Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Landing techniques...

GreenLander

Reaction score
Hello to all karma drone piiots.

Hoping some of you may be able to help. I have used return to home landings and forced a landing with the descend joystick held on to shut down props but...

...how can you shut down the props when you have grabbed the karma drone by the landing skids from a shoulder height hover due to unsuitable terrain?

i tend to have to fight the karma drone trying to right itself and it can be a long time till it shuts down.

Holding the descend joystick does not stop props nor does shutting done the karma controller.

any thoughts? a mid air grab is going to be a very useful landing option.

Ta. K.

When I catch it I hold down the left stick until the motors shut off. Typically about 2-3 seconds if I had to guess. I do try and hold the Karma as level as I can until the motors stop. Hope this helps, it's really easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key is to give enough resistance with the catching hand to let Karma know it's on a stable surface. If you try to pull the drone down or let the drone push your hand down, even a small amount, it's going to take longer for the drone to register landing and shut down the props.

Reactions: YVR
Try landing the Karma on the flat of your hand held well overhead, ideally with the camera facing away from you. Someone suggested that on the GoPro forum, and I pretty much do that every time now, keeping the drone and camera out of the dust, grit, grass, sand, water, etc it would encounter if I landed it on the ground. GoPro will tell you to never do this as they're perpetually in CYA mode, but I pretty much never do anything else. Just be SUPER careful of the propellers as they're bloody sharp (pun intended).

Hamish

Sorry, you have two pounds of razor blades that can take off a finger, landing it this way will at some point will prove just how bad of an idea it was; and likely the worst time while on vacation. Just do some YouTube searches and you might think twice.

Really, just knowing the safety aspect, I see no reason to do this. I do most of my flying in rugged areas where there is no truly flat areas like roads, fields, etc. It can be tough to find a place to launch, but these Karmas are better than the Mavic's or Phantom's in that regard since the camera is on the front rather than underneath, and with independent feet can handle a bit of a canted or imperfect surface. I purchased a portable launch pad that has very thick gauge wire and folds up. Having this allows me to create a level landing surface almost anywhere I go. It is quite rigid when open and may take a minute or so as to move rocks around in getting it level but works well. Beyond being in the backcountry, I also use the Karma on my boat which affords further challenges since the boat is always moving. For both, I have just practiced landing MANY MANY times, so I am very good now and can place it on a pie plate every time, even in wind. So, I recommend practicing, but also potentially getting a landing pad which is also good for dirt/sand. As I said, I am rarely in a public, or maintained area where you have the luxury of flat surfaces and have been surprised by this. I paid under $20 for a 30" landing pad on Amazon.

And like it or not, these Karma's are not as "stable" as the DJI, so where catching a Phantom is a bit less sketchy, with the Karma you have that extra drift to compensate for with your shaky hand is just inviting a hospital visit. I think the DJI guys like to exaggerate the stability issue in the Karma, but the reality is you don't see it in most aerial video and for me it is nonexistent. It looks cool though...

I know this isn't much help related to a handheld landings but as I transport everything with the Karma case, I lay that down and use it as a takeoff/landing pad every flight without a problem yet

This may not be so simple if you are low on battery and need a quick descent as it takes a bit of practise to land on a 1x1.5ft rectangle but it has at least kept it just that little bit further away from the sand and dirt on the ground and its useful on relatively uneven or rocky ground

(If you do try this on a beach make sure you close the zip on the case as I ended up blowing sand inside the case :p)

I know this isn't much help related to a handheld landings but as I transport everything with the Karma case, I lay that down and use it as a takeoff/landing pad every flight without a problem yet

This may not be so simple if you are low on battery and need a quick descent as it takes a bit of practise to land on a 1x1.5ft rectangle but it has at least kept it just that little bit further away from the sand and dirt on the ground and its useful on relatively uneven or rocky ground

(If you do try this on a beach make sure you close the zip on the case as I ended up blowing sand inside the case :p)
I was doing these too (before my Karma was KIA'd)

As any pilot will tell you, take off and flying is easy, it's the landing that does the damage! The best landing place is flat, level, cut grass but this isn't always possible. Launch of the KARMA is rarely a problem but I've got a method of 'hand landing' that works for me. This is can be dangerous so only try it if you're adult, confident and competent and do so at your own risk.

My hand landing technique so far –

/ Make sure there's enough battery.

/ Bring Karma to about 4' above ground.

/ camera facing away from you

/ check front green lights are on solid, not flashing so you are in control.

/ Make sure the KARMA is stable as you approach from the rear.

/ Hold controller in your left hand, thumb near left stick.

/ Bring your right hand up from below so fingers are underneath the battery slot and place thumb dead centre on the top.

/ Take a good grip, Karma will react a little when constrained, just like a good horse.

/ Hold it still and level

/ Use left thumb to push 'Down' on the stick and motors will slow and stop.

Phil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS