Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

New Karma drone, won't initialise

New stabiliser arrived and it's now all working. Essentially, everything from the initial delivery was faulty, excluding the controller. So instead of just swapping the unit out, I had to swap each part individually over a 4 week period.

New stabilizer arrived and it's now all working. Essentially, everything from the initial delivery was faulty, excluding the controller. So instead of just swapping the unit out, I had to swap each part individually over a 4 week period.
Glad it all works now, but sorry you had to go through all that piece by piece...

I have exactly the same symptoms... i.e. Stabilizer does not respond when I turn on drone, and I can't turn off the drone without pulling the battery... Also, the stabilizer works fine in the Karma Grip.

I'm keen to know if it it's just the harness that is faulty or is it the core or the stabilizer itself ?

@andyg8 I have the exact same symptoms as well and can confirm that after buying a brand new harness from Gopro it does NOT fix the issue. It's extremely frustrating. Let me know if you've had any success.

Mine has just done the same , button powers up , but no initialisation , no link to controller , tried rebind but no drone found. also have to pull battery to turn off power , it has been a while since flown , but was working
perfect last time , what the F* is wrong with so many going down with the same disease !

rant over , anyone found a workable solution ? many thanks (out of guarantee so no use sending back)

My husband and I are having the same problem: the stabilizer doesn't always turn on when turning on the Karma drone, and if it doesn't, we have to pull the battery to power the drone down. It works in the grip. BTW, our previous Karma fell out of the air for no reason because it suddenly lost power and one of the arms snapped off, but Karma replaced it with a refurbished drone. We haven't flown itty in a while, but it flew fine the last time. No falls or anything, so what is the deal? Guess will contact GoPto and see about getting a new harness...

Same issue. I had not flown in a long time and then the GPS issue came along. I recharged everything, downloaded the update into the controller, updated the Hero 5 I use on the Karma and then powered up the Karma and stabilizer never initialized. Tried everything I knew like unpairing, resetting etc, all with no luck.. called support and got somebody helpful. I did not know you can initialize the karma without the stabilizer installed. Was told to try. Took stabilizer out and Karma initialized. Installed the update. (It took long time processing, then said installation failed but on restarting found it installed properly). Put arm in and at first all looked fine then the arm went limp and controller said Karma not connected. Unplugged battery to shut down. Repaired, which takes time, and everything seemed fine. Normal shut down and tried restart and no stabilizer. Unplugged battery and repaired again. All ok.

GoPro told me to send the stabilizer back to them (sent me an RMA and UPS return) and now I am waiting on new stabilizer. What I see above says that is not the answer but we shall see. I have never crashed my Karma and never had any issues. Yes I have lost GPS a couple times flying in the city -just to get relatively close pictures - but I fly other quads and can handle that. As engineer can’t see how sitting in the case can cause a software problem, but can see how a component may fail at any time (not sitting but when powering up or even shutting down) so hope stabilizer fixes. Not sure I want to fly with it acting weird even though I seem to have figured out a way to get it to work. May help somebody else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: G&S
Good info. We'll try installing the update on the drone without the stabilizer, but it sure sounds like the stabilizer is the problem based on everyone's problems mentioned here. We unpaired the two, but never got them paired again because the stabilizer wouldn't work. I'm going to try doing it without the stabilizer to see if they can pair again, but the stabilizer will still be an issue.

You may have to try getting stabilizer to work a couple time (unpairing-pairing) but I did get mine to function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: G&S
UPDATE. New stabilizer actually performed worse than my old one in that no matter what I tried I could not get it to activate or the Karma to pair etc. Finally had chance to call in again to GoPro and I returned the core (the quad itself) and they are sending me a new one. Impressed with GoPro, will advise what happens. Right now failure of Karma to fully boot up seems a Karma issue, not a stabilizer issue.

UPDATE

I received the new core and got chance to take it to the field finally today. I had already powered up and updated the firmware and paired it to the controller with no issues. Went through calibration at our flying field west of Houston ( Fort Bend Helis Fort Bend Helis ) Ran through all calibrations and took off flying. Well, almost. The Karma would not take off after starting props and tapping as told, you need to pretty aggressively use throttle to punch it and take off. Everything else seemed fine.

Technically I did not have rights to a new Karma but GoPro backed me through whole process
c2b27e5e7b70652b40629f33bf178a54.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS