

ProntoWorx

Reaction score
Ok so I have been on the fence for the mavic and the karma since their release as a new drone buyer. Both have their pros and cons for different end users. I feel both would meet my needs in different ways. Without getting too into the debate and discussion, I was leaning towards the Karma... Until the recall. Mostly because I am wanting one soon...

But then after the recall B&H emailed me to confirm I can now preorder the Karma... Huh? So does B&H know something we do not? I mean GoPro has gone on the record saying they will continue shipping the Karma again when the problem is rectified but I just wish we could determine when that would be lol..

I was about to pull the trigger on the Mavic until the email from B&H so I am again struggling haha Anyways just wanted to share and discuss my frustration and see if anyone else is struggling with the same decision. Maybe have any info to share or thoughts...

My 2 cent advice.... order both at B&H then when one ships cancel the other.

The Mavic is a super portable version of a Phantom 4 with several additional high tech features tossed in. The Karma is a low tech drone with a removable camera. These drones couldn't be farther apart from each other. For this reason it should be easy to pick one or the other by knowing exactly what you plan to use the drone for.

Hopefully GoPro will truely produce and ship the Karma and keep supporting it with new features. For now it's anyones guess when or if we'll see the Karma. I'm guessing that end November will give us a few clues in this area.

One last observation about the GoPro Karma recall. It would seem that many Karma owners who are returning their Karma's to BestBuy are receiving a full refund & GoPro Hero 5 and are using the refund to buy a Phantom 4 or Typhoon H since they are readily available.

I wonder if the GoPro Hero 5 that GoPro was giving was a way to ensure that owners may buy items to go with it such as the GoPro grip in future (when available) and or the Karma (when/if available).

I have officially ordered the Mavic. I figure even if the Karma is released again soon it still just does not have the features I want... I will get the Mavic and wait for Karma 2.0 if it comes. Have determined that follow me is a deal breaker... so I think the Mavic will hold its value "ok" and if I really wanna go Karma later I can recoup some monies then.

Regardless I have ordered the Mavic:)

I have officially ordered the Mavic. I figure even if the Karma is released again soon it still just does not have the features I want... I will get the Mavic and wait for Karma 2.0 if it comes. Have determined that follow me is a deal breaker... so I think the Mavic will hold its value "ok" and if I really wanna go Karma later I can recoup some monies then.

Regardless I have ordered the Mavic:)
You cannot depend on any drone holding it's value, "OK", you can toss that notion out the window. The technology is moving too fast. Today's product will be obsolete in a year, unless you buy a Karma, in which it's obsolete the day you get it (wifi comm, no tracking, less camera/gimbal control, small display). I'm really disappointed in GoPro. I have a Hero 4 that I wanted to use with Karma, but realizing the craft needs to be so big, and now its in question when or if it's going to ship this year. My love for GoPro is waning, I don't think I'm alone.

With the camera sticking out front so far, I'm wondering how balanced the craft is. The camera/gimbal assembly seems a bit awkward dangling out front, based on the video reviews I've seen. Nobody has questioned the balance of the craft, nor commented on it. Sure seems like those front motors are going to work a lot more than the rear motors.

You'll be happy when you get a Mavic. It won't come with no problems, all drones have their set of issues. But with just the range capability alone, the Mavic should far exceed your expectations. It has a growth path for your skill level to continue to grow over time, unlike the wifi provides in Karma.

Last edited:
Y

With the camera sticking out front so far, I'm wondering how balanced the craft is. The camera/gimbal assembly seems a bit awkward dangling out front, based on the video reviews I've seen. Nobody has questioned the balance of the craft, nor commented on it. Sure seems like those front motors are going to work a lot more than the rear motors.

I've never held the Karma, but I would guess that since the battery is smaller in length than the Karma, it provides the balanced weight ratio in the mid to rear, while the Karma Grip & camera balance out the front. This then leads to the question... would the Karma even fly if no grip or camera were attached (would the software not let you take off due to a weight balance issue).

Reactions: Topher
After todays announcement of the DJI Inspire 2 and the Phantom 4 Pro, the GoPro Karma looks as if it were developed by the cavemen. I'm pretty certain at this point that GoPro is looking at DJI and thinking... "why even bother putting out a drone".

I cancelled by GoPro Karma order with B&H.

Yeah I am sure they will still release the Karma but unfortunately they have lost customers this round due to the way everything turned out. I was still ready to go with the Karma up until the recall. Not that the recall scared me away but that it allowed me more time to asses and was another variable to consider. Pushing back the release even further etc. I really do look forward to perhaps the v2.0 but as of now the drone is just lacking. I hope they are able to stick it out and get to that point as I will be on board with a GoPro inspired drone that is capable or delivering what is needed in todays market demand.

And to address my comment on the drone holding its value... I did mention that I hoped it held it "ok". I am not dillusional to how fast paced the drone market is but I do still see others selling for good prices on local kijiji markets. Even if I was able to recoup half within the first 18 months then I would be happy... If not I would still have a Mavic which is very capable:) And just buy another haha

I don't know if we are comparing apples here.
Karma is still the only drone carrying a hero5 in a compact format.
Karma is still the only drone that comes with a detachable gimbal.
Range, speed, avoidance, follow me, battery life aren't important to me personally, and therefore Karma is better for my uses than any DJI drone on the market.

After todays announcement of the DJI Inspire 2 and the Phantom 4 Pro, the GoPro Karma looks as if it were developed by the cavemen. I'm pretty certain at this point that GoPro is looking at DJI and thinking... "why even bother putting out a drone".

Really? The comparable Phantom 4 Pro is the one that comes with a screen in the controller, that's $1800. If you want a handheld stabilizer for ground shots that's another $570 for osmo. Would you really pay $1270 more than the Karma to have collision sensors and follow me?

Reactions: Topher
Karma is still the only drone carrying a hero5 in a compact format.
Airdog carries a gopro and it is more compact than the Karma

Karma is still the only drone that comes with a detachable gimbal.
Removable gimbal was first done by the Inspire 1 followed by Yuneec Q500.

I don't know if we are comparing apples here.
Range, speed, avoidance, follow me, battery life aren't important to me personally, and therefore Karma is better for my uses than any DJI drone on the market.
That sounds familiar. If you don't need those features, Please take a look at the Phantom 1 which was released back in 2013.

Really? The comparable Phantom 4 Pro is the one that comes with a screen in the controller, that's $1800. If you want a handheld stabilizer for ground shots that's another $570 for osmo. Would you really pay $1270 more than the Karma to have collision sensors and follow me?

You're not paying extra for those, you're paying for the 1" sensor on the camera. Before it, the only way you can have a 1" camera sensor up in the air is by attaching a Sony RX100 on a drone.

You are proving my point - I want hero5 AND detachable gimbal in one complete package, from a company I personally think will continue to support the product. I am coming from Solo and know what features I need. Karma is cheaper than putting together all the equipment seperately, and will actually pack smaller than assembling separate components from multiple manufacturers.

Well I have recieved my Mavic and all I can say is wow! What an amazing piece of equipment. In a way glad I ended up with this over the Karma but am already missing a handheld gimbal:( But I know the drone end of it definately is much better so :)

Well I have recieved my Mavic and all I can say is wow! What an amazing piece of equipment. In a way glad I ended up with this over the Karma but am already missing a handheld gimbal:( But I know the drone end of it definately is much better so :)
I am looking at the Osmo Mobile for a handheld. It has a lot of features!

Has anyone heard if there will be an affordable option for Karma for folks that have already bought a 5 and a handle? I know there wasn't before the fiasco (That's why I Was waiting to buy it all together.) but now that all of this has happened, it only seems logical there should be a Karma component for those who may have already acquired the other components.

I want a handle, but I refuse to pay for two of them because I don't need two.

Yeah I ordered the GoPro Grip. Since I already have the Hero5 I figured it only made sense:)

I love my Osmo but see my post above. I'm kind of where you were. I don't NEED it. I WANT it, but I want a Karma too.

It sure appears Karma is history. I've heard no update on the re-release of Karma. It's been very quiet. Has anyone heard an update?

It sure appears Karma is history. I've heard no update on the re-release of Karma. It's been very quiet. Has anyone heard an update?

30-60 days, even/especially in this industry, in not very long in a product's life-cycle. Go-Pro committed to this space quite a while ago and made a big splash and a big deal out of getting in it. It will shock me if they don't re-appear, and shortly, with a model that works reliably. They almost have to just to save face at this point. Whether there will ever be a newer model may be an entirely different story.

It seems you guys see this long (It's actually not been that long at all. It just seems like it.) delay as a negative. I see it as just the opposite. I think they found what it is and have already fixed it and have put or are putting it into production and we'll see something shortly. I would have been much more worried about a 2 week pull and then right back on the streets than I am about the way it appears to be going down to me.

Reactions: erikgraham

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS