Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma Drone not connecting to Stabilizer

Kidcraze69

Reaction score
Bought the drone core on ebay in working condition , flew it about 10-15 times . i connected the controller to my wifi and noticed a new update on all 4 products the stabilizer , drone ,camera and controller . On the following day i connected everything like normal and noticed the drone wont connect to the stabilizer , it just flashes a red power button . I've tried everything , even with gopro support team . Gopro has one of the worst customer services ive ever had to deal with. I asked for a little help on a new core to see if this will solve the issue and nothing manager said it has to be a defected harness, after explaining i returned my Karma Grip to make sure. Has anyone on here had this issue ?

I had a simulair problem and support advices me to format the sd card on a pc or use another newly formatted card. I am testing it the next days.
My card is samsung evo 64gb

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

I had a very similar, if not, same problem with my karma drone. I contacted GoPro and they sent me a new camera harness which didn't solve the problem. They then said it was probably the stabilizer but I'm outside of my 1 year warranty and they won't replace it. Not sure what I'm going to do now.
As is, I plug in everything and turn it on but the green and red lights on the arms don't light up, the stabilizer doesn't come on (self level), and the camera has a square with a triangle at the bottom appear on the front screen only if I turn on the camera by pressing the mode button myself (otherwise the camera doesn't come on). The message I get from the controller is that the stabilizer is not connected.
I also bought mine used and it flew great for the first few flights but it was right around the time I updated the firmware that it wouldn't connect. Does anyone know if there's a way to go back to install the original firmware on all of the components of the Karma drone?

Hi Guys, Just taken delivery of a Hero 7 Black with all the bells and whistles!GoPro 7 - 4912 -.jpg

Reactions: Shon
I had a very similar, if not, same problem with my karma drone. I contacted GoPro and they sent me a new camera harness which didn't solve the problem. They then said it was probably the stabilizer but I'm outside of my 1 year warranty and they won't replace it. Not sure what I'm going to do now.
As is, I plug in everything and turn it on but the green and red lights on the arms don't light up, the stabilizer doesn't come on (self level), and the camera has a square with a triangle at the bottom appear on the front screen only if I turn on the camera by pressing the mode button myself (otherwise the camera doesn't come on). The message I get from the controller is that the stabilizer is not connected.
I also bought mine used and it flew great for the first few flights but it was right around the time I updated the firmware that it wouldn't connect. Does anyone know if there's a way to go back to install the original firmware on all of the components of the Karma drone?

Having the same issues as you currently. have had no success with replacing the harness and wondering if it's the firmware as well. Did you end up finding a way to downgrade it?

A couple of things. One, make sure the hand grip mounting ring is removed. Two, the locking ring is in the open position. One more make sure the drone socket and stabilizer are aligned.

Same problem, GoPro ran me through same trouble shooting without help. Just saw YouTube video and multiple comments stated new battery fixed problem. On sale now at GoPro for $59 so giving it a shot.

Battery did not help in my case. Took new core.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got new battery and everything working again. All lights came on, camera came on and stabilizer active and able to fly drone again.

Same problem, GoPro ran me through same trouble shooting without help. Just saw YouTube video and multiple comments stated new battery fixed problem. On sale now at GoPro for $59 so giving it a shot.

Just got new battery and everything working again. All lights came on, camera came on and stabilizer active and able to fly drone again.

Reactions: Ironspear
Same problem on one of my Karmas—unit one has been working perfectly but this week I got it out and now it won’t fully power up with the stabilizer and camera. Unit two will Power up and fly perfectly. Swapped stabilizer and camera from unit two into unit one, but it still fails to power up. Symptoms are: red.green lights come on as expected but the stabilizer and camera are dead therefore it won’t enter into flight mode. (Each drone has its own controller, and they’re labeled so they can’t get mixed up)

Unit one malfunctioned like this once before and I had to remove the battery to get it to turn off. I reinserted the battery with a firm and quick push into the bay and it afterwards worked as expected.

I later put in the battery from unit two and after this the drone worked perfectly also. Both batteries give about 20 minutes of flight.

Can anyone affirm what is the cause of this issue?

Now you have everything working again, i sugges to make the stanilizer permanent into the drone. Dont take it out again. If that usb-c wears out then youll never be able to fly again.

Same problem on one of my Karmas—unit one has been working perfectly but this week I got it out and now it won’t fully power up with the stabilizer and camera. Unit two will Power up and fly perfectly. Swapped stabilizer and camera from unit two into unit one, but it still fails to power up. Symptoms are: red.green lights come on as expected but the stabilizer and camera are dead therefore it won’t enter into flight mode. (Each drone has its own controller, and they’re labeled so they can’t get mixed up)

Unit one malfunctioned like this once before and I had to remove the battery to get it to turn off. I reinserted the battery with a firm and quick push into the bay and it afterwards worked as expected.

I later put in the battery from unit two and after this the drone worked perfectly also. Both batteries give about 20 minutes of flight.

Can anyone affirm what is the cause of this issue?

Glad you sorted it out.
Now dont keep disconnecting the gimbal from the drone as to not wearout the usb-c ports. Just get another used gopro and a cheap gimbal say from feiyutech g6/plus.

Be gentle to the battery when putting it in and out as to not wear out the battey port connectors in the drone. Otherwise no new battery will ever help.

Why would a USB C wear out? Very simple connector well designed. Even Apple using them on new iPads Pros and Macs and will be going that way on a lot of other things. Laptops going to USB C. No manufacturer would do that if they “wore out”. That is not the problem.

Problem seems to occur after long storage. Sometimes new battery helps, but not always. New stabilizer works sometimes, but not always. New mother board (actually they replace the whole core, fixed mine. Hard to figure out one cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: dronelover
Any connector or port will wear out eventually.

and about long storage, my theory is to detach the karma battery and the gopro camera from the gimbal. Because the those voltages and current will leak to the gimbal and the core and mess up capacitors and other electronics.
Just a theory.
My drone has been well for 3 straight years since the previous owner bought it new in 2017.

id just not take chances.

Dude. This happened to me as well. I stored the drone for about 8 months. When I finally pulled it out to use it this problem happened to it. I've had no luck, yet I didn't contact support. I think I'm gonna try the battery trick. I have a friend that has the same drone. I'm gonna try to borrow his battery to see if it helps.

For 8 months of storage, Did you have the battery inside the drone and the hero camera connected to the gimbal then to the drone?

Last edited:
Ok. Then that was the problem. The battery woth ways from camera and drone gave leaky currents into the drone/gimbal circuitry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS