Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

NO GPS

Yep, downloaded & updated... However, you go first...... No, seriously, I'm on crutches & cant get out so I won't be in the driving seat for a while. Waiting to see how others fair with the updated firmware....

Hey Dominic, sorry to he you are banged up. I hope you feel better soon. During your downtime, I hope you get in some good reading and research regarding the latest release. I will stay grounded until I see a pattern of successful flights from other pilots. I'm doing my research as well. Does anyone know of a good Karma training video or articles that I can review. I want to make sure I understand all of the safety features...how to manage them and how to fly without GPS. I'm so freak'n nerves to encounter another fly-away incident and not able to keep my nerv and not panic.

Reactions: Dominic Liam
Hey Dominic, sorry to he you are banged up. I hope you feel better soon. During your downtime, I hope you get in some good reading and research regarding the latest release. I will stay grounded until I see a pattern of successful flights from other pilots. I'm doing my research as well. Does anyone know of a good Karma training video or articles that I can review. I want to make sure I understand all of the safety features...how to manage them and how to fly without GPS. I'm so freak'n nerves to encounter another fly-away incident and not able to keep my nerv and not panic.

There is an iOS app called drone on my phone. It's flying without gps or any feature. Very sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

was very overcast and the new 2.0 firmware had been installed. Took this up to 1000 feet and about 2800 feet away from controller with very little break up on screen, never lost contact. next time will do in better weather with the GPS going.Seems to be working like it did before the 1.51 update, fingers crossed

yep the new auto shots are good and will come in handy, looks to be a few extra minutes flight time, my batteries consistently state 20 mins flight time. The two RTH or land indicators on the battery level icon are a nice upgrade and change depending on the distance from the controller you are flying at. All in all a great update.

Reactions: CRXPanda
I would suggest that the only way to build confidence and skills are to get out there and fly it, a shame to spend that much money and not attempt to fly. Have a go and if you cant get comfortable with it, move to another platform, Lily Drone is looking good for just simple flights with fairly good video, more a release and forget type drone, none of the flying complications that the more upmarket drone, Karma and Mavic have.
Just out of interest, had another 6 flights this week after the update, mainly using the the auto flight paths and the karma worked a treat, i'd go for it.

Reactions: JCLs
After my first update the phone option did not work. Video or bulk photos worked. Got the second up date and went out today and the drone lights up the controller comes on and tells me no gps. touch here. I do that and get ready to launch and it counts down and nothing happens. It tells me to hard boot but I can not find out how to hard boot it anywhere. It sounds like from here it is the second update that is messed up. I think I will see if they will take my stuff back and I will get a DJI
Was wondering if they took care of issue because I have the same error message saying unable to take off. Try rebooting and contact customer service. This is a software issue. I was wondering if they ever gave you back your money.

Got all the updates and still loses GPS... Sad

After my first update the phone option did not work. Video or bulk photos worked. Got the second up date and went out today and the drone lights up the controller comes on and tells me no gps. touch here. I do that and get ready to launch and it counts down and nothing happens. It tells me to hard boot but I can not find out how to hard boot it anywhere. It sounds like from here it is the second update that is messed up. I think I will see if they will take my stuff back and I will get a DJI

Hi - was wondering if you had any updates? I’m experiencing the same exact issue and GoPro doesn’t know how to resolve it. My drone is controller has the error “unable to takeoff”.

Something tells me that this Drones are assembled and flashed by different teams in different locations, that’s the only reason I can find for such discrepancies and different users, GoPro really went wrong on this product and to worse it is just an expensive product.

What surprises me the most is the silence at GoPro, well I do understand, after the flaw on he first launch.

In the positive side I must say the customer service at GoPro were fantastic with me and in replacing everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just happened to me with lost GPS and like everyone else mine just straight up flew away. I was so pissed but after about 2 mins I got GPS back and was able to get it to come home. Lost GPS 2 more times before being able to crash land it nearby. Thought it might be something I did but checked and rechecked and I did everything right. Now reading this I realize its a problem that needs to be fixed by GoPro. Imagine had this flown into a restricted fly zone and done some real damage... Get it together with the software updates GoPro or there could be much bigger problems. Just glad I got it home safely.

You didn't do anything wrong. Just were not properly prepared for losing GPS mid flight and in turn lost control. Flying without GPS is completely different and VERY difficult. It is easy to learn if you can learn it but thats the problem with Karma, you can not turn off GPS to practice flying it without GPS. GoPro will replace any broken parts caused by GPS loss however.

Something tells me that this Drones are assembled and flashed by different teams in different locations, that’s the only reason I can find for such discrepancies and different users, GoPro really went wrong on this product and to worse it is just an expensive product.

What surprises me the most is the silence at GoPro, well I do understand, after the flaw on he first launch.

