Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Losing GPS signal after recent update (Sept. 2017)

G2karma

Reaction score
Hello GoPro Pilots,
I am new to the forum, but have owned my karma for many months now, and have flown it about 40 times.
I also own a DJI standard3 and have NEVER had an issue with it, with over 100 flights.
I prefer to use my Karma because the camera(still photos) are better.
Never had a problem with my Karma, until now.
After the recent update a few weeks ago, it constantly loses GPS signal. And so far I've stayed calm, and have been able to manually return it back home.
Because I do not want to lose it, I'm just flying it directly over my head and only about 50 feet high now.
I saw several posts about losing GPS signal with other people.
So my question is this:
Does anyone out there know if this is due to the recent update? and (if so) does GoPro know about this?
I wish I never updated it, but thought it was the right thing to do at the time, and have always updated when an update was available.
It is silly to own such a great product and not use it, and it would be heartbreaking to use it, and lose it.
I have decided to "park it" and not use it again until I feel it is relatively safe to fly again. I am losing faith in GoPro, and do not think they will own up to a potential problem due to liability.
So I am reaching out to you, the GoPro Karma pilots for some advise.
Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.
Thank You,
G2karma

I'm going to Australia next week (from France) and i'm scared to bring it with me and loosing it cause of all I read here :/
I never had a problem with my Karma and updated it when it was available like you. And now... I'm not confident to make it fly :(

Hello GoPro Pilots,
I am new to the forum, but have owned my karma for many months now, and have flown it about 40 times.
I also own a DJI standard3 and have NEVER had an issue with it, with over 100 flights.
After the recent update a few weeks ago, it constantly loses GPS signal. And so far I've stayed calm, and have been able to manually return it back home.
Because I do not want to lose it, I'm just flying it directly over my head and only about 50 feet high now.
So my question is this:
Does anyone out there know if this is due to the recent update? and (if so) does GoPro know about this?
I wish I never updated it, but thought it was the right thing to do at the time, and have always updated when an update was available.
It is silly to own such a great product and not use it, and it would be heartbreaking to use it, and lose it.
I have decided to "park it" and not use it again until I feel it is relatively safe to fly again. I am losing faith in GoPro, and do not think they will own up to a potential problem due to liability.
Thank You,
G2karma
Yes, mines parked also. I lost GPS & then the drone took off without consent ! I did retrieve it out of a bush with just 4 broken props... These days F/Unortunately I'm on crutches due to a work accident, so I couldn't fly it if I wanted to. GoPro know about the Karma GPS issues people are having & my thought is they can't do anything about it or they would have by now.... Real shame & quite useless....

Reactions: CRXPanda
Yea I parked mine about a month ago and bought a Mavic. Too many close calls and if nothing else, I didn't want to lose my Go Pro Hero 5. What upsets me most about all this is if you look at the Parrot Bebop, a $600 package with fpv goggles, 2 batteries, Glonass GPS, multiple altitude sensors, follow me, active visual tracking, decent range, a 30 minute flight time, etc. Why couldn't Go Pro get any of that in our drone for $1100? Btw I have the old Bebop and understand that the camera on the Karma is WAY better.

woooo liken you guys same here parked mine as well. I panic everytime I try to fly it mine also took off by it self from take off after starting it. Luckily I grabbed it just ripped my arm up some but I got it
. Had it parked since August have some free time so I'm gonna give it a whirl tomorrow again ill let you guys know what goes down. Keep ya posted!!

woooo liken you guys same here parked mine as well. I panic everytime I try to fly it mine also took off by it self from take off after starting it. Luckily I grabbed it just ripped my arm up some but I got it
. Had it parked since August have some free time so I'm gonna give it a whirl tomorrow again ill let you guys know what goes down. Keep ya posted!!
when you fly do you let it take off automatically or do you manually take off with the joysticks?

Tie a kite string to it with a non metallic weight to keep the string vertical, it will save your arms next time you need to grab it.

look up tethering drone for testing

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

when you fly do you let it take off automatically or do you manually take off with the joysticks?

Tie a kite string to it with a non metallic weight to keep the string vertical, it will save your arms next time you need to grab it.

Shoot, let it hit the ground! I had a drone crash into a river. A bystander asked if I was going to go get it... I'm like, dude I wouldn't jump in the river after you much less a stupid toy! Hahaha!

Reactions: hunter264
I'm going to Australia next week (from France) and i'm scared to bring it with me and loosing it cause of all I read here :/
I never had a problem with my Karma and updated it when it was available like you. And now... I'm not confident to make it fly :(
if you have had no problems with it to date, I would bring it and have a crack, acknowledging that there are way fewer karma users here in Australia, but loss of GPS does not seem to occur here as much as it does in the states, got no evidence to back that up or any reason why is could be different here.

thanks CRXpanda actually doing that this morning first. Last time I east expecting it to just launch that's why I grabbed it. When I take off I have never used the auto take off yet or care too. I'll see what goes down today. Thanks again !!

ok so tried it today same thing loss of signal . Get about waste high and lose it. Signal is green but for some reason during take off is when signal instantly goes red and lose it. Let along every place I go to fly this thing in in a restricted area?? I live in pa so even valley forge park is restricted. I am wondering if even over riding the restriction is still restricts me. Because before the update I had no problem flying even if zone was restricted and over rides it. Now if I over ride it, it cause instant signal loss. I'm going to go drive and see if I can find a non restricted zone and see if I have an issue.

so I drove around and finally got to Kansas I'm in a middel of a field and still have no signal? I'm going home!! I have had it!! Lol kidding. But still not flight can't get signal. Problem is here using WiFi big mistake in going and buying another drone that uses RF signal if any.

so I drove around and finally got to Kansas I'm in a middel of a field and still have no signal? I'm going home!! I have had it!! Lol kidding. But still not flight can't get signal. Problem is here using WiFi big mistake in going and buying another drone that uses RF signal if any.

Another case looking like an RNG fail in video games.
I can't wait until someone hacks into this garbage firmware and tells us wtf went wrong here.
Someone needs to make the proper firmware from the ground up, a way to wipe the crappy gopro stuff and load the good firmware.
People do that for the Playstation Vita!!!

We are giving up on you gopro!
Get ready for a class action!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dominic Liam
Rumors are GoPro will have a launch event this week. They say the karma Drone may get some changes via an update.... Some say they may even release karma 2...... I doubt the latter but it might explain giving up on this one !!!!!

I truly believe its an WiFi issue maybe the signal they use is not strong enough to transmit through all of the other waves around. Why not just use RF? Never had any signal issues with any of my helicopters or rc cars ever with transmission

who's ready!!! Ok so I call go pro start speaking to a women broken English. Respond very patiently explain my issues. Keeps talking about trouble shooting steps. I asked numerous times to speak to someone else she goes why sir. I said because I need someone that actually knows the operation of the product. I got so irritated I said why don't you tell the owner instead of worrying about sitting on shark tank to worry about why his product flopped. Hang up called backed two more time and finally got someone different the guy was already prepared for me. So heres the crazy part I have a crazy event to attend this weekend I been trying to get another drone all this time but being return policy would take to long I BUY ANOTHER ONE!!! I said to him I said if I buy another drone will it operate for me I need an honest answer because if not I will just go purchase another company. So he goes it will operate I said ok what software is on this model is it updated or new. I said after the update occurred is when everything hit the fan. Explained to him about loss of signal right off of take off, explained about how the stabilizer when I move it to the grip it acts cooky and camera and stabilizer twitches uncontrollably and have to stop it, total about how it want content calibration of everything numerous times. Told him how I am always in a restricted air space when I in the middle of a field no where near air ports and my maps show nothing of a no fly zone. Soooooo.... I bought another one through the actual site he said that was better for the return policy they started a claim form. I should have my new drone today I got overnight air. They want me to film the drone and what it does and will be going from there. The gentleman gave me his direct contact email and to deal with no one but him which is cool. So Ill see what goes down and keep you guys posted!!

Reactions: Dominic Liam
Bad news is, with this launch tomorrow there's going to be another update for the karma drone..... Let's see.....

*UPDATE* (on my condition)
Toady is 10/11/2017, and I just updated to the latest updates.
There was an update for all 4 things(Hero5, Karma stick, Drone, & Controller)
Did a quick 5 minute flight and all seems to be well again.
When I purchased my drone, I was not aware of how much the public hates them, LOL.
I have a little more understanding for the public's concern after the experiences I have had myself.
Hearing other people tell stories of drones flying off and things like that, I would usually think it was all pilot error.
I now understand how it can be a dangerous & costly piece of equipment, and I will keep that in mind, as time continues.
I will always fly responsibly.
It may take me a little while to get my confidence back to fly freely, but I'm happy everything is still in one piece and in my possession .
Thank you all for your feedback and that this forum exists.

Reactions: CRXPanda
Hello GoPro Pilots,
So my question is this:
Thank You,
G2karma

Hi G2Karma
I had problem with the loss of GPS signal before and after the update of v2.0

I have a conclusion, but I need to confirm still, I think that when I turn on the control and then the Karma Drone and it indicates signal problem with satellites (load up to 20% or 40%), I usually change the flight area (a few meters), I reconfigure the connection again, but later during the flight at some point the GPS signal is lost and the Karma Drone flies without control and does not obey the controls of the control.

Dear G2Karma, you did mention that in that case you can take the Manual Mode, how do you do? What are the steps you follow to bring back the Karma Drone Manually?. Please explain me the Manual Mode.

Regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS