Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Lost GPS signal on my Karma

McToddy, did you finally get an answer? I have been reading your posts on this thread and I am anxious to find out what happened. Did a supervisor finally call you?
search toddy's posts. he did get a replacement, I can't search right now for you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rickc77
he is busy. I have been talking to him off the forum.

Walked away from the drone and "maximum distance reached" alerted at 86 feet, then I continued to walk until 110' was on the screen. I stood there waiting for any return to home or landing notification to happen--it did not. I walked back, the maximum distance warning finally went away at 66 feet. The drone continued to spin its motors.

Interesting tests. I wonder if the reason it didn't bother "returning to home" is because, as far as it was concerned, it already was home? Remember, home as far as it is concerned is it's launch location, not the location of the controller. If it loses connection with the controller, it has no clue where it is, so it's only option is to try to return to the launch site. Yours never left the "launch" site, so it has nowhere to go. I'd still expect to it try and "land" and shutdown the props though.

Maybe for your next test, try standing still and having someone walk the drone away from you instead.

Reactions: CRXPanda
Interesting tests. I wonder if the reason it didn't bother "returning to home" is because, as far as it was concerned, it already was home? Remember, home as far as it is concerned is it's launch location, not the location of the controller. If it loses connection with the controller, it has no clue where it is, so it's only option is to try to return to the launch site. Yours never left the "launch" site, so it has nowhere to go. I'd still expect to it try and "land" and shutdown the props though.

Maybe for your next test, try standing still and having someone walk the drone away from you instead.
Yes that would be one of my tests.
Another test will be to use the Karma without props as a payload on another drone (an rf drone I have), just to see what the controller shows. Also to see if it returns to China, shuts down, or just acts the fool.

Hey guys, just another rotten egg of a drone... mind you this is the second drone that went MIA after flying over “interfering obstacles” as if the drone wasn’t built to do this. I was trying to collect footage for the football game from the front stoop of my house. Launching the drone it was propelling fine and dandy. As I reached out to 1000 meters or so I begin to find a weak signal however I’ve flown this area numerous times without any chance of it going haywire.. of course luck strikes and it begins to unfold. “GPS signal is lost, landing in place” is what the remote pronounced as I watch the drone gain speed in a northern direction from my house.. immediately I take off barefoot through yards and over fences chasing the inevitable and once I recognize that the GPS signal that it took me to was complete bogus I had figured out that I would no longer see this piece of equipment again. Recently I have dealt with GoPro customer service and have been red in the face speaking with numerous agents, team leaders, etc with a beginning offer of just a replacement stabilizer, harness, and 40% off a new hero 5... furious as I was i redial the customer service and give them a piece of my mind about how this is completely unacceptable and that I demand a MUCH better offer. Now they have reconvened and decided to work up deal number 2: go pro core(drone w/o propellers, stabilizer, and battery, or camera) the harness and propellers with the same 40% off.. of course after reading all the success on this blog I have become enraged telling them how cheap and unethical this was and how every person I spoke to seemed to say that they “understand” but I don’t think they truett feel how much 1200$ is when you watch it fly off into the unknown. So I’m going to be speaking with them again but I will be posting frequently until I get better news otherwise it should be a lesson to many others to be persistent. They DID NOT want to replace anything at all in the beginning but the more I have pestered with them and begged and pleaded after letting them review all my data and an obvious purchase history the more they have came out with the resources they really can tap into.. anyways like a boomerang, I’ll be back.

Reactions: Bluebu88
Hey guys, just another rotten egg of a drone... mind you this is the second drone that went MIA after flying over “interfering obstacles” as if the drone wasn’t built to do this. I was trying to collect footage for the football game from the front stoop of my house. Launching the drone it was propelling fine and dandy. As I reached out to 1000 meters or so I begin to find a weak signal however I’ve flown this area numerous times without any chance of it going haywire.. of course luck strikes and it begins to unfold. “GPS signal is lost, landing in place” is what the remote pronounced as I watch the drone gain speed in a northern direction from my house.. immediately I take off barefoot through yards and over fences chasing the inevitable and once I recognize that the GPS signal that it took me to was complete bogus I had figured out that I would no longer see this piece of equipment again. Recently I have dealt with GoPro customer service and have been red in the face speaking with numerous agents, team leaders, etc with a beginning offer of just a replacement stabilizer, harness, and 40% off a new hero 5... furious as I was i redial the customer service and give them a piece of my mind about how this is completely unacceptable and that I demand a MUCH better offer. Now they have reconvened and decided to work up deal number 2: go pro core(drone w/o propellers, stabilizer, and battery, or camera) the harness and propellers with the same 40% off.. of course after reading all the success on this blog I have become enraged telling them how cheap and unethical this was and how every person I spoke to seemed to say that they “understand” but I don’t think they truett feel how much 1200$ is when you watch it fly off into the unknown. So I’m going to be speaking with them again but I will be posting frequently until I get better news otherwise it should be a lesson to many others to be persistent. They DID NOT want to replace anything at all in the beginning but the more I have pestered with them and begged and pleaded after letting them review all my data and an obvious purchase history the more they have came out with the resources they really can tap into.. anyways like a boomerang, I’ll be back.
So you received a warning of weak signal, you ignore the warning, you lost your drone. Your fault.

Well, in a way it is, but I can't understand "GPS loss" issues. If he's flying at the extreme end of the range, the worst that should happen is that the connection is lost and it initiates RTH.

All drones can and do lose GPS signal. There are many factors that play into this. Because losing GPS is always a possibility, keeping the drone within range and LOS is an important part of responsible flying. If you're getting low signal or pixilated video feedback you're taking a risk. If that risk results in the drone crashing or becoming lost, it's nobodies fault but your own. You're right, if the controller to drone connection is lost the RTH kicks in. However, if the GPS signal also drops, the drone is going to be taken by even a gentle breeze. Yes, it will try to initiate a landing in place, but not for a few minutes while it tries to reconnect.

IMO, there is no shot that is so important that you should be pushing the drone to it's limits. Those limits change daily based on environmental factors. Make the correct adjustments and limitations and you will be flying the same drone for years. Failing to do so limits the expected lifespan of the drone.

Reactions: deanrobi
Update on customer service: today I called them and after taking numerous screenshots of these same instances and sending them to the customer service email they have ordered a one time only drone package with 40% off of the camera. Clearly since all of these other cases had the outcome of a full replacement I refused and asked for another supervisor. Clearly these people gain something from this otherwise they could replace everything from the beginning, anyhow to clarify my GPS loss it wasn’t like I watched it fade out over a minute or two but this happened almost instantaneous and I had no recovery time to bring the drone out of what was signal malfunction. Those of you who have had this happen understand, others not so much. I have flown around numerous areas with weaker signal than that days flight but this was not an operation error by any means.
So moral of the story these drones are meant for very little reach unless you are risky enough to let it get out of site which I rarely ever do. But if it happens to you, be sure to be persistent with customer service as they will tell you false claims on how they “can’t reimburse or replace the drone” even when you send them valid data.

So you received a warning of weak signal, you ignore the warning, you lost your drone. Your fault.
Actually I received weak signal, then the screen messages lost connection almost immediately. In this instance it was telling the error message with no controller response and initiated a auto land and the drone was not auto landing at all as I could see it picking up speed.. not my fault I would say

Evening all,
just thought I would post my past months struggle with Go Pro and my issue of a lost drone. I too have had a similar issue with my drone as to what people have posted on here. Mine was being flown in the countryside of Cheshire, England when at about 80-100 ft away from me the drone lost GPS, this indicated on the screen, the screen then froze and it did a 180 turn and flew off in the opposite direction to the way I was flying it. I did everything I could to take control but with no response. No return to take off position or hover in place as the manual prescribes, just burning off over my head in a direction I was unable to see or do anything about. I contacted Go Pro and over a three week period of emails and phone calls we got to the point that they had received the logs and serial numbers and would investigate. Two days after I received the logs confirmation email, I received another email informing me that it would not be getting a replacement as I should have calibrated before each flight. I have now informed Go Pro that it does not say in any manual that you need to callibrate every flight or in any pre flight check. I have flown this drone for over six months with no issues and always acquire GPS before take off. I am now in the position of asking for it to be re-investigated and hoping someone on here can give me advice as to what to do next.
Thanks in advance
twd40

Evening all,
just thought I would post my past months struggle with Go Pro and my issue of a lost drone. I too have had a similar issue with my drone as to what people have posted on here. Mine was being flown in the countryside of Cheshire, England when at about 80-100 ft away from me the drone lost GPS, this indicated on the screen, the screen then froze and it did a 180 turn and flew off in the opposite direction to the way I was flying it. I did everything I could to take control but with no response. No return to take off position or hover in place as the manual prescribes, just burning off over my head in a direction I was unable to see or do anything about. I contacted Go Pro and over a three week period of emails and phone calls we got to the point that they had received the logs and serial numbers and would investigate. Two days after I received the logs confirmation email, I received another email informing me that it would not be getting a replacement as I should have calibrated before each flight. I have now informed Go Pro that it does not say in any manual that you need to callibrate every flight or in any pre flight check. I have flown this drone for over six months with no issues and always acquire GPS before take off. I am now in the position of asking for it to be re-investigated and hoping someone on here can give me advice as to what to do next.
Thanks in advance
twd40
Do NOT give up on this, ask for a supervisor or someone else because the first ones who answer are not the type to have any authority over your case nor can they supply the reimbursement of a drone you deserve. Send screen shots through email threads of the cases on here that show the same instances including mine and reply immediately with attitude. It’s taken me over three weeks to gain leverage but at the beginning they said, “sorry about your luck, I completely understand...” which for gods sake they have no clue how it feels to watch 1200$ fly off and never be seen again.

Do NOT give up on this, ask for a supervisor or someone else because the first ones who answer are not the type to have any authority over your case nor can they supply the reimbursement of a drone you deserve. Send screen shots through email threads of the cases on here that show the same instances including mine and reply immediately with attitude. It’s taken me over three weeks to gain leverage but at the beginning they said, “sorry about your luck, I completely understand...” which for gods sake they have no clue how it feels to watch 1200$ fly off and never be seen again.
And just to build on that note I went from having nothing replaced to the full drone and a 40% discount of a GoPro hero 5 that I am still upset with due to the fact that I shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for anything that happens out of my own control.

Thanks all for the response so far, I intend to keep emailing ringing and harassing them until I am satisfied.

Just had another email off a manager Paul D EMEA go pro keeps quoting it was my responsibility to calibrate in a new area so I'm not covered. Any advice would be gratefully received.
twd40

Evening all,
Thanks in advance
twd40

So if I can ask, whereabouts in Cheshire were you flying?

Just wondered if you were closer to Jodrell bank, that may have explained interference from the RT they have..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS