Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma Drone "No Camera Detected"

pfftdives

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a Karma Drone that has had some low speed crashes (into a tree).. but has generally been functional. Lately it takes me up to an hour to get the system to power on and detect the camera. I've updated everything to the latest versions. The question I have is I dont know what to replace!! The camera works fine otherwise. The stabilizer seems to work fine if i use the grip. I've tried the "Grip reset" procedure. The one symptom that persists is the gopro doesnt turn on when I power the drone. The stabilizer moves around a bit and stabilizes, but often I have to manually turn on the camera and then either wait, or power cycle the drone to get a green light. Very concerned about flying something when I have to do this kabuki dance just to get a green status. What component would YOU replace? Looks like stabilizers are getting scarcer. Harness?

Have you re-calibrated, the stabilizer, Accelerator, and compass? There might be some internal damage you are not aware of?

I agree with Shon. There are no short cuts. Check the camera out with the Karma Grip. The problem may be with the camera.

So -- the one time I got it to run i was so thrilled i neglected to run the calibration. Unfortunately I can't get it to detect the camera again, so unless you know of a trick, I can't run any calibrations until the system is fully green. As I said in my OP, the camera works great in the grip, every time. Today I put in a new harness to see if that was it, and it behaves identically. Really don't want to start tearing this apart to look for a bad connection. Going to look on craigslist/ebay to see if anyones selling used working units so i can swap the body, and a gopro camera out.

If it works well in the grip, then go back and recalibrate the whole Karma set up. First make sure your batteries are at least half charge. Once again take your time, don't rush your fences! Better to do a fan dance, it is part of the Karma Ritual!

Please explain how I recalibrate when the system won't interact with the karma remote because the camera is not detected? :) I'm taking my time, but I don't see how to calibrate when it cant see the camera. Not an option. thanks.

As I mentioned if it works well with the grip, that means the stabilizer is OK. This means that your problem has to be the controller, though I suspect the problem could be in the Karma chassis.

Please explain how I recalibrate when the system won't interact with the karma remote because the camera is not detected? :) I'm taking my time, but I don't see how to calibrate when it cant see the camera. Not an option. thanks.

You can’t. If it works in grip and not in Karma, is most probably the Karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Look up the Karma Instructions by Jordan Hetrick. You will find them very informative, I have all his books on GoPro and Karma. It is most likely still to be in the chassis of the drone.

Yeah. I need to find someone in san diego who'd let me swap piece parts out until I figure out which one it is. Can't bring myself to buy a new stabilizer or drone body until i know whats wrong. :(

You know the stabilizer is good if it works in grip. Camera most probably good also. So two pieces left at macro level, the Karma itself and the controller. I cannot really see controller being issue. Somebody in San Diego must have a Karma. Meet up and plug your stabilizer and camera in their body and see what happens. A beer may be good investment then,better than a book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ironspear
Don"t Phoo Phoo a good Jordan Hetrick book! You may regret it.

The GoPro web site has a lot more useful technical stuff buried on it e than what one can find in a Jordan Hetrick book and I wasted $ to buy one so I can honestly say that. There are those who think quads of any type just fly out of box and others who profess that one has to recalibrate between flights, etc., etc. There is a more reasonable middle approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One has to treat the Karma gently, it is not a racing machine. See how it behaves in this Clip. Also get yourself a landing pad to keep sand out of the motors.

Hi there. I have a Karma Drone that has had some low speed crashes (into a tree).. but has generally been functional. Lately it takes me up to an hour to get the system to power on and detect the camera. I've updated everything to the latest versions. The question I have is I dont know what to replace!! The camera works fine otherwise. The stabilizer seems to work fine if i use the grip. I've tried the "Grip reset" procedure. The one symptom that persists is the gopro doesnt turn on when I power the drone. The stabilizer moves around a bit and stabilizes, but often I have to manually turn on the camera and then either wait, or power cycle the drone to get a green light. Very concerned about flying something when I have to do this kabuki dance just to get a green status. What component would YOU replace? Looks like stabilizers are getting scarcer. Harness?
can you solved it? :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS