Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma Flight School: Karma vs. Swimming Pool

Shon

Reaction score
In this series of threads, I will be analyzing crash videos in an effort to learn more about the limitations of technology in the Karma Drone, and how to avoid such issues myself. Hopefully such analysis will help us all fly better and avoid potentially problematic flights. I'm interested in hearing from other experienced pilots regarding their observations or "tips of the trade".

PILOT STATEMENT:
The Pilot made a separate video with his statement:

ANALYSIS:
A new pilot gets their drone! They are so excited. They charge the battery, boot it up... and want to immediately put it up in the air. But where to fly? Why the backyard of course! Wow...what a great and spacious place to fly! What could possibly go wrong? LOL.

Launching a drone in a setting like this is a recipe for disaster. This type of back yard is the LAST place a novice pilot should fly! . Between trees, vines, power lines, high fences, water, many buildings around that will likely cause Wi-FI interference, and a postage stamp sized plot of land to fly from...this is NOT a good place to fly! Not only is there high risk for a malfunction, there is limited room to maneuver if something goes wrong. Ugh! What an expensive lesson to learn!

The pilot claims that he took a dronie, and when landing using "Return to Home", instead of landing at the spot he took off from, the Drone attempted to land behind him, resulting in a crash. I honestly don't know whether he opted to "return to pilot" or "return to launch site", but either way it doesn't really matter. With poor GPS, the drone landed roughly where it was supposed to. it is up to the pilot to control the drone and avoid crashing. This is hard to do when the camera is facing the pilot, and the controls are reverse from what might be instinctive. This crash is clearly due to pilot error.

In order to avoid a similar fate, I recommend novice pilots chose a clear open place to fly... away from any hazards. I also think it is a good idea for novice pilots to practice their own "take-off" and "landing". Pilots should not rely on Autopilot aka "Return to Home" to land for them. When landing, I recommend that novice pilots should orient the camera AWAY from themselves, as it is easier to control the drone from a first person perspective, if something goes wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raith11458