In the positive side I must say the customer service at GoPro were fantastic with me and in replacing everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drone is a solid product at a solid price with amazing value. We are a few bad experiences out of hundreds of thousands of customers. That being said Go Pro killed themselves but not providing better safety features built into the drone.

View attachment 80 View attachment 81 View attachment 82 View attachment 83 View attachment 84

Nine weeks to the day when my out of control fly-away happened over the beautiful shores of Maui, eight voice calls adding up to 13 hours of my valuable time, 18 emails of which most were never replied back to and three times my case was closed without any reason...persistence paid off...my replacement Karma, gymble, battery and Hero finally arrived today! It is the most melon-collie feeling. I'm so relieved this nightmare is finally over...or is it? Now I'm freaking nerves as hell to even fly this thing again. I guess I will have to take baby steps, continue to do my research, and build up to my first flight. I'm seriously considering getting the GoPro care package first. Anyone have issues getting GoPro making good on replacement while under the Care package?

I just want to thank everyone in this forum for all your support, expert insight and patience during some of my rants. I will continue to share my experiences...hopefully good ones...as I continue growing my wings.

Super happy to see you got the new drone! Hope to see your results soon :)

Flying without GPS is completely different and VERY difficult. It is easy to learn if you can learn it but thats the problem with Karma, you can not turn off GPS to practice flying it without GPS. .

There are a lot of cheap little quads out there with no GPS. Several Chinese sources, Horizon Hobby, etc. It is really worth getting one and learning how to fly. From reading a lot of comments etc.and having built and flown helicopters and quads for a long time and now having a Karma in my fleet, I am convinced many here go buy a Karma and it is so simple they start flying without understanding all defaults and limitations and they cannot Fly wo GPS. They all blame GoPro though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Billybob
There are a lot of cheap little quads out there with no GPS. Several Chinese sources, Horizon Hobby, etc. It is really worth getting one and learning how to fly. From reading a lot of comments etc.and having built and flown helicopters and quads for a long time and now having a Karma in my fleet, I am convinced many here go buy a Karma and it is so simple they start flying without understanding all defaults and limitations and they cannot Fly wo GPS. They all blame GoPro though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
%100 agree

Super happy to see you got the new drone! Hope to see your results soon :)
Thank you Jake. Honestly, I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to mess with it. Been waiting to see the responses of others flying under 2.x. From what I've seen on these forums, it's looking to be much more stable. I'm getting the nerve to get back in the air. Do you know much about the RTH features and how to handle yourself when in flight that pops up on the screen? I know there are two types of Return To Home options... One is where you took off which I believe is "Land in Position" and the other is land in current location...which I believe is where you walked to during flight. I get so damn freaked out when that pops up on my screen. Just want to get more comfortable with those features before I take off again. Thanks.

For anyone experiencing issues here is a great video.
That's insane! That dude violated so many flight rules. Surprised the guy who caught the drone didn't get hurt. Dancing around! crazy!

Thank you Jake. Honestly, I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to mess with it. Been waiting to see the responses of others flying under 2.x. From what I've seen on these forums, it's looking to be much more stable. I'm getting the nerve to get back in the air. Do you know much about the RTH features and how to handle yourself when in flight that pops up on the screen? I know there are two types of Return To Home options... One is where you took off which I believe is "Land in Position" and the other is land in current location...which I believe is where you walked to during flight. I get so damn freaked out when that pops up on my screen. Just want to get more comfortable with those features before I take off again. Thanks.

From what I understand the return to home would be the option you want to press however I fail to see how it understands where home is when GPS is lost. Also the landing in place seems to be inaccurate as it does not know where the ground is (within reason). I have found that calibrating the compass before EVERY flight ensures a safe flight. So far I have had great luck with it since the first crash and I have followed more basic guidelines. Never fly near metal objects never fly out of line of sight, never fly over water, never fly over a cliff etc. Also calibrate the compass before every flight and i fly the drone low and slow throughout the whole area I plan to fly and watch the GPS meter ensuring it shows strong connection then I have at it. I think calibrating the compass has been a huge game changer as it at least understands where the ground is when doing so. Also use an app now to check conditions before every flight. Put this video together, hope it helps!

Awesome Christmas. I purchased this for my husband and used our Hero 5 that we had purchased back in May for a trip to Mexico. Overall, I'm into this $1300. On the third flight, the display shows a message that it has lost the GPS connection and the Karma takes off at a rapid speed out of sight never to be seen again. Needless to say, I'm am not happy and feel totally ripped off. Had I known these issues I would have purchased a different device. Does anyone know if there is anything that GoPro will do? It seems to me that this is something that needs to be rectified through a Consumer Protection lawsuit. Why would any retailer sell a device with known issues such as this? Do I need to address this with Best Buy? Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raith11458