Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Ok My Karma hates water

OK, enough biting my tongue. Until dronelover came along I doubt anyone ever heard of USB connectors wearing out or current leaking and ruining capacitors being a problem. Both are very highly improbable if not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL I was waiting for this. Very true.

Reactions: XerxesZ
LOL I was waiting for this. Very true.
Thanks everyone for all the support. I will probably keep everything and make collection of spares as looks like main components will become harder to get..
I have gone deep into each component and become very familiar with the many components.
Main motherboard and so on.at least now I have spares and will keep buying any non water crashed ones when I can.
Rory

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironspear
Thanks for taking the time. I never said i had anything to prove that i was right. Just my common sense.

that 10,000 cycles can not always be true.
Take any phone with a usb c port. Connect/disconnect that multiply times. Tell me what happens?
The connection wont be solid anymore right? Even with a new cable, the connection looses with just one single wobble.

its it thesame here with karma? If it isnt the ports itself then it must be the pins that Solders into the PCB circuitry.

if it still is not the problem then tell us please, why does the gimbal and or the drone itself suffer a sudden death after a long period of storage.
and if the ports are so reliable, how come users experience of the gimbal/drone not recognizing one another because user transfers the gimbal from drone to handheld use too many times.
Im only helping out others because this seems to be a common occurance.
And for people that are out of warranty, thats it. You have a very expensive door stop

Last edited:
OK, enough biting my tongue. Until dronelover came along I doubt anyone ever heard of USB connectors wearing out or current leaking and ruining capacitors being a problem. Both are very highly improbable if not impossible. I am only an EE but I did look up articles on USB C and found what the usage cycle is as pasted below. Mostly what we see on this forum are failures because people complaining and looking for solutions, people don’t generally talk about success . That implies many,many thousands more had no issues caused by dronelovers factors and in fact dronelover is first I have ever heard stating these “facts”. Birth of another urban legend.

“The new connector is also physically quite small, measuring 8.4 mm wide by 2.6 mm high, making it a fine size for any device, be it a laptop, a slim 2-in-1 or a thin smartphone. Obviously, the existing USB Type-A connector is a bit too large to be elegantly used in many of today's svelte devices, but the smaller micro AB connector is potentially too flimsy. The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) believes that the Type-C connector solves both problems, and the connector's 10,000-cycle durability will be sufficiently robust to handle the rigors of use in our mobile computing lives.”

Want more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah well its a good legend huh haha

Yeah well its a good legend huh haha

Well I do know that usb port can give a heep of issues preventative measures are always good to practice .

The one weakness with the gopro gimbal is that when the camera is attached it not at all water proof as the port door is open so I if you were caught out in a sudden rain shower or you like me it gets wet in the sea it pretty much wrecks everything.
I would love to be able to solve this as well as loosing my drone the camera was lost too saved the sd card thankfully which was something but really camera beyond use and drone mostly too rotor motor appear all ok,it was it the sea for less than 5 mins over all and was washed and isobrohol soak cleaned and washed.within a very short time.

Ok here's one for you all,any ideas what the sd port on the side of the motherboard is for or could be used to do?
R

Attachments

• 20200516_111201.jpg
    20200516_111201.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 3
Exacty. A little precaution doesnt hurt.
Wether my advice is true or not what harm could it really do if it means that you get to enjoy your toy for years to come?

hmm i wonder how the engineering department solves software issue on these karma drone if it doesnt even have a usb port and if the drone cannot connect to controller.
Could this tiny sd card port is where theyll use to force some sort of firmware?

Yes but the hardware is designed to be interchanged. Not "Leave the gimbal in the karma ALL the time". It is a bit misinformative to tell everyone to do this. I have many and have had many USB c devices and have never had an issue with the port/plug. Maybe I am lucky, I think not though. I actually had more issues with the mini USB connections of previous generations of devices. I haven't read here that anyone has had USB c issues after long term storage. Maybe a bit less myth spreading is needed here.

Have fun.

Yes but the hardware is designed to be interchanged. Not "Leave the gimbal in the karma ALL the time". It is a bit misinformative to tell everyone to do this. I have many and have had many USB c devices and have never had an issue with the port/plug. Maybe I am lucky, I think not though. I actually had more issues with the mini USB connections of previous generations of devices. I haven't read here that anyone has had USB c issues after long term storage. Maybe a bit less myth spreading is needed here.

Have fun.

Well i know that the physical usb port will not get destroyed by the batteries under storage. Its physically and logical cannot get harm. BUT the taking in/out the gimbal physically WILL defenitely loosen the connection of the physical usb ports.
Same also, understorage the ports will not get spoiled. How come? Its impossible but the electronics/circuitry/motherboard will defenitely get leakage current/voltage leak from extended periods of time.

its my theory. Im only following the previous owner why its still alive for three years.

same as the reason why other devices, if you read the manual, it states to remove the battery if not used for long periods of time.
What happens then if you dont? Well youll notice the battery starts to have corrossion.

ill stop with my bad advice. Ill never tell again about this.
Your toys are not mine.
Good day.

I am yet to own any device with batteries that does not say to remove the batteries if the device is not going to be used for a long time. The reason is all about the batteries and what they may do chemically. Car on and alkaline batteries often leak if left sitting a long time. It has nothing to do with current flow into the device. The batteries in the Karma are a type of Lipo that are fairly stable. Lipo batteries can age and swell but the Karma battery case seems to help with that issue. Also lipo batteries do not leak like conventional batteries. In very bad shape they can leak, but is not the same. I try to keep mine about half charged but have bought new ones that arrive deader than a door nail and recharge. There is nothing wrong with removing the batteries and it is recommended but leaving them in does not cause electrical failures due to current flow.

If you have true corrosion on your karma battery contacts I would wonder about where they are being stored or what you are getting on them in the field. The contacts are not gold plated or anything, but I have not heard of many issues and have had none myself. You might want to wipe them with something like Fluid Film Spray FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication or WD40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am yet to own any device with batteries that does not say to remove the batteries if the device is not going to be used for a long time. The reason is all about the batteries and what they may do chemically. Car on and alkaline batteries often leak if left sitting a long time. It has nothing to do with current flow into the device. The batteries in the Karma are a type of Lipo that are fairly stable. Lipo batteries can age and swell but the Karma battery case seems to help with that issue. Also lipo batteries do not leak like conventional batteries. In very bad shape they can leak, but is not the same. I try to keep mine about half charged but have bought new ones that arrive deader than a door nail and recharge. There is nothing wrong with removing the batteries and it is recommended but leaving them in does not cause electrical failures due to current flow.

If you have true corrosion on your karma battery contacts I would wonder about where they are being stored or what you are getting on them in the field. The contacts are not gold plated or anything, but I have not heard of many issues and have had none myself. You might want to wipe them with something like Fluid Film Spray FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication or WD40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ill take the safe way.
We all know karma is dead. Its discontinued. Parts are scares. New karma cost like a dji fly more combo.

i know users would disagree with me about not taking off the gimbal. But i only wanted for other people to not have a chance of failures of their drone.
they will enjoy their 4 year old drone more years to come.
Karma’s usb connection was not the best in reliablity in design.
the concept was/is good but choosing to use a small connection like a usb type with a heavy gimbal and a heav for its size camera its just a failure waiting to come.

like dji mavics. The ribbon cable is clipped on internally yet it manages to fail?
How much of a chance of a failure does the gimbal on the karma if the user keeps on connecting in/out of that gimbal with a tiny usb port?

Check out feiyutech A2000 gimbal. Its design to be coonect/ disconnect.
if only they used a miniature connection like that it would defenitely be good reliability for the karma. Then taking in/out the gimbal would be nice.

Sorry for long post.

im making a deal on a second karma grip and a hero 5 black soon.

that way ill never have to disconnect the first gimbal from the drone.

Reactions: Ironspear
Great you sorting another grip and Hero 5 I bought a refurbished one on eBay in the end as they were going crazy pricewise.still await delivery but should be here this week.
Great to know I am not the only karma diehard around ?

Hi everyone just an update so got camera H5 black refurbished one , excellent connected all up updated .now shows a stabilizer fault so stabilizer error comes up so have issue there not unexpected but but was hoping I would not have issues all works can view camera through controller but no flight possible due to stabilizer error.
seems they are impossible to get alone which mad.I have contact Gopro asking as much and do need the grip part.

any Idea welcome but getting to pulling the stailzer apart now and seeing what I can discover there.

Rory

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS