Hello GoPro Karma Pilot!
Join our Go Pro Karma community today!

Karma Drone Follow me: Tips to keep controller open during activity

vanDaal

Reaction score
I've owned a Karma drone since a few months now. I'm very happy with the new follow me mode. However, since the controller needs to be opened in the follow me mode, I'm looking for ways to keep it open during activities (for example mountain biking or skiing). Holding in your hand is an option, but there must be better ideas. Anyone?

Technically you have to be holding in and in control of the drone via the FAA rules.... So it's not like you can throw it in a backpack and be on your way. I see where you are coming from and I wish they had something where you can be hands free with the control in fast reach... I guess we will see!

Reactions: Hummingbird
At risk of breaking rules as said above, all the new backpacks seem to have cargo netting or straps and I'm sure you can strap the controller to a small backpack to have it follow you while breaking the FAA rules of recreational flight

At risk of breaking rules as said above, all the new backpacks seem to have cargo netting or straps and I'm sure you can strap the controller to a small backpack to have it follow you while breaking the FAA rules of recreational flight
Yes, but I would hate for something to happen and then when you go to report it to your UAS insurance/FAA and they ask if you had the remote in your hand and were in full control..... answer would be no.

Reactions: Robbybad
I’m not suggesting you do this.... but...I’ve seen someone use the foam piece that comes in the backpack packaging, sandwiching it between the control screen and the control sticks with some rubber bands. This allowed the controller to stay open just far enough, that “follow me” mode will stay active... even with the controller thrown in a backpack. It also seems to protect the joysticks from accidentally getting jostled around as he rode his bike.

I would personally be too worried about not having quick access to my remote to even try this... not to mention the laws that might be violated...

Can someone here please tell me how exactly you get into the Follow Me Mode? I've tried looking through google and even youtube but they all seem to already be in the mode before the video was taken. Cheers :)

With your drone already on and flying, you select the drone icon at the bottom right of the touch screen. You then select “follow me”.

Your drone will need to be at a high enough altitude for the follow mode to work.

With your drone already on and flying, you select the drone icon at the bottom right of the touch screen. You then select “follow me”.

Your drone will need to be at a high enough altitude for the follow mode to work.

Thanks mate, I'll try that today :D

well, it might be quite dangerous if there's connection lost. also, I'm a bit worried of joysticks being accidentally clamped.
but I've seen some video on YouTube suggesting to put some foam and wrap the controller with the straps.
that said, I'm considering to give such setup a try but first I'm gonna ride a bike with the (opened) controller placed in handlebar basket and see how it goes.

well, it might be quite dangerous if there's connection lost. also, I'm a bit worried of joysticks being accidentally clamped.
but I've seen some video on YouTube suggesting to put some foam and wrap the controller with the straps.
that said, I'm considering to give such setup a try but first I'm gonna ride a bike with the (opened) controller placed in handlebar basket and see how it goes.

Don't be like this Mavic 2 Zoom owner, LOL:

I guess we are all prone to act stupid from time to time.
but that's just a bit too much.

a good(?) thing about Karma is after all the bad reviews pilots are extra-cautious. well, at least they are supposed to be.

Reactions: Ironspear and Shon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTFLYS