Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma Lost Camera Connection in Flight

tallen

Reaction score
This morning, I was flying my Karma about 1,500 feet out over a river and after about 10 minutes of flying over a small island in the river, I turned the drone back toward me. As it was flying back to me, the controller went black and said ‘lost camera connection’. Then it said, ‘returning to takeoff location’. Then it did a countdown and said it lost Karma connection. I lost sight of the drone when I was looking at the screen and am pretty sure it’s now at the bottom of the river. My question is, what is the drone’s behavior if it loses camera connection? Does it really attempt to return to the takeoff point, or is it a lost cause at that point? I am not sure what caused it to lose camera connection in flight and don’t know if there was anything I could have done to keep it from going down. Anyone had any experience with anything similar?

I could be wrong but I think Karma should fly back to the home position recorded at take off (the GPS system is in the actual aircraft, not the GoPro camera). It's possible it landed in place though. You should definitely open a ticket with GoPro and have them read the flight logs off the controller. This sounds like a defective unit to me.

FWIW, here's someone that was able to recover their Karma in a seemingly similar situation. This is a terrifying video lol

If your battery was to low it would just land, not return to its take off position.

I live in an area under high voltage cables, I tried to fly karma here but it was constantly losing the connection, I moved to a more open area and the problem has changed: it not loses the connection but the camera freezes continuously and from the monitor of the controller I don't know what I'm filming because it's all black.
Has someone my some problems?
Sorry for the bad english.

I live in an area under high voltage cables, I tried to fly karma here but it was constantly losing the connection, I moved to a more open area and the problem has changed: it not loses the connection but the camera freezes continuously and from the monitor of the controller I don't know what I'm filming because it's all black.
Has someone my some problems?
Sorry for the bad english.

I've had the monitor on the remote go black before. At one point, while messing around at home, I accidentally hit something on the touch screen that caused this to happen. I was able to figure out how to bring the monitor back on. Later, when flying this occurred, and I could not remember how to fix it. I landed the drone, reset everything and it worked fine.

Flying in different locations, I have had varying levels of success with the camera and connection. A few weeks ago, I was flying near some condos by a beach. I was on a cliff with a good overview of the flight area. For some reason, the controller had a much poorer connection than usual. I'm guessing it may have been due to signal interference from the nearby condos or the building near where I was standing. Later I moved farther out on the beach, and did not have further difficulties. The further into "nowhere" the better connection I have. If I'm in a populated area, or on a man-made object (Think concrete and rebar), I tend to get poorer connections.

You might want to contact Gopro Support and see if they can help you troubleshoot the issue. If you are having issues, even in underpopulated areas, it could be a hardware defect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS