Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma/Grip not recognizing camera

SurfDog

Reaction score
Website
www.pahouselink.com
Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Started a few weeks back where I'd insert the harness (camera) into the Grip, would power it up but it would not recognize the camera was installed. The stabilizer would work and I could start the Camera manually but not via the Grip.

Likewise, I'd insert the harness/camera into the Karma and the controller would say "Camera not recognized", the gimbal would work but not the camera and there was not way to bypass it.

(note: Karma, grip, camera are all up to date)

Hello, I experienced the same problem with my gopro hero 5 and karma drone. The drone cannot detect the camera and I don't know why. I tried connecting it with the grip and it works perfectly fine. Then, I tried another camera (my cousin's hero 5), and it works with the drone. :(

It kinda strange why it works with the grip but it won't work with the drone. Any help here? Thanks! :)

A lot of people have had the same problem, myself included (actually this morning). Try replacing the camera harness, that seems to be the culprit most of the time. I replaced it and it solved the problem. I bought my Karma off craigslist and he had a bunch of spare parts with the sale, good thing that was one of them.

Reactions: SurfDog
A lot of people have had the same problem, myself included (actually this morning). Try replacing the camera harness, that seems to be the culprit most of the time. I replaced it and it solved the problem. I bought my Karma off craigslist and he had a bunch of spare parts with the sale, good thing that was one of them.

Thanks CW!! Have been going back and forth with GoPro CS and they narrowed it down to the harness as well. Of course, they promised the replacement would be here today - AND it isn't!!!

And I can't seem to find anyone, at GP, who can get me a status!?!?

Good luck with GoPro care
Thanks CW!! Have been going back and forth with GoPro CS and they narrowed it down to the harness as well. Of course, they promised the replacement would be here today - AND it isn't!!!

Luck with GoPro

Good luck with GoPro care. Everything I've heard I would never want to deal with them. I realize a lot of people find drones to be expensive, myself included, but I can't deal with stupid. I've accepted the fact that it's a flawed platform to some degree and things are going to break. I just ordered a new harness to replace the one I just used and it was $29.99 through they're site, with two day shipping. I have neither the time nor the energy to fight them over it. I chalk it up as the cost of being a Karma owner. Good luck getting it back in the air, hope the harness works out for ya!

Believe it or not I've had semi-good luck with the GoPRo cares. They replace a few sets of props and did trouble shoot the harness issue and replaced it without conflict! (now actually getting the product in-hand, i.e. shipping issues has been a problem but hopefully they have that straight now!)

SurfDog that's great to hear. We've all heard the horror stories about GoPro care, maybe they're finally changing their business model. Good luck and happy flying, nothing worse than having our birds grounded.

It pays to invest in a copy of the Karma Handbook by Jordan Hetrick. 99.9% of your answers you will find in this well prepared book.

Good to hear that you have harness problem solved Surf Dog. Now here i something to try with the Karma Grip mounted on you car;

OK Surf Dog here is the result from the Karma Grip mounted on the car windscreen:

OK Surf Dog, using the Karma Grip hand held out of the window is not exactly prudent. First off, use a suction cup, and mount mount it high on the windscreen. OK you will get a portion of the car hood in the frame. I am using GoPro Studio and in editing you can use the zoom to go forward enough to take out the car hood. I left the hood in the demo to show the effect of the unit stability.

Hello All. I haven't been on the forum lately. Getting caught up on some of the topics. This one regarding loss of camera connection with the grip and/or drone. I had the same issue with my Hero4. GoPro said it was the harness and they did replace it. Sadly that was the start of the end for my Karma... See GPS Lost discussion. Never had the opportunity to test the replacement harness since the drone is sitting on the bottom of the Pacific ocean! GoPro did replace my Karma and Hero4 with a Hero5. I'm now just getting things setup and configured...as none of my Hero4 stuff is compatible with Hero5.

Okay, back to the topic. When I was experiencing the camera not connected issue, one thing I did that was successful was to buy a new SIMS card or use a reformatted SIMS card. By replacing the SIMS card in the camera that was having the connection issue with a clean SIMS card solved the problem every time. The connection was reestablished...both grip and Karma. This was all I could do while on vacation until I got home and could try the replacement harness. The challenge was that I didn't want to reformat the disk as I had not downloaded the video yet. So I had to keep buying new SIMS cards. Yes, a pricey fix but one that worked. I'm hoping my new Hero5 and new harness won't give me the same challenges as before. Will see...

Don't over fly your Karma Drone. Always make sure your battery is topped up before take off. Recharge battery first thing after flight. Second down load your video and re-format your card. If you plan a second shoot, then change your battery before take off. Like any good pilot, do a pre-flight check before take off.

Now look at my You Tube:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS